Just saw Akira

Options
DaFifthElement
DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
And boy was that ? dope. Best damn anime movie ive ever seen. Crazy how it came out in 1988 and that ? looks like something from 2008. Movie was way before its time. ? had bluetooths in the move 20 years before they came out..? dope you peeps should check it if u already havent...heard the hughes brotheers where supposed to be directiong a live action version of it.

600full-akira-poster.jpg

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Its a classic, but theres alot better animes out there
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Its a classic, but theres alot better animes out there

Name names foo! im bored as ? and need good anime's to watch
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Man I didn't get the end of that movie for a while. I still need to watch the Ninja scroll joint too
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    saw this movie in my art class back in high school. that movie rite there, made me realize how INFERIOR american cartoons are, compared to japanese anime. 1st animated flick where i saw actual killing & gore. freaked me out lol.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Never liked Akira. To me it doesn't even make any sense. Speaking to people who have read the full on book they've said the exact same thing. The book is like some epic six volume thing and the film only focuses on some of the second half of it. I respect the fact it was clearly ahead of its time, it helped cross anime over to the West and it made me want to have one of those sick bikes but it still doesn't stop me thinking the thing makes ? all sense, overrated and if I have to go and read the book just to figure it out then I personally think the film failed. Before anyone starts to cry or accuses me of 'hating' that's just one's own opinion

I much prefer films like Ghost In The Shell, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Grave Of the Fireflies (absolutely depressing film) and Paprika. Not even a fan of Japanese anime but I like those films
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Never liked Akira. To me it doesn't even make any sense. Speaking to people who have read the full on book they've said the exact same thing. The book is like some epic six volume thing and the film only focuses on some of the second half of it. I respect the fact it was clearly ahead of its time, it helped cross anime over to the West and it made me want to have one of those sick bikes but it still doesn't stop me thinking the thing makes ? all sense, overrated and if I have to go and read the book just to figure it out then I personally think the film failed. Before anyone starts to cry or accuses me of 'hating' that's just one's own opinion

I much prefer films like Ghost In The Shell, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Grave Of the Fireflies (absolutely depressing film) and Paprika. Not even a fan of Japanese anime but I like those films

yeah i kinda got lost also. still classic tho. i prefer inuyasha & full metal alchemist. i remember i was heavy on that dragonball z tho.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    akira is a classic...? is over 20 years old and looks like could have been created this year
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    To me the three most classic anime movies are: Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D. I'm not saying they are the best, but those movies are what sparked interest in anime for a lot of people. I think they are still among the top anime movies though. Anime series have become the big fad, but I think a lot of people forget about the movies that used to come out back in the day. They definitely had the femme fatale game on lock back in the day: Iria, Armitage, Appleseed, and Ghost in the Shell just to name a few.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've only seen parts of this movie, but am seriously interested. Gonna download it now.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    And boy was that ? dope. Best damn anime movie ive ever seen. Crazy how it came out in 1988 and that ? looks like something from 2008. Movie was way before its time. ? had bluetooths in the move 20 years before they came out..? dope you peeps should check it if u already havent...heard the hughes brotheers where supposed to be directiong a live action version of it.

600full-akira-poster.jpg

You'd be surprised the technology that's available in Japan that we don't get over this side. Stuff we get that we think are new and ground-breaking are like five years old in Japan when it's finally released to the rest of the world. In my business, I'm constantly finding myself jealous of the new phones, MP3 players etc. that my suppliers have (personal items) that I just can't get my hands on.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    To me the three most classic anime movies are: Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D. I'm not saying they are the best, but those movies are what sparked interest in anime for a lot of people. I think they are still among the top anime movies though. Anime series have become the big fad, but I think a lot of people forget about the movies that used to come out back in the day. They definitely had the femme fatale game on lock back in the day: Iria, Armitage, Appleseed, and Ghost in the Shell just to name a few.

Cosign this I dont really check for series unless its short with a few episodes, but the movies that was dropping back then was dope as hell
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Man I watched Ghost in the Shell for sexy ass Motoko Kusanagi. That ? was bad, and she was cold with the weaponry.
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    You'd be surprised the technology that's available in Japan that we don't get over this side. Stuff we get that we think are new and ground-breaking are like five years old in Japan when it's finally released to the rest of the world. In my business, I'm constantly finding myself jealous of the new phones, MP3 players etc. that my suppliers have (personal items) that I just can't get my hands on.

I know man they already talkin bout yakuza 5 and 4 isnt even out here yet!...my buddy in the army was telling me about that ? though...? got clothes from over there that ive never seen and ? ...crazy..
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Name names foo! im bored as ? and need good anime's to watch

Bubblegum Crisis is good too.

First time I saw Akira I was tripping on 3 hits of acid. I am at a loss for words describing how mind blowing it was. Anytime I'm bored I toss that in.
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Anybody likes Metropolis?
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I heard about this movie, never saw it before
    somebody give me a plot synopsis
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I know man they already talkin bout yakuza 5 and 4 isnt even out here yet!...my buddy in the army was telling me about that ? though...? got clothes from over there that ive never seen and ? ...crazy..

They had touch screen phones and ? that we got like 3 years after. I remember back in 2002 they had a phone with a 'virtual girl' that I was thinking would make it over soon, but it never did. And the thing is, we can't even import because they don't have a language option and would not work on other networks. Japan stays winning.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Damn maybe I need to get up on my anime ? . So Ill have to find this and whatever else yall list...