Gender roles in 2010?

Options
BEAM
BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
Do you guys agree or disagree with the gender roles of our society?

Examples::

*Like how men are dominant, and providers, and have the final say in a relationship, and emotionally numb, etc...
*And women should be caring and supportive, submissive, and should stay at home and raise kids, etc...

What do y'all think?

Isn't this isht out-dated? Or is it just me...

Discuss.

Comments

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • moongirl1988
    moongirl1988 Members Posts: 10
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Having two working parents increases the standard of living within a household, so I think that women working is a great thing (plus most families could not survive on only one income). I think that women being caring and supportive is a good quality, but I think this quality shouldn't be restricted to women and that men should be caring and supportive too.

I would NOT want to date/marry an emotionally numb man. However, I do think that a man should be the head of the household and if I were to ever get married, I would view my husband as such. I would still want to work and have some financial independence, however, in case something happened to him so I could continue to take care of myself and my family.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    my personal opinion is that they're necessary for a harmonious relationship; but at the same time, we don't live in the days of our parents and grandparents so it's not as black and white as it used to be.

word .
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Kay. wrote: »
    The fact that males created both gender roles without consideration given, is what makes them a giant fail.

what consideration should be given?
    what do you want to do that's different?
    you want to be emotionally numb?
    you want to be the provider?
  • death187sin
    death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Random backhands keep balance in the relationship!
  • TooXquisite
    TooXquisite Members Posts: 75
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It depends on the individuals. I don't think anyone should feel like they HAVE to do certain things because of society. Do what works. If that means the wife works and the husband stays home, do that.
  • damobb2deep
    edited January 2010
    Options
    LMAO

They never worked. Consider the fact that women were not legally considered PEOPLE until the turn of the last century.
    Consider the fact that up until 30 some odd years before the got the vote, it was legal to beat your wife nearly to death.
    Consider that all of her property, even funds made, belonged to you alone.
    The wife was an object, not a person. And had no means to leave even if they wanted to. Nevermind the fact that killing your wife, while technically illegal, was hardly ever brought to court 100 years ago.
    The quality of life for women only improved when they gained their rights to independence and personhood.

Want proof?
    Look to the nations where those gender roles are still enforced. Are you going to say that the family structure there is any better? When in countries like India women are still burned alive for something as petty as being disliked by their husbands family?

u must be a die hard
    feminist huh?......
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    u must be a die hard
    feminist huh?......

lmao
    she burned her bra before she clicked "post quick reply"
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    -Full rights at all times. Personhood, right to dissent, right to private property, right to make independent choices.
    -Right to define own role within the relationship, rather then having your life dictated to you by someone else...Freedom.
    -Women are providers now, they head households now. Fact is that in many two parent households, regardless of race, the males still resist taking responsibility of household duties. Leaving the wife with what is essentially a 24/7 job, where she's got to provide at work, while also providing for her husband the moment they're both home (according to 'traditional' roles).

As far as being emotionally numb..How is that a desirable characteristic in any way?

i kinda agree
    ? will shirk on certain tasks because they are deemed too feminine
    when in all actuality its just being helpful and responsible
    but how do you think women will react to that type of freedom?
    they not used to it
    i don't even think some of them have as much of a problem with it as you do
    they may even like the gender roles
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    endangering the ? how tho?
    how?
    i'm super confused
    ? kinda relationships you be in?
    yall both mountain climbers or some ? ?
    you know the bungee cord is kinda weak but he's the man so you listen to him anyway?
    have you ever fallen to your death?
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If they're happy with them. They can go ahead and have them *shurg*
    But I resent my role as a woman being dictated to me by men who don't have my feelings, thoughts, or future well being in mind.

why do you hate men?
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Yo thats what im tryna find out.. Its crazy.. She just got a problem takin orders from a Man.. Thats all that is.. She dont respect her Man enough to be able to let him have the final say on whats best for the family and the relation..

Gone sit there and say just cuz he has a ? ?.. Granted a lot of these muthafuckas out here are ? up.. But being a "MAN" a "REAL MAN" is a lot more then just havin a ? sweetheart..

i'm not gon front and sit here and be like
    i should have the final say at all times
    i believe a relationship should be a cooperative effort
    but she makin it seem like men are bumbling idiots and she knows best
    she not trying to get rid of the gender roles at all it seems
    just trying to reverse them
  • damobb2deep
    edited January 2010
    Options
    why do you hate men?

i wanna kno this too
  • nurid
    nurid Members Posts: 167
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Gender roles are silly and limiting.
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Absolutely NOT.

