South Carolina Republican leader poses as a Confederate soldier with happy slaves

Options
2»

Comments

• Black Cat
    Black Cat Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2010
    Options
    wow. I wonder how much money they've paid them. smh
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Can't cue Nas...he's somewhere dissing Jesse Jackson, for being a champion of Nas' Civil Rights that he enjoys...

Besides, I heard that the Black people there w/ McConnell are merely musicians of a group who've spent years dressing up that same way in Period garb, relative to their Gullah Cultural Preservation Society...in which they dress in garb of the post war period. Plus they tell stories and perform musically to celebrate, that Period, while preserving/educating others about the heritage.

true story....just an unfortunate representation, circumstantially....I live down here now in Charleston. Gullah culture is kinda of a cross between "roots" and jamaica. Black middle class down here is not that prevelant, folks make a way whatever way they can....weaving baskets, or period music, etc etc.

And charleston (and surrounding counties) as a whole loves its colonial heritage. It's just...different.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    true story....just an unfortunate representation, circumstantially....I live down here now in Charleston. Gullah culture is kinda of a cross between "roots" and jamaica. Black middle class down here is not that prevelant, folks make a way whatever way they can....weaving baskets, or period music, etc etc.

And charleston (and surrounding counties) as a whole loves its colonial heritage. It's just...different.

Cool, I was hoping it was something like that.
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Cool, I was hoping it was something like that.

it's a double edged sword. While historically I think Gullah culture is important to preserve (complete w/full language/dialect, very similar to caribbean patois), if folks don't know, it just looks like "a bunch of backward nigras."

FYI Gullah is closely related to "geechee" ---which one people refer to depends on "whey dey from."

And they were definitely playing "folk" music--the guy has a washboard over his shoulder

At least I hope...I just re-read this sentence: "The picture found its way on the Internet dubbed "Slave Garb" and McConnell said everyone was wearing Civil War costumes, and it was an innocent moment among friends."

Who knows. If that's not the case, I agree--at least the brother couldve tried to be from the 54th or something. :-/
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    Options

it makes one strange caption especially with the smiley faces
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    it's a double edged sword. While historically I think Gullah culture is important to preserve (complete w/full language/dialect, very similar to caribbean patois), if folks don't know, it just looks like "a bunch of backward nigras."

FYI Gullah is closely related to "geechee" ---which one people refer to depends on "whey dey from."

And they were definitely playing "folk" music--the guy has a washboard over his shoulder

At least I hope...I just re-read this sentence: "The picture found its way on the Internet dubbed "Slave Garb" and McConnell said everyone was wearing Civil War costumes, and it was an innocent moment among friends."

Who knows. If that's not the case, I agree--at least the brother couldve tried to be from the 54th or something. :-/

Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right? I feel you and under stand your piece, but uh................? that. They still shouldn't have took the picture with a Confederate uniform wearing white boy.

They knew better. That one ? was smiling like he was posing for a Cream of Wheat box. Only thing missing was fried chicken and watermelon. Were they barefoot with banjos?
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Can't cue Nas...he's somewhere dissing Jesse Jackson, for being a champion of Nas' Civil Rights that he enjoys...

Besides, I heard that the Black people there w/ McConnell are merely musicians of a group who've spent years dressing up that same way in Period garb, relative to their Gullah Cultural Preservation Society...in which they dress in garb of the post war period. Plus they tell stories and perform musically to celebrate, that Period, while preserving/educating others about the heritage.

Hey now, Jesse dissed Barack. At least Nas was open with his.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm going to start a ? rental service. ? it, if we are gonna do it might as well get paid.

1-800-I-C-A-?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right?
    that is correct
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right? I feel you and under stand your piece, but uh................? that. They still shouldn't have took the picture with a Confederate uniform wearing white boy.

They knew better. That one ? was smiling like he was posing for a Cream of Wheat box. Only thing missing was fried chicken and watermelon. Were they barefoot with banjos?

ha ha where are you going with this