South Carolina Republican leader poses as a Confederate soldier with happy slaves

Options
busayo
busayo Members Posts: 857
edited September 2010 in The Social Lounge
South Carolina lawmaker defends 'Slave Garb' picture and says it was only a 'friendly photo' among friends.

South Carolina lawmaker defends 'slave garb' picture and said it was nothing more than a 'friendly photograph' taken with friends.

South Carolina Senate President Glenn McConnell is dressed in a Civil War-era uniform with two African-Americans in this photo. It was taken in Charleston last week during the Republican women's conference.

The picture found its way on the Internet dubbed "Slave Garb" and McConnell said everyone was wearing Civil War costumes, and it was an innocent moment among friends.

The media circulated the photo because McConnell is a Charleston Republican and perhaps the most powerful lawmaker in the state of South Carolina. He is also head of the pivotal Senate Judiciary Committee.

"It was a friendly photograph," McConnell said in a statement. "It's a great statement as to how far this state has come."

However, others didn't see it that way. "That's the senator's unfortunate world view," said Rev. Joe Darby, first vice president of the state NAACP, pointing out the subservient role with the African-Americans in the photograph. "The troubling question is how much does his world view affect his approach to public policy?"

South Carolina once had the nation's second-largest slave port in Charleston, where the photo was taken.

Glenn-McConnell-and-slaves.jpg

http://www.newsoxy.com/politics/south-carolina-slave-garb-picture-14826.html

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And RepubliKKKans strike again. Just one reason out of 879879797978.66 reasons why Blacks rarely, if ever, support Republicans.

Keep it up guys......keep it up.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My problem isn't with the Senator, but with them ? who chose to participate. Especially, that grinning rag head ? . And you know he handpicked the ? with the missing tooth.

I think I am going to cue Nas.

Nas- "What the ? was you ? thinking?"
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    My problem isn't with the Senator, but with them ? who chose to participate. Especially, that grinning rag head ? . And you know he handpicked the ? with the missing tooth.

LOL.....true story.

In this ? up economy, some ? will do ANYTHING for money.

ANYTHING. I see it all the time.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    black folk, when will we learn? smh.
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    "It was a friendly photograph," McConnell said in a statement. "It's a great statement as to how far this state has come."

this statement still cracks me up

translation - you up north trouble makers need to leave us alone
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    What the ladies had put together was a smorgasbord of Southern culture," McConnell said. "It was reflected in the dress, the historical accuracy of the performances and even down to the food. It was a wonderful, entertaining and educational night for those visitors. It showed the approach we have in this state of a shared history.

" ... If somebody is trying to be politically correct and use a tunnel vision on it and hook in the slavery issue, they're on a slippery slope toward narrow-mindedness and they should extend the charity of understanding. Receive it in the spirit that it is presented."

McConnell is a noted Civil War enthusiast, and has been photographed before donning Confederate garb in his 20 year history of partaking in reenactments.

According to AP, the black re-enactors were part of the Gullah-Geechee cultural group, known for demonstrating the mid-1800s.

Sharron Murphy, one of the members of the group, explained to the Post and Courier that they were compensated for their time at the event, and that their appearance was about educating, not offending.

"My husband and I are preservationists," Murray told the Post and Courier. "We teach people about the Gullah culture."
  • anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited September 2010
    Options
    slaves are a thing of the past. there are no slaves today (sarcasm):rolleyes:
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    anthony7q wrote: »
    slaves are a thing of the past. there are no slaves today (sarcasm):rolleyes:

There are slaves in Africa, owned by Africans.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options

co-sign....
  • anthony7q
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This is post Obama racial free America. Can ya'll feel the love? Can I get an Amen?:rolleyes:
  • anthony7q
    edited September 2010
    Options
    How can slaves in America help slaves in Africa? Both of our hands are tied.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    How can slaves in America help slaves in Africa? Both of our hands are tied.

Untie them, should have been a Houdini fan when you were young.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This is post Obama racial free America. Can ya'll feel the love? Can I get an Amen?:rolleyes:

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
  • anthony7q
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you brutha. Now shall we sing Kumbaya together?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    thank you brutha. Now shall we sing Kumbaya together?

No, them lyrics is wack.
  • busayo
    edited September 2010
    Options
    No, them lyrics is wack.

[sl revolutionary] house ? [/sl revolutionary]
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Oh my ? . How did I not see this thread for 11 hours?
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Wait a minute. Confederate garb? His suit is blue, not gray.

67ee994bff6045b8a65f0261a2b56c84_civil_war_at_lpd_3_small.jpg

civil-war-reenactment-confederate-web.jpg
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2010
    Options

THIS TOO....THIS TOO......more I thought about it, the more it twisted my head....

I mean, what kind of black man goes to a Civil War reenactment to be a SLAVE instead of a member of the 54th Massachusetts or something? What the ? ?

On the charge of Coonery in the 1st Degree, the jury finds the Defendants......Guilty.......
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

5kosvn.jpg

I dunno what else to say.... seriously...
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2010
    Options

There are slaves everywhere ? .
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Not a good luck for those two. It's like at some point you would ask yourself, "what the fck am I doing?"
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

*reverend x voice*
    Gotdamn house ? klu kluck ? membah wannabe struggling they house ? ass up the ladder of white supremacy.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Was this at some kind of Civil War re-enactment or something. Please tell me it was like Rennaisance Festival type thing. SMH at my home state.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    THIS TOO....THIS TOO......more I thought about it, the more it twisted my head....

I mean, what kind of black man goes to a Civil War reenactment to be a SLAVE instead of a member of the 54th Massachusetts or something? What the ? ?

On the charge of Coonery in the 1st Degree, the jury finds the Defendants......Guilty.......

lmao, that boondocks episode where Ruckus screamed guilty popped into my head