I believe that whomever is more familiar with the issue they are dealing with should take the lead in dealing with it.
    If my husband knows what he's talking about, then I'll trust his judgment on it. But if he doesn't, then I won't.
    That's like letting him remake the washroom, when he knows nothing about plumbing.
    No ones judgement is perfect, and no one should be treated like theirs is.

oh i see . . .
  • BEAM
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Wow. lol These dudes are actually serious about this "final say" isht.

Listen, I'm a guy, and I flat out disagree with any and all forms of societal pressures that dictate how I operate in any relationship or circumstance. Period.

All you nigs trying to press this "Final Say" nonsense. Think about if someone tried this on you.

*What if you and someone else were doing a project, you voiced your opinion, and the other person was like,

"Okay, I'll consider your opinion, but in the end I have the final say on what this project is going to be. If you don't like it, get the fugg out."

What would your reaction be? And if this was permanent?

You wouldn't like. At all.

Therefore, you shouldn't be able to impose yourself upon a female. They're every bit as capable as you are at EVERYTHING; except maybe physical labor. But that isht doesn't matter anyway. It's 2010, not the Cave Days...
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Gender roles outdated and restrictive... not my style at all
  • nurid
    nurid Members Posts: 167
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

Listen, I'm a guy, and I flat out disagree with any and all forms of societal pressures that dictate how I operate in any relationship or circumstance. Period.

All you nigs trying to press this "Final Say" nonsense. Think about if someone tried this on you.

*What if you and someone else were doing a project, you voiced your opinion, and the other person was like,

"Okay, I'll consider your opinion, but in the end I have the final say on what this project is going to be. If you don't like it, get the fugg out."

What would your reaction be? And if this was permanent?

You wouldn't like. At all.

Therefore, you shouldn't be able to impose yourself upon a female. They're every bit as capable as you are at EVERYTHING; except maybe physical labor. But that isht doesn't matter anyway. It's 2010, not the Cave Days...

That's why I just drop my opinion and get the hell on.
    I'm willing to explain why I feel a certain way on any subject, but I'm not about to battle my point of view with anyone.
  • Shuffington
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

its not just the dudes.
    plenty of women dont mind a guy to have the "final say" all the time.
  • BEAM
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Beam, I like you. Lol

I don't want to control or coerce anyone, and I don't want to be controlled or coerced.
    Is that really so bad?

Not by any stretch of then imagination. ^_^
    nurid wrote: »
    That's why I just drop my opinion and get the hell on.
    I'm willing to explain why I feel a certain way on any subject, but I'm not about to battle my point of view with anyone.

That's actually the smartest way to go.
    People will legitimately get heated over some random, irrelevant person's opinion, as if it actually matters in this grand scheme of things...

I've already fallen victim to it since I've been here.
    Resisting the urge to stomp out dumb isht is almost impossible. lol
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    my personal opinion is that they're necessary for a harmonious relationship; but at the same time, we don't live in the days of our parents and grandparents so it's not as black and white as it used to be.

^^^^^
    This....
  • BackInWhite
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its not just the dudes.

that's what i said in a earlier post
    a lotta chicks don't want the final say
    a lotta chicks don't mind the gender roles
    you can't blame a ? that pushes that ? if every chick HE ever dealt with was cool with it
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Most chicks got jobs, most ? don't.
  • BEAM
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its not just the dudes.

To me, giving another flawful human being the authority to make decisions for you is just like giving them your life, in its entirety.

That's not what marriage should be.

Marriage should be a union of two entirely functioning and capable individuals, under which no one has control over the other in any way, allowing for a wholesome syncing of good values, decision making abilities, and love.

The ? is elementary.
  • Shuffington
    edited January 2010
    Options
    that's what i said in a earlier post
    a lotta chicks don't want the final say
    a lotta chicks don't mind the gender roles
    you can't blame a ? that pushes that ? if every chick HE ever dealt with was cool with it

Word, I dont knock it (well actually i do)
    I think its pretty antiquated ...but then again, im not one to look for passivity ...more so the ability to compromise.
    I dont see how a women could be content with a man having the final say every-time.

What are gender roles exactly any way? Men bring home the ingredients and women cook em?
    heh?..

I wonder sometimes.