Take it from me kids..after 2 years in college

Options
shadb33
shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Growing Pains
I've realized this ? is a waste of time...I'm pretty much paying thousands of dollars to learn ? I will never use again in my life...if u have any idea of what u want to do save yourself the time and money, go to a trade school or some college where u can specialize it it from the get go..there's no need for these elective classes we are forced to take..

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Average salaries of people with degrees vs. Average salaries of people without degrees will say different. Go figure.
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ...then go to a community college. Higher education isn't just about the material you learn, it's about the training of the critical thought process (and yes, the credentials). Keep in mind, even cops need at least 2 years of college nowadays to better ensure that they are more well-rounded individuals. You get out what you put in. There will be things you reference from a lit class, for example, when interviewing for a job, or networking, that make you appear more savvy or worldly rather than just being able to do "that one thing." You can't prove your skills before you get the job so a lot of employers, especially (but certainly not exclusively) 'white collar'/corporate, as well as the not for profit sector, are looking for signs of the capacity to be multi-faceted and flexible. THAT is the point of a liberal arts education. If it ain't for you, then so be it....
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    ...then go to a community college. Higher education isn't just about the material you learn, it's about the training of the critical thought process (and yes, the credentials). Keep in mind, even cops need at least 2 years of college nowadays to better ensure that they are more well-rounded individuals. You get out what you put in. There will be things you reference from a lit class, for example, when interviewing for a job, or networking, that make you appear more savvy or worldly rather than just being able to do "that one thing." You can't prove your skills before you get the job so a lot of employers, especially (but certainly not exclusively) 'white collar'/corporate, as well as the not for profit sector, are looking for signs of the capacity to be multi-faceted and flexible. THAT is the point of a liberal arts education. If it ain't for you, then so be it....

^^THIS IS PERFECT^^^

if you truly know in your heart your spinning your wheels my ? ... then transfer & follow a different path.. but the experience is worth it (imo) Don't go broke & then drop out... unless your Kanye West & about to come up on some $... Otherwise you will live to regret it.
  • JkHuslte
    JkHuslte Confirm Email Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I here on your frustration Shadb33. But I can't support telling kids to not go to college if they have the opportunity. College isn't for everyone, which is fine - but for anyone who has the ability to endure through it, the set themselves up in a much better situation than the contrary. Elective classes seem like a waste...but anything does if your attitude isn't in the right place. I'm not saying that your attitude isn't right - but I am saying that if your attitude were different, you may see college in general for what it is: an investment on your own financial life. I guess being a hustler I see everything as an opportunity and immediate time wasting activities as investments for the long run...I can't expect everyone to have that same mentality.

I'm a hustler - so without college I'd likely be in the same place or close. But I'll tell you, having a degree automatically advances me past once who doesn't - in terms of getting a job.

So - kids, I advise that if you have the opportunity, don't listen to anyone who couldn't/didn't endure college - listen to the ones who did. It's not all about money - but if it is to you, you might as well invest a few years to set yourself up int he best situation possible. It's not even all about learning - it's about furthering your experience.

It's tough out there...put yourself in the best positions possible.

Peace.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I was 2 years in and wanted to drop out too for similar reasons but people talked sense into me. Sure I took a bunch of useless ass classes but in the last 2 years I made sure to only take electives that could benefit me in some way.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    College is what you make it...I can either be a waste of time...or the greatest yrs of your life...its up to you
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It is still alarming at how much it costs to get a post-secondary education. I know a lot of graduates who can’t remember anything from what they took the first two to three years of college. It sucks, but a college degree is still worth a lot more than a high school diploma.