How does a credit check determine if the person is qualified for the job?

death187sin
death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Strictly Business
I'm just be told today that before I make the determination to hire someone I must run a credit report on the person applying. Even with my managerial skills I still can't seem to figure out why this is necessary. I could understand if the person way applying for a job in finance or payroll but someone applying to be a receptionist is a bit absurd.

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    It helps to show if people are responsible or not. Its particularly important for jobs dealing with money like you pointed out though.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    long and short: It doesn't.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    long and short: It doesn't.

Bingo. It's just a tool some employers use to unfairly exclude people from jobs. How do I know this? A couple of years ago, I applied for a job that I was completely qualified for and part of the process included them obtaining a credit report. At that time, my credit was horrible. I got the job, anyway. So these people do what they want to do with the information.

In fact, in a couple of states, employers aren't allowed to use credit histories as a criteria, so it's fairly common knowledge that the practice is generally BS, unless you're working in a position dealing with money.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I like it gives me an advantage but I could see how its unfair
  • presto
    presto Members Posts: 77
    edited October 2010
    Its only done to see if you have warrants and to check to see if your previous jobs are listed that you listed on your application ... Cause the app is legal document not your resume ... It doesnt check your actual credit like credit cards and ? like that ...

Like it links with edd and pigs to see if ur a wanted felon or ? like that ...
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    presto wrote: »
    Its only done to see if you have warrants and to check to see if your previous jobs are listed that you listed on your application ... Cause the app is legal document not your resume ... It doesnt check your actual credit like credit cards and ? like that ...

Like it links with edd and pigs to see if ur a wanted felon or ? like that ...
    Incorrect.

A credit check, checks your credit...If you are living beond your means then a financial firm will think twice before hiring you, you might be too much of a liability
  • Itz Luigi Bitch!
    Itz Luigi Bitch! Members Posts: 240
    edited October 2010
    damn thatz fucCed up...? need to work to get his credit bac in order, but a ? can't get the job because his credit is not in order...damn
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    damn thatz fucCed up...? need to work to get his credit bac in order, but a ? can't get the job because his credit is not in order...damn

thats how the system ? people. understandble if you are working directly with money so they look at it as a potential to steal...but other than that its dumb
  • naomi shambles
    naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    They believe it shows responsibility...that's what a hiring rep told me anyway.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    They believe it shows responsibility...that's what a hiring rep told me anyway.

It does! When I was irresponsible I had bad credit. Now that I am taking responsibility for my actions. My credit is better.
    Pay your bills. You made them!
  • Zeeofafb
    Zeeofafb Members Posts: 12
    edited January 2011

Just read a really great book concerning bad credit that put me on game. The advice it recommended was to contact your creditors and ask to negotiate your debt/interest rate. Never had thought do that before. If you're in debt the company obviously wants whatever they can get. See if you can negotiate something. I actually called one of my credit cards companies after reading the book and asked for a reduced interest rate and they dropped me from like 20% to like 15% may not seem like a lot but over time it adds up. Give it a try.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Bingo. It's just a tool some employers use to unfairly exclude people from jobs. How do I know this? A couple of years ago, I applied for a job that I was completely qualified for and part of the process included them obtaining a credit report. At that time, my credit was horrible. I got the job, anyway. So these people do what they want to do with the information.

In fact, in a couple of states, employers aren't allowed to use credit histories as a criteria, so it's fairly common knowledge that the practice is generally BS, unless you're working in a position dealing with money.

Exactly I like this
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    It's not a good way to measure at all in my opinion. What if a person loses their job, which in turn renders them ineffective in being able to pay their bills. That messes up their credit, which is through no fault of their own. Now they cannot get a job because their credit is messed up but they are actually responsible.

Also, no one really teaches people about credit when they're young. This type of stuff should be taught in every junior high and high school. I see the most credit mistakes can be made at a very young age. Some people get in over their head. It doesn't mean they are morally incapable of finance job, or any job for that matter.