So......Anyone in here in IT???

Options
Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Strictly Business
Information Technology? What is your specific dicipline? Have you had any luck with employment?

Comments

• Zona
    Zona Members Posts: 32
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah. I did IT work when I was in the Air Force. When I got out I got hired to do the same exact job. Right now i'm doing Sys Admin work and I like it.
    You looking to get into the IT field?
  • QB - 6th Edition
    QB - 6th Edition Banned Users Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Zona wrote: »
    Yeah. I did IT work when I was in the Air Force. When I got out I got hired to do the same exact job. Right now i'm doing Sys Admin work and I like it.

sounds great.... is it?
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Zona wrote: »

Yes I am. Information Assurance is my field of study. What exactly does a System Admin work involve?
  • Zona
    Zona Members Posts: 32
    edited August 2010
    Options
    There are a lot of different duties in sys admin work. It really depends on which job you apply for. Some places might put you specifically on a certain function, some might want you to do all of it. if you go to Dice you can see what companies are looking for.
    For the most part sys admins work on Exchange, ad, dfs, sccm, scripting, print server, server admin to name a few....
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    *Raises hand*

Information Systems Security/Network Admin.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Information Technology? What is your specific dicipline? Have you had any luck with employment?

in a round about way, yes. I'm an engineer, but I have an IT background.

Unix admin (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, SCO, System V, and Linux), AS/400-iSeries admin/ops, Win32 admin, VMWare subject matter expert, and a whole lot more.

The two most lucrative positions to hold are Unix admin and AS/400 admin. I've seen job reqs paying $70/hr for AS/400 and constantly see $50/hr for Unix admins.
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    oh, I'm also going into network security.
  • QB - 6th Edition
    QB - 6th Edition Banned Users Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2010
    Options
    yeah IT is the way to go
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    helpdesk ? post.........
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yea I focus more on IA and System/Network Admin.
  • Aquafinafloe
    Aquafinafloe Banned Users Posts: 2,871
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i went to school for networking and info security yet due to babys dad drama didnt finish it up but if i had to have a choice to go back i would get the a+ in networking and focus a bit on proper structures and all out securing networks
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i went to school for networking and info security yet due to babys dad drama didnt finish it up but if i had to have a choice to go back i would get the a+ in networking and focus a bit on proper structures and all out securing networks

well you want Net + and Security +, A+ is more for hardware and software troubleshooting. all are entry level, but combined with experience will get your foot in the door, over somebody with just a degree
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Thx for the replies yall. Do you think the job outlook for info security or IA is a good one?
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Thx for the replies yall. Do you think the job outlook for info security or IA is a good one?

the paradigm shift right now is going towards data security more than network security . I just wrote a white paper on it and there's a lot of fascinating ? going on in that area. I've posted some of the stuff my research here in another thread.
  • Aquafinafloe
    Aquafinafloe Banned Users Posts: 2,871
    edited August 2010
    Options
    it was all too stressful for me though i enjoy it but computers get on my nerves u fix one thing then another pops up and u gota do this and htat naw im good
    well you want Net + and Security +, A+ is more for hardware and software troubleshooting. all are entry level, but combined with experience will get your foot in the door, over somebody with just a degree
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    have you or anyone you know gotten hired for IT work with no degree (entry level). i read that IT managers dont need a degree. how true is this?? i havent seen any job openings that dont require experience, but i have seen a lot that dont require a degree. how can you get experience with no degree?? LOL
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm a System Monitor right now for Bally's Technologies! It's very similar to Computer Operator but we only monitor the Slot Machine Network, we don't go out and fix anything!

I'm on my 2nd year but I'm only there until I graduate next year for a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems, once I'm done I'm doing a national job search while going for my certifications!!
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    have you or anyone you know gotten hired for IT work with no degree (entry level). i read that IT managers dont need a degree. how true is this?? i havent seen any job openings that dont require experience, but i have seen a lot that dont require a degree. how can you get experience with no degree?? LOL

<<< Still don't have a degree. Mid level engineer, task/project lead status.

I came up from the helpdesk, but prior to that I ran my own business doing break/fix work around town. I didn't stay on the helpdesk too long 'cause I was more useful maintaining desktops and servers. From that point, you just keep moving up.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    <<< Still don't have a degree. Mid level engineer, task/project lead status.

