900 lb, 13-foot Alligtor (captured/killed)

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Social Lounge

Thoughts on this? A 900 lb, 13-foot gator, that's damn big. I think it's jacked up. Should've captured, took your pictures then released the thing.

I don't know how to tell age but I'm pretty sure this gator is pretty old.

Comments

• jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah they shouldn't have killed it...just like that pig...
    big_hog_hogzilla_pig_hunting_biggest.jpg
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well they are closest living thing to prehistoric dinosaurs so...

There have been a few this size captured, I remember one in Texas that was 14 ft long, don't know the weight though.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah they shouldn't have killed it...just like that pig...
    big_hog_hogzilla_pig_hunting_biggest.jpg

Photoshopped.....
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Look how proud they are whenever they destroy something great.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »

It's a threat to the people in that area. Small gators are a threat which is why there is a one month permit for hunting them. It's population control.

Imagine your kids outside playing and coming across a 900 lb gator, you would have killed it to.
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Photoshopped.....

nah, that was on the news like 2 or 3 years ago. barbecue sandwiches for months lol.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's a threat to the people in that area. Small gators are a threat which is why there is a one month permit for hunting them. It's population control.

Imagine your kids outside playing and coming across a 900 lb gator, you would have killed it to.

Of course, but I'd feel bad in a way because the gator was just doing what a gator does and here I came along and killed it; because from my humanly perspective it was a threat. Its that between a rock and hard place thing, human life vs animal life. What to do? Depends how buddha you are I guess lol
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Of course, but I'd feel bad in a way because the gator was just doing what a gator does and here I came along and killed it; because from my humanly perspective it was a threat. Its that between a rock and hard place thing, human life vs animal life. What to do? Depends how buddha you are I guess lol

I don't think it's right to ? an animal. But if you're going to eat it, it's harmful to you, it's in your damn garbage cans all night..... I would have no feelings toward killing it.

Obviously a gator is just doing it, but it doing what it does is harmful to people. I could see if it was in a deserted area swampland with no one, but they are right next to towns, and playgrounds, and things.

It also comes from where you were born and raised at. Like me, most of my childhood was in the middle of the city. Then from about 15-18 I moved in with foster parents who lived out in the country. From those three years I got a better understanding as to why the dude hunted and shot raccoons and stuff like that. There's a show that just came out on history channel called swamp people thats like 4 episodes in, maybe my "its okay" attitude comes from that because it explains it in ways I can't. All walks of people are down there hunting gators and the only one that really got under my skin was some Italian guy who wanted to go shoot a gator and see it die just so he could see how the skin he bought was obtained.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    that looks like a dinosaur
  • Chike
    edited September 2010
    Options

I said look how proud they look. Would it be too much to ask for them to feel some sort of remorse for having to destroy something magnificient such as a 13 foot life form? If it's for survival, do what you gotta do... but you don't have to take a photo of it with a ? eating grin on your face.

Oh and by the way... did you even watch the video? They went LOOKING for gators! Wtf is wrong with you man? It's like you just look for reasons to defend these people out of pure spite.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I said look how proud they look. Would it be too much to ask for them to feel some sort of remorse for having to destroy something magnificient such as a 13 foot life form? If it's for survival, do what you gotta do... but you don't have to take a photo of it with a ? eating grin on your face.

It's a cultural thing. People in the southern portion of the U.S. have been around gator hunting since they were children, to them the bigger the catch the more fascinating.
  • Chike
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's a cultural thing. People in the southern portion of the U.S. have been around gator hunting since they were children, to them the bigger the catch the more fascinating.

That's my point.... You know what else was a cultural thing? using black babies as bait.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That's my point.... You know what else was a cultural thing? using black babies as bait.

And this has to do with what?

We're talking about people who hunt gators now.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

wo wo wo, I've never heard of the bolded

That monster was pretty damn big, ? eating a lot of dogs
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    wo wo wo, I've never heard of the bolded

That monster was pretty damn big, ? eating a lot of dogs

Yea, back during slavery some gator hunters would tie black babies to a hook and dangle them overnight from a tree limb as bait for the gator.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yea, back during slavery some gator hunters would tie black babies to a hook and dangle them overnight from a tree limb as bait for the gator.

damn learn something new... and sad... more fruit from the Popular tree
  • Chike
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And this has to do with what?

We're talking about people who hunt gators now.

They're not allowed to now.... but what if they were? You think they wouldn't? lol anyone that takes that much enjoyment out of taking life probably wouldn't give two ? about doing that.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I said look how proud they look. Would it be too much to ask for them to feel some sort of remorse for having to destroy something magnificient such as a 13 foot life form?
    there's nothing "magnificent" about those ridiculous hogs
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wow.

Okay, I'll admit that I've NEVER heard of this until Chike mentioned. Sounds too crazy to be true, like an urban myth or somethin. I was hoping it WASN'T true.

So I Google it.....all the links cite the same deleted Youtube vid......so far, so good........sounds like myth.

Then I stumble across this:

10142_0687_1_lg.jpg

Oh no.

Google "Little African Licorice Drops" and I find these:

1897_Alligator_Bait_Photo_view1.jpg

1909_Postcard_Quincy_Florida-Alligator.jpg

1940sc_Postcard_Alligator_01.jpg

Wow. Those sick evil ? actually did that ? . Used black babies as bait. ? Damn.

And White People thought it was funny for the longest. That last postcard with the cartoon? From the 1940s.

smh
  • Chike
    edited September 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    there's nothing "magnificent" about those ridiculous hogs

All life is magnificient, my friend.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It does seem a bit ridiculous for her to take such joy in killing something. I mean I'm not anti-hunting so to speak, but I just don't see how taking the life of anything animal or person can be such a joyous event.
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Personally, I dont believe in killing just to ? . This chick's not even from the south--she's from Massachusetts. She went down there specifically to hunt and ? an alligator. Just a total disregard for life. The story didn't say what she plans on doing with it, but I doubt she plans on taking it back to New England. Probably take the head as a trophy and that's about it.

South Carolina law "requires that you secure the gator to the boat before you shoot it."
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    PRETTY MuCH
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Jesus Christ!!! thats a big gator!!!