If Satan is labled as a serpent and evil

ThaChozenWun
ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
edited August 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Why do so many ancient traditions and tribes worship serpents (ie snakes, dragons, etc..) as their creator?

From Asia to Africa, Africa to South America, South America to North America and beyond tribes have believed serpents were our creators, were ? , and in some instances their tribal names refer to serpents. Why is this so? If the devil is a serpent and not ? , why do so many ancients believe it is?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Check this out, I'm reading the book 'The Hierophant' G.C. Stewart and in chapter 2 he says this:

The ancients worshiped the genius of fruitfulness, and deprecated the wrath of the powers of sterility. They symbolized fertility by the egg, the bull, the serpent, and the organs of generation. The serpent was at one time in the harvest month, but by the precession of the equinoxes he fell from his first estate below the autumnal, and became the leader up of the powers of darkness(the 5 winter months).

It may say more throughout the book but I just started reading so I'm only at chpt2.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Check this out, I'm reading the book 'The Hierophant' G.C. Stewart and in chapter 2 he says this:

The ancients worshiped the genius of fruitfulness, and deprecated the wrath of the powers of sterility. They symbolized fertility by the egg, the bull, the serpent, and the organs of generation. The serpent was at one time in the harvest month, but by the precession of the equinoxes he fell from his first estate below the autumnal, and became the leader up of the powers of darkness(the 5 winter months).

It may say more throughout the book but I just started reading so I'm only at chpt2.

Lol that book is where this question partly came from. Great book btw. The copy I have is "Gleanings from the past" but it's the exact same book.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Lol that book is where this question partly came from. Great book btw. The copy I have is "Gleanings from the past" but it's the exact same book.

Old news for you then lol
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Good question......I'm not sure. I believe that the mushroom eating people who created the Bible (along with the slave trader Popes, kings, and emperors who edited it) were afraid of the superstitions of the masses and sought a way to get rid of them.

What better way to make people change the superstitions of their time than to make the ultimate ancient ? , the snake, into the epitome of evil?

It's worked very well.......my mother and grandmother are scared of snakes to this very day. My mom can see a snake on a TV set, and she'll turn away from the TV as if her eyes are burning. My grandmother is not much better.

Sad huh? I think it is.....my mother is college educated too.......smh.......
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited August 2010
    Why do so many ancient traditions and tribes worship serpents (ie snakes, dragons, etc..) as their creator?

From Asia to Africa, Africa to South America, South America to North America and beyond tribes have believed serpents were our creators, were ? , and in some instances their tribal names refer to serpents. Why is this so? If the devil is a serpent and not ? , why do so many ancients believe it is?

There is no inkling in the ‘Old Testament’ that the serpent of the Genesis’ record was ‘satan’ or was thought to be inspired by ‘satan’. The idea that the serpent was satan arose only within later traditional rabbinic literature.