THE OFFICIAL NBA 2K11 Thread

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Last nite as i was playing the demo i came through the lane and did a reverse layup with Kobe and i got fouled by Ray Allen.. ... They zoom up on Ray ray.. and he had the only face.. looked like he sucked a lemon.. showing his displeasure with the call ? was hilarous
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ASSOCIATION INSIGHT
    Hi everyone!
    Erick Boenisch, Producer for NBA 2K11, back once again. If you missed my Insights on MJ: Creating A Legend and My Player, make sure and give those a read. Today I am here to talk about the improvements we have made to The Association. I know you guys and girls have been waiting patiently for this one. We have a LOT of ground to cover here as The Association has seen a lot of improvements, so buckle up!

Under-The-Hood Brains
    Over the past few years, we have implemented some very successful features in NBA.com, Player Roles, Player Ambitions, Player Morale, Player Personalities, and so on. I feel like these additions have defined the 2K Association experience. Moving forward, I would like The Association to be defined by something completely different, and that’s the smartest AI of any franchise mode across all sports titles.

To achieve this goal, the main focus for us this year has been to completely re-write the underlying logic that drives the mode, along with adding new systems that will help the AI to make the smartest decisions possible at all times. Every time the CPU makes a move, they are making it for a very precise reason. It may not be completely evident to you at first as they often think two, three, even four steps ahead, but they are always thinking, always assessing. They have brains this year folks; here is how we did it…

Team Building & States
    The core system that has been added to the AI this year is one called Team Building. This system actually oversees the other systems (which I’ll detail below). As the name implies, this system is responsible for building the strongest team possible with respect to the style employed by the coaching staff. The first step in building a successful team is identifying what the team’s current goals are. This year, our AI classifies a team into one of the following four Team States:

- Contending: This is a team that has the pieces to win the title. They won’t be overly active on the market as they don’t want to disrupt their chemistry, but they certainly won’t let an advantageous trade slip by should one present itself. When you think Contending team, think the Lakers.

- Buying: This is a team that is a step below the contending teams, but is only a solid acquisition or two away from being able to take that next step. The AI will actively pursue an upgrade to any deficiencies in its starting lineup and/or the first few players off the bench. If the piece is a perfect fit, the team will often mortgage the future to get that player. When you think Buying team, think the Blazers.

- Selling: This is a team whose window has closed and they are clearly trying to move their aging/bad contracts for youth/picks. It’s not common for a team to be in this state long in our game, or in the real NBA. When it happens though, it’s best to strike while the iron is hot. When you think Selling team, think what the Wizards did last season or what the Celtics and Spurs will be doing in approximately 12-24 months from now. Sorry Celtics and Spurs fans. Reality is coming soon…

- Rebuilding: A large portion of the NBA teams tend to live in this state for long periods of time. This is seen in our game as well. Rebuilding teams are, simply put, looking to upgrade their rosters. They are looking to build through the draft, through free agency, and through trades. Rebuilding teams aren’t interested in your aging, overpriced 35-year old guard. If you are going to offer one up to a rebuilding team, they are going to value him quite low (unless you pair a nice draft pick alongside him), meaning you’ll be getting pennies on the dollar for him. When you think Rebuilding teams, think the Timberwolves, Wizards, Kings, etc.

Teams are very cognizant of what state they are currently in, and they will update their state as their rosters change. The entire logic for the mode this year is designed around this logic model, and its implementation has paid off in spades. You’ll see that as we move through the rest of the logic systems.

Roster Building
    Beyond the Team States, our new Roster Building system is very much aware of the current roster. In previous versions of NBA 2K, it wasn’t uncommon for a team like the Hornets to go out and sign a top-flight point guard in free agency. With Chris Paul and Darren Collison on-board, that makes no sense…whatsoever. In NBA 2K11, the CPU is smart enough to know that the Hornets should be upgrading the wing positions ideally, or at the very least, their bench.

Teams are visibly different in their approach to Roster Building, and this all ties back to the head coach and the types of offense and defense he runs. Simply put, teams tend towards players that fit their play style. These play styles are spread out across Tempo (half court vs. transition), Team Focus (offense vs. defense), Focal Points (forwards vs. guards), Player Style (skill players vs. athletic players), and Shot Preference (inside vs. outside). The exciting thing about this new system is that you will see teams with unique styles emerge as The Association plays out; it will no longer just be a hodge-podge of players thrown together onto a team. Heck, you can see this yourself early on this year by simply running a fantasy draft and noting the styles of players drafted to each team.

Player Valuation
    With Team States and Roster Building out of the way, our next step was to replace the Player Valuation system. After all, players are going to have different values to different teams now with the Roster Building system. The Player Valuation system is responsible for, as the name implies, valuing the players. This includes the AI that is used to determine how teams value their own players based on the team’s play style, how much players ask for in free agency, and how much they are willing to accept.

In previous versions of the game, it wasn’t uncommon to see middle-tier players asking for max contracts, or at the very least, contracts much higher than their actual worth would indicate. With this new system, player salaries should be a lot more in-line with their actual worth.

