Why do you write poetry? (for all the poets that post in here)

Options

Comments

• Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It looks like everyone is on that writers block!!!!

What's up with that??!?! I know somebody has got to write about something!!

So who ever wanna collab with me on a jawn I'm open for it! Whatever topic is cool with me, I'm willing to delve into anything poetical.

I've been working on this jawn call Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but I been doing a whole lot researching on colonization and assimilation so I thought I was finish but clearly I'm not after all my findings.. Embarking on this research, I read along the lines that palestines and native americans share so much commonalities, neverthless I thought ppl from afar has and is going thru the same struggles as my people have endured.. Anyways, just wanna put that out there, share ya'll my latests research findings that has inspired me to write bury my heart at wounded knee!

Peace and blessings fellow poets and writers!
  • Nenochtoo
    Nenochtoo Members Posts: 37
    edited November 2010
    Options
    tupacfan wrote: »
    Their's a reason why we write, express ourselves and I'd like to know when did you started writing? what inspired you to write? post one of your favorite lines or one of your favorite poems?

After a few poets answer, I'll follow suit and reply..

*Mods, sticky this... a poets introduciton is needed here in WTE...

Why write poetry ?

If there has be a reason -
    Sometimes I think it is a way
    to make what we say
    last more than a day
    and maybe longer than a season.
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Nenochtoo wrote: »
    Why write poetry ?

If there has be a reason -
    Sometimes I think it is a way
    to make what we say
    last more than a day
    and maybe longer than a season.

Thanks for sharing btw..
  • REAL_POETICAL
    REAL_POETICAL Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I write to avoid shattered mirrors
    biblical tossing and violent justification
    to express my darkest secrets
    and become the real me
    the real me beyond the real ability to be me
    but the realness thats bold that my afraid body
    lone to keep inside
    i write to recite the scriptures in my words
    to cancel the enemy's plan
    and hand it to the next man or woman
    to become more than what they claim to be
    i write to remake reality
    and free the world from the mask its supporting
    so they can all see whats lost the moment they exit ?
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I write because I want to express my feelings in a way that doesn't involve breaking things.

I feel it, I feel it...

Thanks for sharing with is btw..

And I'm digging the hell outta ur sig!
  • hiphoplover22
    hiphoplover22 Members Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I write because its the only way ppl may listen to me.
    Jalayna
  • L.I.P.
    L.I.P. Members Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I write because i find it to be the most fulfilling way to express myself. I also find it to be a very good exercise. After a longggg ass time I figured I would share some of my stuff so I'm gonna post some in a bit
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    L.I.P. wrote: »
    I write because i find it to be the most fulfilling way to express myself. I also find it to be a very good exercise. After a longggg ass time I figured I would share some of my stuff so I'm gonna post some in a bit

I feel it. I too feel that need to express myself and writing has to be my outlet.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Peace!
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i use to write all the time even waking up in the middle of the night to write down thoughts..but i've been in a padded room lately i just cant seem to get it going..any ideas on what i should do..should i force it or just let it come?
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Seansosa wrote: »
    i use to write all the time even waking up in the middle of the night to write down thoughts..but i've been in a padded room lately i just cant seem to get it going..any ideas on what i should do..should i force it or just let it come?

Never force your writing. Let it come to you. I suggest listening to music or watch a tv show that stirs up your emotions. I know for me whenever I hear some fight music or watch a show with a somber song in the background, my mind start to churn, thus words are thought of.
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options

Na, don't force it. Just let it come to you.. step outta your comfort zone, take a nature walk, get in touch with nature, idk hike the nearest mountain around your area and just let your spirit be free and words will come to you..

I think we all go thru that phase. good luck and keep on writting..
  • Seansosa
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Never force your writing. Let it come to you. I suggest listening to music or watch a tv show that stirs up your emotions. I know for me whenever I hear some fight music or watch a show with a somber song in the background, my mind start to churn, thus words are thought of.

preciate the wrds homie!..and.@tupacfan...thx fam
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    preciate the wrds homie!..and.@tupacfan...thx fam

No Doubt!

That's what this thread is for, writiers needing inspiration, motivation and so forth..
  • Seansosa
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No Doubt!

That's what this thread is for, writiers needing inspiration, motivation and so forth..

you write anything lately ??
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    you write anything lately ??

Im actually gonna post something right now, that I had wrote yesterday.

I write everyday, every chance I get I write.. During lunch, late at night, early in the morning.. ? I write everyday.. I be getting inspired by anything and everything. Place, people, situation, a thing, whatever I'm feeling, thinking, senseing.. I jot it down lol.
  • Seansosa
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Im actually gonna post something right now, that I had wrote yesterday.

