Xbox Live Gets a Price Hike

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in IllGaming
Your online gaming on Xbox is about to get more expensive.

Microsoft has announced that as of November 1, 2010, the price for Xbox Live Gold will go up in Canada, the US, United Kingdom and Mexico. The annual fee will go up by $10 in the United States, with one and three month subscriptions also going up in price.

Starting November 1, a one month subscription in the US will cost $9.99 and a three month subscription will carry a price tag of $24.99. These are increases of $2 and $5 respectively. In the UK, a one month subscription will go up by 1 GBP to 5.99. Canadian and Mexican one month subscriptions will go up by $1 CAD and 100 Pesos each to $9.99 and 599 Pesos. All other subscription packages will have the same prices.

In a posting, Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb explained the hike:

"Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We're confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.

However, we do want to thank our loyal members and give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount, so now would be a good time to renew your subscription."

Analyst Jesse Divinich of EEDAR believes this price increase will not have a major effect of Microsoft's momentum or subscription base, saying that, "EEDAR believes the fee increase will do little to impact the positive momentum of the Xbox 360," and that given the service improvements through the year, "it comes as no surprise that Microsoft would eventually increase the price of a Gold subscription by a moderate amount."

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1116845p1.html

Comments

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    was just about to post this, look like pachter prediction about xbox live going up was true
  • The Douce
    The Douce Members Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Looks like having an 'exclusive beta' cost them so much they had to jack their prices up.

LOL@paying for online. Maybe I'd pay if a full CoD game were exclusive, not just a DLC pack one month early. ? off.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    killacham is down for 'hikes' if they come wit some baccshots beforehand.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    C'mon, you guys know "its worth it" :D
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Homosexual 360 fanboy response: but it only averages out to 49 cents per day, that's like 2 cents an hour.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Sony ponders charging for 'online pass' game functionality

By Joseph L. Flatley posted Aug 25th 2010 1:33AM

We specifically told you guys not to tell your friends at Sony about a certain "feature" of EA Sports whereby the player is charged $10 to unlock online content and multiplayer functionality. And what do we have here? It looks like someone spilled the beans, because GamesIndustry.biz is reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment head Andrew House has been giving the matter some serious thought. "On the principle of making online portions of the game available or unlocked from the disc-based release for a fee," he said, "we're broadly supportive... and we're exploring actively the same option for our own content." Of course, this runs counter the free and democratic nature of PlayStation Network, but you know how strategies can change once someone gets dollar signs in their eyes.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/25/sony-ponders-charging-for-online-pass-game-functionality/

An extra $10 a year >>>>>> $10 per game plus PSN Premium fee just to equal what you get with XBOX Live Gold.
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    An extra $10 a year >>>>>> $10 per game plus PSN Premium fee just to equal what you get with XBOX Live Gold.

explain. how is PSN plus equal to XBL Gold? You need Gold to play online and access netflix, which you DON'T need PSN plus for. You get free games with PSN+, which you DON'T get from XBL.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    2me9sug.jpg

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

This only applies when you buy the game used
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited August 2010
    Options

lmfao @ this pathetic weak ass attempt.

XBL doesnt give you FREE GAMES every month. You are a ? IDIOT who deserves to choke on ? and die.

edit: i would also like to add that you are an ignorant fool
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i lauce for ownin a 360 :(
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I pay yearly anyway so it doesnt affect me.

I prefer XBL so I'm willing to pay buttons to play on it.

Yes, it does. They just gave the monthly breakdowns for the other regions. Yearly subscriptions are increased too
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I dont even notice the with drawls now *kanye shrug*
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2010
    Options
    surprisingly civil thus far...

because i dont think anyone cares anymore at this point. MS takes, PSN gives. its already pretty out there.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    just admit that ps3 is better and anyone who owns an xbox just got it because it was cheaper
  • John_Blazini
    edited August 2010
    Options
    sociopath wrote: »
    I get any 360 game for Free, before release date too
    co sizzle just got that new spider man
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    blazini wrote: »
    co sizzle just got that new spider man

I hate you guys......:(

(anyone know if the new 360 can be modded same way?)
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't be too smug there guy...XBox 360 folks are gonna ? and moan about this and then eventually take it. but don't think that after that happens, PSN+ won't get a price raise too...either that or the basic PSN won't be free anymore...

my guess is it'll happen before Christmas '011.

and before any nonfanboys (lol) come in here tryna go for my throat, Sony's known for borrowin off the competition...so if Microsoft gets away with this AND profits (and they will), please believe that the folks at Sony are already makin plans...

You dont need PSN plus, its an option

And from the looks of every store update its worth it, its shitload of free stuff for PSN+
  • Bcotton5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    just admit that ps3 is better and anyone who owns an xbox just got it because it was cheaper

LOL pretty much though
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You dont need PSN plus, its an option

And from the looks of every store update its worth it, its shitload of free stuff for PSN+

No lying, I've already gotten around $ 70 worth of stuff for free - and its only been a couple months.

Seems like a lot of people think PSN+ is the same as XBL. No, it isn't. PSN+ is optional whereas XBL Gold is mandatory if you want to play online. You don't need PSN+ to play online, access the store, make purchases etc. It's like having a discount card for shopping.
  • Bcotton5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    either PSN+ is gonna raise the price, or PSN itself will no longer be free. before Christmas '011. u read it here first.

What? you just throwing that out there huh?
  • John_Blazini
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL pretty much though
    No we just like being able to get get free games and play them ? on XBL.

I own a PS3 also :
    (
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    i lauce for ownin a 360 :(

Das right. Take it like a man. N/H
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010