Just upgraded my ps3 to 250 gigs

DaFifthElement
DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in IllGaming
No longer am i plagued with that inferior 40 gb hard drive even though it got me through.

Comments

• Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    where u get ur hd from?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    lol I started with a 40 gig too, I got a 250 gig now ? is all gravy

Im down to like 60 gigs free already though
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    where u get ur hd from?

Best buy. Seagate momentus 2.5 sata. Sony recommends seagate and I do as well...had 1 western digital...it worked fine but it wouldnt work in my ps3.
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    what games you playin currently?
  • Bcotton5
    edited August 2010
    Yea I got Seagate 2.5'' SATA too, 250 gb came out to around 190 something gb after formatting
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    Dakari wrote: »
    what games you playin currently?

Just got Kane & Lynch 2 today. Real ass game,,,one part is soo funny when them ? get cut up but I aint gonna spoil it...uncharted 2 lately...preordered dead rising 2 gonna cop that..gonna go back to Battlefield once vietnam comes out..
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    upgraded to a 500 gig not too long ago. Best decision i made
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    ^^How did you back up your data from the old hard drive; Did you have to worry about any copy-write/licensing issues with the content? Which hard drives are best for swapping with the old HD, because I heard that sometimes the new HD can either run louder than before or heat up faster?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    ^^How did you back up your data from the old hard drive; Did you have to worry about any copy-write/licensing issues with the content? Which hard drives are best for swapping with the old HD, because I heard that sometimes the new HD can either run louder than before or heat up faster?

You need a big enough external hard drive - must be formated Fat32 and not NTSC. Plug it into the USB port and use the back up feature. After you put in the new hd, plug the ext. back in and use the restore feature. Everything will be transferred. Any 2.5 SATA hd will work but Seagate is recommended - the one in the PS3 is Seagate. The standard hd runs at 5400rpm, but you can get ones that run at 7600rpm, which load a little faster but they do cause the system to heat up quicker. When I did the swap in my old system I used back a 5400rpm one.
  • Bcotton5
    edited August 2010
    Vagrant what did your 500 gb come out too after formatting? I heard its only like 320 really

My 250 went down to like 190
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Vagrant what did your 500 gb come out too after formatting? I heard its only like 320 really

My 250 went down to like 190

465 gigs got 350 gigs of free space left
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    My ? went from 250 to 201...wasnt really surprised though...
  • Fluck
    Fluck Members Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    is it just as simple as plugging it in the usb and going from there or do you have to do any work on the system like you would installing something into a cpu (like a wireless card)
  • Bcotton5
    edited August 2010
    Fluck wrote: »
    is it just as simple as plugging it in the usb and going from there or do you have to do any work on the system like you would installing something into a cpu (like a wireless card)

Search it on youtube, Sony encourages it, it wont void your warranty or nothing, its simple all you gotta do is unscrew like 6 screws and swap the harddrives
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    465 gigs got 350 gigs of free space left

Same here, got 500 GB and came to 465 GB, I got 257 GBs left

In terms of backup, the only real thing I would have to backup is the save files!

Movies, Photos, and Music I can reup them separately

And as long as you have your profile, you can catch them game/demo downloads with you, so no need to backup those
    but save files you can't!
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Best buy. Seagate momentus 2.5 sata. Sony recommends seagate and I do as well...had 1 western digital...it worked fine but it wouldnt work in my ps3.

i got a ex. western digital 500gb,, i changed it to a FAT32,,it works fine. i need my ps3,, this 360 aint cutting it,, i wish halo reach was out,, i'd be kool then.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DaFifthElement
    edited August 2010
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Yup in about 2 pay periods I'm gonna get a terabyte HDD and another PS3 and start that Mod ? ...

Jamel u scumbag.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    320GB HD in my 80GB launch PS3 >>>
  • drb3n
    drb3n Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Just got a 1TB Western Digital Element from Dell for $60 and reformatted the drive to FAT32. Works like a charm. . .
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    yep bought the backwards compatible ps3 for 200 threw in a 250 gb