Gender roles in 2010?

Options

Comments

• bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Kay. wrote: »
    The fact that males created both gender roles without consideration given, is what makes them a giant fail.

Males didnt create gender roles...Nature did.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Males didnt create gender roles...Nature did.

Is that so...

How?
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Is that so...

How?

Alot of these gender roles are based on nature or directly from the bible.

16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. 17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

All of what you said in your first post is pretty much based off of this scripture. My interpretation of it is that your physical body determined what you can and cannot do, thus determining gender roles. Lets go back to the days before we had all of this technology and your body was your best and only tool. The man was the one with the physical body best suited to hunt the food, build shelter and serve as protector. That was by nature, and thats they reason for this type of thinking. Before we had the luxury of desk jobs, and jobs that dont require to much physical stress the woman was restricted to being the care taker. She submitted to the will of the man because her survival depended on him.

The currency system institutionalized this dynamic because if people we're just living off of their own land and bartering the male would be the breadwinner and the woman would fall back into a role prescribed to her by nature.
  • BEAM
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Alot of these gender roles are based on nature or directly from the bible.

16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. 17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

All of what you said in your first post is pretty much based off of this scripture. My interpretation of it is that your physical body determined what you can and cannot do, thus determining gender roles. Lets go back to the days before we had all of this technology and your body was your best and only tool. The man was the one with the physical body best suited to hunt the food, build shelter and serve as protector. That was by nature, and thats they reason for this type of thinking. Before we had the luxury of desk jobs, and jobs that dont require to much physical stress the woman was restricted to being the care taker. She submitted to the will of the man because her survival depended on him.

Okay, kudos for backing up your claim.

But today, the isht is a result of prehistoric thinking and entirely unnecessary.

Besides, think about it like this, for men to perpetuate that way of thinking into a time where physical capability mean virtually nothing is asinine and selfish.

That was the point of my starting this thread, to voice that gender roles are a thing of the past.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    getdafuckouttaherewiththatbs
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Gender roles work, but both parties have to be consistent, IE women have to be consistent. You can't jump back and forth when it's convenient. If you like to be "treated like a lady" then treat me like a man and cook, clean, and make sure a ? is greeted with a smile when you see me.

If you don't like gender roles, don't expect for me to hold doors, take you out, pay for dates, and give you any of the typical female privileges.

But most these ? wanna have the red carpet rolled out for them, and at the same time say I'm not your momma cook your own damn food. With all the ? I've ? with in my life, only 1 female was consistent with that logic. I opened the doors, paid for dates, pushed the shopping cart, took out trash, mowed the lawn, and did anything considered to be "man work." And she cooked, cleaned, made sure my drink was cold, cleaned up after me,and made sure a ? stayed in her mouth. Even though she was ultimately a lousy ? , at least shorty was ethical in her dealings in that regard.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i think whatever role you and your partner decide to take on is your business
    but just don't flip flop on your role to make it convenient for you. Thats what confuses people and causes problems.got in a heated debate with some friends about this recently.
  • Fooley
    Fooley Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Wow. lol These dudes are actually serious about this "final say" isht.

Listen, I'm a guy, and I flat out disagree with any and all forms of societal pressures that dictate how I operate in any relationship or circumstance. Period.

All you nigs trying to press this "Final Say" nonsense. Think about if someone tried this on you.

*What if you and someone else were doing a project, you voiced your opinion, and the other person was like,

"Okay, I'll consider your opinion, but in the end I have the final say on what this project is going to be. If you don't like it, get the fugg out."

What would your reaction be? And if this was permanent?

You wouldn't like. At all.

Therefore, you shouldn't be able to impose yourself upon a female. They're every bit as capable as you are at EVERYTHING; except maybe physical labor. But that isht doesn't matter anyway. It's 2010, not the Cave Days...

Someone has to have the final say, if two people disagree someone has to make the decision or they will be stagnant. And I will have the final say, I can't let a woman lead me. Of course, if I know she's familiar with a particular situation I will ask her what she think we should do, but I still have the final say. If a woman thinks I should mow the lawn, rake the leaves, and be responsible for the upkeep of the house in a mechanical or hands on approach because I'm a man, I think she should ? cook, clean, and wash.
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Fooley wrote: »
    Someone has to have the final say, if two people disagree someone has to make the decision or they will be stagnant. And I will have the final say, I can't let a woman lead me. Of course, if I know she's familiar with a particular situation I will ask her what she think we should do, but I still have the final say. If a woman thinks I should mow the lawn, rake the leaves, and be responsible for the upkeep of the house in a mechanical or hands on approach because I'm a man, I think she should ? cook, clean, and wash.