I came up from the helpdesk, but prior to that I ran my own business doing break/fix work around town. I didn't stay on the helpdesk too long 'cause I was more useful maintaining desktops and servers. From that point, you just keep moving up.

word ... thats whss up

so hold up tho .. i know what help desk is, but as of right now ... give me an example of a normal day at work as a mid level engineer. i mean like ... somebody's ethernet cable comes loose do they call you?? what kind of stuff do you do all day. also, do you get paid well based on the cost of living where you reside??
  • Rell Mayne
    Rell Mayne Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    word ... thats whss up

so hold up tho .. i know what help desk is, but as of right now ... give me an example of a normal day at work as a mid level engineer. i mean like ... somebody's ethernet cable comes loose do they call you?? what kind of stuff do you do all day. also, do you get paid well based on the cost of living where you reside??

lol....

thats like help desk ? ...the eingineer is the type of ? who takes on network problem from a whole nother level...he maintains plenty of servers that dont necessarily need to be touched from day to day, but when it is down...hes critical to the entire buisness, he makes sure backups are correctly done. Policies are configured correctly, and usually houses the areas where other IT type of workers can do their business....web developers need him and database managers need him.

He usually runs exchange managers on a high scale and administrates the server heavy applications . For the most part as long as you have ? configured correctly...You will be alright. do it right the first time and your fine. there are different level admins....some work in network operations with cisco gear some work within server Os's other just handle citrix n ? .

once you get to the level of knowing everything and every term, and know how they all fit together you may as well just contract your whole life out and keep bounceing around
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    word ... thats whss up

basically... I'm no longer in IT, though depending on the project I could still do some IT type work.

A typical day for me would be looking over the budget for whatever I'm tasked with, submitting proposals for new hardware and software, proposing how many bodies I'm gonna need for a given task, getting requirements together for the task, finding an area to work in or repurpose for a given task... mid level management ? . Thankfully, I'm one of the cats that likes to keep his hands ? , so I do a lot of ? towards getting stuff up and running. I've just set up a new NAS device in a lab, I'm doing AD and LDAP administration in that lab, also just setup a new Sidewinder and ASA100 for said lab, plus I'm the subject matter expert for anything VMWare related.

Do I get paid well??? Yeah, I get paid pretty well... Not as well as some cats with grade levels a little higher than mine, but I get my money.
  • Rell Mayne
    edited August 2010
    Options
    basically... I'm no longer in IT, though depending on the project I could still do some IT type work.

A typical day for me would be looking over the budget for whatever I'm tasked with, submitting proposals for new hardware and software, proposing how many bodies I'm gonna need for a given task, getting requirements together for the task, finding an area to work in or repurpose for a given task... mid level management ? . Thankfully, I'm one of the cats that likes to keep his hands ? , so I do a lot of ? towards getting stuff up and running. I've just set up a new NAS device in a lab, I'm doing AD and LDAP administration in that lab, also just setup a new Sidewinder and ASA100 for said lab, plus I'm the subject matter expert for anything VMWare related.

Do I get paid well??? Yeah, I get paid pretty well... Not as well as some cats with grade levels a little higher than mine, but I get my money.

isnt that just a big ass harddrive at the end of the day like a san

how you feel about cloud computing since you ? wit vmware heavy?

Wouldnt it be easy to start your own business with that?
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Rell Mayne wrote: »
    isnt that just a big ass harddrive at the end of the day like a san

how you feel about cloud computing since you ? wit vmware heavy?

Wouldnt it be easy to start your own business with that?

No, its way too expensive at the moment. Effective virtualization is JUST starting to make it worth companies money and the cost is through the roof for most smaller companies starting off and all of the medium to larger companies will want to work with a vendor that has experience in the field.

NAS and SANs are much more than big hard drives as well and work much better with technology like VMWare.
  • Rell Mayne
    edited September 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    No, its way too expensive at the moment. Effective virtualization is JUST starting to make it worth companies money and the cost is through the roof for most smaller companies starting off and all of the medium to larger companies will want to work with a vendor that has experience in the field.

NAS and SANs are much more than big hard drives as well and work much better with technology like VMWare.

I understand that...they house their own server which seems better for performance ...

and i could see them wanting to work with bigger companies because of privacy issues with virtualization just for the SLA issues....the fees for licenses of doing it would probably be a ? alone, but if its the future its gotta be some type of way in.
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    im trying to transition into IT but it aint looking in my favor :(