I write everyday, every chance I get I write.. During lunch, late at night, early in the morning.. ? I write everyday.. I be getting inspired by anything and everything. Place, people, situation, a thing, whatever I'm feeling, thinking, senseing.. I jot it down lol.

im gonna post something later today be on the lookout lol
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    im gonna post something later today be on the lookout lol

I'll be on the look out for that.. Fa sho.. So go on ahead and post summin.. :)
  • POEATREEMAN
    POEATREEMAN Members Posts: 62
    edited November 2010
    Options
    WHY DO POETS WRITE?

To Keep in Touch
    with ? and Soul

To Keep The Heart
    From Growing Old

To Nourish Love
    with Pain and Sorrow

To Keep The Cares
    From Losing Ground

To Keep The Faith
    When Days are Long

To Let The Spirit
    Speak in Rhymes

To Say a Prayer
    in Words I Knew

To Give Thanks
    I am Here with You.

A Poeatreeman

The Lines I Write
    Let it Speak of Love

The Lines I use

Let it Not Be
    Just Words I Write

Let it Say
    I Spoke of Life

Let it Show
    How I Lived My Life

Let it Be
    Known I am Human

Know
    I am Judged By One

Not By any Human

Less They
    Judged Themselves

They Will See Their Self.

A Poet's Note

Why Do Poets Write

To Keep Despair
    From Breaking Ground

To Keep Hope
    From Dwindling Down

To Keep Cares
    From Feeling Not

To Keep Tears
    From Drying Up

To Keep Happiness
    From Sorrows Hurt

To Keep Pain
    From Getting Worse

To Keep Faith
    From Breaking Down

To Keep Love
    From Losing Heart

To Keep Myself
    From Cracking Up

To Keep It All
    From Falling Apart.

Edgar Allan Prieto
    12/16/97
    Copyright ©2007 Edgar Allan Prieto
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ^^^ awesome response! I like that.

Thanks for sharing your poetic piece from a response standpoint to my question.

Thanks!
  • jaywillis
    jaywillis Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sup fam. I go by Jaywillis... I'm outta southern Louisiana, where its always hot & poverty reins. I started writing in high-school back in the 90's, so I guess that makes me a old head.. I stopped cause the streets was my life. A few months ago I started writing again, & while visiting my moms I found one of my old pads.. & here I am. I like to write to make myself laugh, sometimes just to get my anger out. Not everything I write is tru, I often find myself writing as if I'm another person.. lol. I don't wanna seem corny, but that's how I do..
  • Tupacfan
    edited December 2010
    Options
    jaywillis wrote: »
    Sup fam. I go by Jaywillis... I'm outta southern Louisiana, where its always hot & poverty reins. I started writing in high-school back in the 90's, so I guess that makes me a old head.. I stopped cause the streets was my life. A few months ago I started writing again, & while visiting my moms I found one of my old pads.. & here I am. I like to write to make myself laugh, sometimes just to get my anger out. Not everything I write is tru, I often find myself writing as if I'm another person.. lol. I don't wanna seem corny, but that's how I do..

Your not the only person back in high school from the 90's lol, that's probably around that time since I started writing poetry too in the 90's early 90's.. Now i feel old lol. Thanks for stopping on thru and introducing yourself to this poetry forum. I feel it, write to laugh, to vent, tell stories from a third person. A lot of poets do use the third person method, which I enjoy. Flipping the pages from old poetry usually brings inspiration and allows you see yourself how much you've grown.. Always good to look back into your old poetry. I should do that sometimes.
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hey whats up everyone? i'm new to the thread and i enjoy writing from time to time. i don't consider it poetry, it's more of a free writing style. i have a blog up if any one is interested.

http://thugpoetry.blogspot.com/

i was always scared to share my writing but my friend told i should, and here i am. i have only posted a few old ones on my site but more will be there soon.
  • Tupacfan
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^^^ thanks for droppin in on us! Preciate that.

Definitely feel free to share some of your material here, you could inspire or motive others to write something you know.

Anyhow, just wanna welcome you and don't be scared to post ur poems.. Its all love and support here for all writers.. Not just poets but writers as well.

Peace.
  • love yal
    love yal Members Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2011
    Options
    What's up everyone, thanks for letting me come on this thread, sorry I dropped late, I got into writing because I have friends that raps always freestyling, High school, on break people sometimes just fool around start break dancing some will just start making beats hitting the wall and start freestyling, since I had lots homework in english class, I started
    writing for fun nothing serious, just make english class fun, but I was more into drawing then anything else, but like freestyling when everybody gets in mood, even if ,I dont make sense, I still try, I enjoy listing other people stuff that how I got into it too..
  • Tupacfan
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thanks for droppin in first and foremost!

I feel that, being inspired and motivated by others to write.. Its good that you had a positive outlet to vent to as well.

Also, I can tell u have passion for freestyling, some people give up when they feel they are starting to sound wack.. But you, you have confidence and that's a big plus, it will further you with your freestyle and open many avenues if you'd wanted to.. But keep doing what u do and droppin verses on us..

No doubt..

Use this thread for writing tips, or just to simply conversate on poetry topics or the alikes of it..

Thanks again for sharing when and why u started writing..

Peace!