thats fine bu if she doesnt wanna do that ? . She can leave just like you can leave, and I wouldnt consider either person
    as breaking some rule. ? we all free to do what the ? this gender role ? .
  • the_underground
    the_underground Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think it would be obvious what I thought about this topic. But there's no point in discussing it with guys here.
  • The Übermensch
    The Übermensch Members Posts: 52
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Gender roles, like most social constructs, stifles growth and potential. Like I said in the other thread, gender roles do have some basis in Biology, however, our biological differences ceased being relevant around the time of the industrial revolution. People cling to gender roles out of complacency and convenience, not necessity.
  • Soulljah T
    Soulljah T Banned Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't believe in gender roles, and by that I mean the definition half the ic's ? go by, and that is men leading, making the last decision, women being the maids, having no power or opinion, ran over and demeaned because she's a female. ? that ? , I ain't that kinda woman to let that ? go down. But anyway, I do believe in running a relationship based on the personalities involved. Relationships are about doing things in an individualistic manner, not gender specific roles, it's about the differing personalities and what works for them, and that's why there is no such thing as a set standard of specific rules each gender must follow in a relationship, what ? . That's a myth, a demeaning ridiculous myth. Gender specific roles are not real to me and that's evident by women like me who do not follow men or allow ourselves to be controlled. Some men don't care to set roles, care to argue or act like a macho tough guy either, they just live life and take the day as it goes.But I don't expect you ic sexists to understand that.
  • BEAM
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Fooley wrote: »

By all means, kid, Do you.

But even still, there is no basis to your preference beyond it being a societal pressure spawned thousands of years ago that you happen to be on the convenient end of.

I think it would be obvious what I thought about this topic. But there's no point in discussing it with guys here.

Please don't paint with such a broad brush.
    Of all of the posters on this site, I wield some of the more revolutionary and futuristic ideas about things, ideas that I share with many of the female posters here.
    Unless you're on some next level type isht, I'm pretty sure we can find common ground.

Gender roles, like most social constructs, stifles growth and potential. Like I said in the other thread, gender roles do have some basis in Biology, however, our biological differences ceased being relevant around the time of the industrial revolution. People cling to gender roles out of complacency and convenience, not necessity.

Exactly.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Soulljah T wrote: »
    I don't believe in gender roles, and by that I mean the definition half the ic's ? go by, and that is men leading, making the last decision, women being the maids, having no power or opinion, ran over and demeaned because she's a female. ? that ? , I ain't that kinda woman to let that ? go down. But anyway, I do believe in running a relationship based on the personalities involved. Relationships are about doing things in an individualistic manner, not gender specific roles, it's about the differing personalities and what works for them, and that's why there is no such thing as a set standard of specific rules each gender must follow in a relationship, what ? . That's a myth, a demeaning ridiculous myth. Gender specific roles are not real to me and that's evident by women like me who do not follow men or allow ourselves to be controlled. Some men don't care to set roles, care to argue or act like a macho tough guy either, they just live life and take the day as it goes.But I don't expect you ic sexists to understand that.

seems like you just want someone that you can walk over

smh @ you lookin for a man that you are stronger than

enjoy
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

I tell you this your going to find it very hard to find a husband, i bet you ain't even ever had a boyfriend.
  • jbrooks229
    jbrooks229 Members Posts: 1,306 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? outdated....

thats logic was when america actually had "families"= husband , wife , kids

but now marriage doesn't exist and that means most of the time no morals or family values

single parenthood leads to children having one sided perspectives

so any standards that were considered normal are now rarities.
  • Soulljah T
    edited June 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    I tell you this your going to find it very hard to find a husband, i bet you ain't even ever had a boyfriend.

I do have a boyfriend, and there's nothing in my post that warrants a negative reply from your ? , you're just stalking me as usual just to pop ? . ? yourself, ? .
    seems like you just want someone that you can walk over

smh @ you lookin for a man that you are stronger than

enjoy

Where in my post does it give off that impression, you dumb monkey? Bold it. Prove to me you're not just acting foolish because I'm constantly referencing how ugly your lips are or shut the ? up.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I do have a boyfriend, and there's nothing in my post that warrants a negative reply from your ? , you're just stalking me as usual just to pop ? . ? yourself, ? .

Where in my post does it give off that impression, you dumb monkey? Bold it. Prove to me you're not just acting foolish because I'm constantly referencing how ugly your lips are or shut the ? up.

You stupid ? are you really that slow?

You got issues, let me help you with them

You believe in running relationships according to the personalities involved? And your personality prolly sucks by the way but that's not my point

Guess what somebody has to take the lead and you claim that you don't follow a man so you must want him to follow you.

Everything with you is a control issue or the same old I'm not weak argument. You try to overcompensate for you insecurities by trying
    to act tougher than you are. It only makes you look weaker not to mention stupid in the end.