One thing to always consider though is that some players perceive their skills to be much greater than their worth (this is something NBA 2K11 models). We see this every year in the real NBA where teams feel pressured to make a signing to keep their fans and ownership happy. Does anyone remember the Mavericks splashing $30+M for Desagana Diop a few years back? Point being, sometimes teams overpay to get their guy. It’s a part of the business, which we feel makes it important to make it a part of this game.

Trading Logic
    With Player Valuation complete, replacing the Trading Logic system was the obvious next step in our revamp of the under-the-hood AI systems. The first thing we did to help teams was to help them identify who they should and shouldn’t keep on their teams. Much of this is handled by the Roster Building system described above, but another safeguard that was used in the game is the addition of a new ‘Player Role’, called the ‘Core’ role.

Core players are guys like Kobe, Wade, LeBron, D. Howard, etc. These are guys that are so valuable to their team, that a trade involving one of these players is incredibly unlikely. I’m not here to tell you that you can no longer trade for these players, but I can tell you the CPU will be much, much stingier in parting with a Core player. In fact, they’ll demand one in return. Don’t expect to package two 82-rated players and grab a Core player in return. Not happening this year.

http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/index.cfm?aid=2965928&l=11

For more information was too much to copy
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    62222_10150285224300305_221292025304_14667149_7713058_n.jpg

Damn, 2K ain't bullshittin LOL
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Damn, 2K ain't bullshittin LOL

Obama must've signed a video-game clause because this ? is every where..when I seen him in Madden I was like WTF..I haven't been invested in Madden enough to play through multiple seasons, but what happens after 4 or 5 years, is Obama the president for the entire dynasty? lol
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ok, so I just read the full article...now I know every year developers talk big ? about their improvements, and then..it's like "man that ? didn't come out the way dude described it"..but seriously, if this game is HALF as good as these guys are making it sound...? ...WOW
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • BasedGodSteez
    BasedGodSteez Members Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Lmfaoo i wish they could of used a more believable team...The Clippers? WTF!
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There is tons of video thats been released the last couple of days.... But this is a hype video

"Be" .......Jordan
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol@any1 buyin elite
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • -JB-
    -JB- Banned Users Posts: 2,719
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah I like that 2k11demo but it's only a quarter the computer can make subs but you can't... The fifth can't get here soon enough.
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited September 2010
    Options
    imagine what nfl 2k11 wouldve been like.....im glad to see live fall to the ground....the ship been sinking for awhile but now that ? is buried on the ocean floor.....? ea
  • headrek1
    headrek1 Members Posts: 121
    edited September 2010
    Options
    imagine what nfl 2k11 wouldve been like.....im glad to see live fall to the ground....the ship been sinking for awhile but now that ? is buried on the ocean floor.....? ea

You know???? I wish EA would come up off that exclusive NFL deal. Football is my sport and I haven't played Madden since 2005. But its a Cash Grab, the NFL must be getting something big in return (that 2k can't give) for letting EA hold on to their rights for so long. But that seems to be just bad business sense doesn't it? Don't sell yourself to another company for so long.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Word, I'm happy to see EA Sports get murked like that with this NBA 2K11. EA Sports killed 2K for a minute when they bought NFL and college sports licenses.....that NFL 2K11, College Hoops 2K11 and College Football 2K11 could have been years ahead of what EA has been putting out the last few years....hell, I still play that College Hoops 2K8 on PS3 from time to time and it goes harder than any basketball game EA Sports has put out in the past couple of years. EA Sports been knew for the longest that 2K Sports was a problem......
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The way they cut this ? was Bananas

? this video!
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yo! cant wait for next tues...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    3 more hours if u live in central time!!!!!!
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    3 more hours if u live in central time!!!!!!

there's a midnight release for it ??
  • StoneColdMikey
    edited October 2010
    Options
    2k11 is da only chance u will see mike in a portland uniform... i bet ? from dere going to have hella what ifs moments
  • StoneColdMikey
    edited October 2010
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    there's a midnight release for it ??

da gamestop in chicago has midnight releases
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol damn totally forgot its dropping tomorrow is amazon having a deal on it? if not I think Imma wait till the price drop, 2k ALWAYS drop the price to 30 after like 2 months
  • playmaker88
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol damn totally forgot its dropping tomorrow is amazon having a deal on it? if not I think Imma wait till the price drop, 2k ALWAYS drop the price to 30 after like 2 months

Yea 10 dollars off next purchase..

*goes to sleep til 2:30 pm tommorow*
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ok I just pick the game up, I ran with my Hawks vs the Heat, the kicked my ass lol. Gotta get used to the shooting, you have to release a little bit later than you had to in 2K10.
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2010
    Options
    this is a top 3 game ever PERIOD.
    GAME NOT SPORTS GAME

ITS PERFECT. <<3-0

MIDNIGHT RELEASE CHICAGO HA HAAA