Are calves genetic gifts from the body gods?

Options
shadb33
shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Weight Room
I think they are.

Comments

• kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    yes.....calves are the hardest muscles to develop......

i've seen a lot of fit/brolic dudes with average sized calves...........
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    *? -like calves post*
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kAjUn wrote: »
    yes.....calves are the hardest muscles to develop......

i've seen a lot of fit/brolic dudes with average sized calves...........

nah, they're not that hard to develop, most people just don't do it. I do raises after each set of squats and will even do 'em on a machine when I'm done. Most people just ignore 'em, so they end up with tiny calves.

Running also helps with their development.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    *? -like calves post*

*Blessed with great calves post*
  • kAjUn
    edited September 2010
    Options
    nah, they're not that hard to develop, most people just don't do it. I do raises after each set of squats and will even do 'em on a machine when I'm done. Most people just ignore 'em, so they end up with tiny calves.

Running also helps with their development.

i agree with that too........but your calves are the hardest muscles to develop because their the smallest muscle group.............

i'm not saying it's impossible lol...........

but i agree with the rest of your post...........alot of people don't do it and i understand why.............

cause i hate leg day.......i feel so exhausted afterwards.............
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I love having muscular calves!
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah, i think so. I have really muscular calves but i never worked them out, or anything like that, meanwhile people i know who work out everyday and can't develop them. Some people are just different genetically, i have a friend who never works his abs and he just naturally cut up.
  • kAjUn
    edited September 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Yeah, i think so. I have really muscular calves but i never worked them out, or anything like that, meanwhile people i know who work out everyday and can't develop them. Some people are just different genetically, i have a friend who never works his abs and he just naturally cut up.

i know guys like that too............be on some jersey shore type ? .............

? be eating corn dogs and drinking beer 24/7...............but still chizzled...........
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kAjUn wrote: »
    i know guys like that too............be on some jersey shore type ? .............

? be eating corn dogs and drinking beer 24/7...............but still chizzled...........

Alot of it is genetics but also it depends on how many years, you've been working out. If you've put in 10+ years and now you're eating junk food and still working out, it doesn't make a tremendous change on your body.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I got em, Chea!
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    hate my tiny calves...
  • kAjUn
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Alot of it is genetics but also it depends on how many years, you've been working out. If you've put in 10+ years and now you're eating junk food and still working out, it doesn't make a tremendous change on your body.

oh mos def.........hell i have a 6-pack and don't have a very clean diet.........

hell i don't even train my abs that much anymore..........

? hurts my back for some reason.........('_')
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Lately I have been reading alot about Vince Gironda.

If you don't know who he is then google him, because this man was beyond his time when it came to bodybuilding knowledge.

After reading a previous thread someone made about calves, I liked to share a 3 part series to all my homies on the IC who have trouble building there calves. Heres the first article I would like to share......

Calves must be worked in a different way, as Vince quickly found this out since the calves are the only muscle that is directly worked every time you take a step and walk.

Initially, his 3 sets of six, 6 sets of six, 8 sets of eight wasn’t quite working and he didn’t know why and after awhile he realized that the calves should be really overworked or worked more than the biceps, triceps, delts, chest or back and low and behold, it worked.

So Vince always called calves a high rep muscle and you use as much weight as you possibly can to stimulate growth. Vince found out that anything less than 15 - 20 reps per set are not going to stimulate the calves. And Vince also found out in order to stimulate the calves even further, to induce growth, what you would have to do on your off-days is to perform 100 to 150 reps with no weight just to induce circulation. He then discovered that the calves would respond and this of course was through trial and error.

Vince was big on trial and error. He used to spend a tremendous amount of time testing his theories, whether they were right or wrong, and after awhile he found his theory about calves was true.

Now some people, like me, never had to work the calves in this method. And Vince would always tell you, do what works for you. Know the "Golden Rule"; know your body.

My calves would become stimulated with 8 sets of eight reps or 4 sets of twelve reps and sometimes a little extra work. But for a lot of people, this doesn’t seem to work. You have to know your body.

My calves are easy but I wish other parts of my body would grow just as fast as my calves and I had decent calves to begin with so that helped me.

But with calves, do what Vince tells you to do; high rep, as much weight as you can handle, and on your off days, do 100-150 reps with no weight just to induce circulation and you will find out this will really help your calves.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Fortunately, my calves are muscular, but this is good advice for people who have a tough time with making their calves bigger and stronger.
  • SunZoo_aka_LC
    SunZoo_aka_LC Members Posts: 267
    edited September 2010
    Options
    t/s must be white... lol... support from heavy squatting alone should get ur calves right... do some sleds...
  • shadb33
    edited September 2010
    Options
    t/s must be white... lol... support from heavy squatting alone should get ur calves right... do some sleds...

I'm blacker then the ace of spades homie. Some people are genetically born with great calves while others struggle with them.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Im born with small legs period but I've been working overtime on the legs (calves especially) and starting to watch them grow slowly, I do about 50 reps of 3 sets of calve excersices on leg day.....but on the flip side my abs are natural
  • D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Nah... cuz everyone I know who played ball in highschool got big calves. Most people just neglect them.

Get on a step and do calf raises for a couple weeks and tell me u dont feel the difference
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    D-Marco wrote: »
    Nah... cuz everyone I know who played ball in highschool got big calves. Most people just neglect them.

Get on a step and do calf raises for a couple weeks and tell me u dont feel the difference

hell, you ain't even gotta get on a step just to start. When I was in high school, I would do squats, then before I put the bar back on the rack I would just stand there and do a set of calf raises.
  • D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    hell, you ain't even gotta get on a step just to start. When I was in high school, I would do squats, then before I put the bar back on the rack I would just stand there and do a set of calf raises.

Yeah that'll work too. I need to up my calf routine. Cuz I play ball and that ? will up your hops or at least ur hangtime. I felt like i was floating
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Meh, my calves lost.

But in return ? gave me long arms and made me heavy handed.

So ? y'all ol rabbid ass jumping around ? .
  • shadb33
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Big calves aren't the same as muscular calves. Fat dudes got big calves. All saying that all u do is squats and your calves grow, good for u. U are blessed with great calves so it seems easy for u. But some of us have to put in twice the work and then some to get our calves to grow just a lil. We all have genetic gifts regarding a bodypart. Like me I've always had a nice chest and shoulders. I don't have to do anything for them really.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I know dudes with lil calves that can jump out the gym
  • headrek1
    headrek1 Members Posts: 121
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah Calves are harder to train for some reason. And how high you jump has less to do with your calvess. I mistakenly thought that a few years ago, but most of the power in a jump comes from your quads and hams, calves help wehn you are jumping from standing position, but you look at most bball players in the league, their calves aren't ? . Calves come into play for Runnig backs and linemen, because they help you drive your legs foward harder, but not in bball.