The sad part is you don't run ? but your mouth.

Were you abused as a child? Scared to smile they called you ugly?
  • Soulljah T
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You stupid ? are really that slow?

You got issues, let me help you with them

You believe in running relationships according to the personalities involved? And your personality prolly sucks by the way but that's not my point

Guess what somebody has to take the lead and you claim that you don't follow a man so you must want him to follow you.

Everything with you is a control issue or the same old I'm not weak argument. You try to overcompensate for you insecurities by trying
    to act tougher than you are. It only makes you look weaker not to mention stupid in the end.

The sad part is you don't run ? but your mouth.

Were you abused as a child? Scared to smile they called you ugly?

LOL @ you calling me dumb while your "proof" of me being apparently controlling/weak is just resentment-fueled anger from my constant ? on your face, as if your lips didn't look ? enough. You reply to me with an "insult" you apparently forgot to think of in the Argument thread instead of accurately and intelligently debating. Of all the interpretations of my post you could have come up with, you let your hurt feelings do the comprehending for you.

This ? goes home crying to his mommy talking about "waaaah, she made fun of my lips again, are they really that big, mommy?" ? until you're emotionally straight, ? . Don't follow me in here with your ? , go back to the Argument thread w/ that, I'll finish whoppin yo azz in there. Now get out, scram.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOL @ you calling me dumb while your "proof" of me being apparently controlling/weak is just resentment-fueled anger from my constant ? on your face, as if your lips don't look literally ? on enough. You reply to me with an "insult" you apparently forgot to think of in the Argument thread instead of accurately and intelligently debating. Of all the interpetations of my post you could have come up with, you let your hurt feelings do the comprehending for you.

This ? goes home crying to his mommy talking about "waaaah, she made fun of my lips again, are they really that big, mommy?" ? until you're emotionally straight, ? . Don't follow me in here with your ? , go back to the Argument thread w/ that, I'll holla at you in there.

how did we get back on my lips again?

and how can you can ? on my face because I'm handsome? Your'e delusional

anyway stay on topic

You have control issues and you're afraid of your own weaknesses so to mask it you try act overly tough

you know what da ? I'm talking bout ?

let it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn!
  • Soulljah T
    edited June 2010
    Options
    how did we get back on my lips again?

and how can you can ? on my face because I'm handsome? Your'e delusional

anyway stay on topic

You have control issues and you're afraid of your own weaknesses so to mask it you try act overly tough

you know what da ? I'm talking bout ?

let it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn!

I'm on topic, ? . Refer to the ''Of all the interpretations you could have gotten out of my post, you let your hurt feelings on account of me ? on your face do the comprehending,'' part, BIOTCH.

& smh at you tryna front like Dr. Phil on an internet forum just cuz somebody don't like you. Be one of them ? gettin' up after bein' dragged half way across the country by two white racist ? , talkin' 'bout "You have control issues, man!!"
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm on topic, ? . Refer to the ''Of all the interpretations you could have gotten out of my post, you let your hurt feelings on account of me ? on your face do the comprehending,'' part, BIOTCH.

& smh at you tryna front like Dr. Phil on an internet forum just cuz somebody don't like you. Be one of them ? gettin' up after bein' dragged half way across the country by two white racist ? , talkin' 'bout "You have control issues, man!!"

what part don't you understand? I don't know you so why would I care if you don't like me.

you aint nothing but another poster who's wackness seeps through with every post you make

get off my ?

just let it buuuuuuuuuuurn and shut da ? already
  • Soulljah T
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what part don't you understand? I don't know you so why would I care if you don't like me.

you aint nothing but another poster who's wackness seeps through with every post you make

get off my ?

just let it buuuuuuuuuuurn and shut da ? already

You DONT know me, exactly, that's right. So why the hell you ATTEMPTING to go into depth about someone you DONT know or don't care about? This...this "wackness" you speak of, Dr. Phil, does it count for contradicting, emotional lames who falsely attack another for being "controlling" while simultaneously quoting song lyrics by control freak Usher himself?
  • Soulljah T
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Deezy625 wrote: »
    goin back n forth wit a hoe like soulja = loss

I'm a respectful lady, not a garden tool, you "brighten my day", remote sucking, self-? swallowing ? of a man.
  • simplyspeaking
    simplyspeaking Confirm Email Posts: 2,195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't like gender roles. Of course, I do believe that there
    are certain characteristics and traits that are more prevalent with each sex,
    but to draw a line and said that these are final and all should
    abide by them is limiting to who/what the individual who doesn't fit truely is.
    I also want to do what I want to with my own life.
    Maybe Im missing something, but why is it so offensive when a woman wants to do what she wants to with her own life?