So is the recession really over?

Options
2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And then there are the people who refuse to the work an available job because of pay, location, distance, type of work, hours, etc...

Then there are those who worked before because they had to so bills would get paid, now unemployment is paying the bills so they are riding the wave.

For every 20 people putting out resume after resume there are 40 who are riding the wave til it dies.

I can't speak for Pittsburgh or PA, but in NY, young people are really having a hard time finding a decent, good job. I'm a college grad with a Political Science degree, and there are few legal jobs out there. I'm lucky to work for an internet company and I also have my security job, but I know I should be working better jobs than this as a college grad.

44 million people are living in poverty in America......and much more have dropped out of the labor force (either selling drugs, ass, movies, or going back to school). 15 million people at least can't find a job, the statistics don't back you up nationwide.
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    We in a depression now, the greatest depression.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol @ people thinking there's any possible way for this recession to recover. This is it, folks.. this is the end. The only solution for these ? on the top to keep things in their favor is to put people back in chains. Unless they can figure out a way to travel to that new Earth planet within this decade.

Why do you think they want a one world government? Because they sent all the jobs over seas to pay people 25 cents a day so they could make more money. Meanwhile they are replacing all the remaining jobs here with computers. There is no bouncing back from this, guys.... keep dreaming. lol
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    lol @ people thinking there's any possible way for this recession to recover. This is it, folks.. this is the end. The only solution for these ? on the top to keep things in their favor is to put people back in chains. Unless they can figure out a way to travel to that new Earth planet within this decade.

Why do you think they want a one world government? Because they sent all the jobs over seas to pay people 25 cents a day so they could make more money. Meanwhile they are replacing all the remaining jobs here with computers. There is no bouncing back from this, guys.... keep dreaming. lol

Co-Sign.
    this person speaks much of the truth here.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »

relax, now take off the tin foil hat
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    relax, now take off the tin foil hat

Wow... you're a tool.

Tinfoil Hat
    Nutjob
    Hippie
    Treehugger

If you use any of these terms, you're an unoriginal brain dead tool.

sionb55 wrote: »
    The Great Depression saw GDP worldwide for many countries drop atleast 40%. this recession is not nearly as bad as the 1930s recession was. Its more comparable to the 1970s recession tho. North America has experienced a lot of recessions in its lifetime & everytime it has come thru & came out stronger. This is no different. Businesses are coming back across the board, US homesales are up, employment will ease in due time, corporate america is at break-even w/ returning revenues & profits back to what they once were & banks are reporting higher earnings than b4. If u feel that this recession is the end of the world ? yaself now & miss out on all the growth.

The one world gov't wont work. It wont ever happened. Its way too risky for other countries to combine currencies plus theres conflicts of interests. if I were say Swiztzerland & my francs were rising to incredible levels that made it beneficial for us to acquire yuans at a good price and were increasing productivity & a bunch of countries elsewhere were mad b/c they had to pay more for swiss products or services that were essential to them it'd be a huge conflict of interest. There is a shift in technology & possibly in power. A lot of countries that are a bit more well off than the states are doing this but theyre still doin good.

How? If they sent all the good jobs over seas and are currently replacing all the other jobs with computers and robots... what exactly could they possibly do to lower the unemployment rate for the middle and lower class people? Do you know they got smart robots that can organize, pack and ship products day and night in an entire warehouse without a single help from humans? And it's way cheaper than paying employees.

So you can compare this recession to previous ones that had nothing to do with people being replaced by self thinking computers. The only thing close would be the industrial revolution but, people were still needed to operate the machinery so unemployment was not that big a deal.... this is completely different.

I never said a one world government was going to be easy to pull off. It's going to take something massive... something to SCARE people into agreeing to it. And there's alot of scared tools in this world ready to give up everything they stand for just to feel "safe". I mean these sheep get defensive if you even speak about something like this that they resort to calling you pathetically dismissive terms liek the ones I posted above.... It's sad, and the only reason I would welcome something like this to happen would be to set these mindless ? straight. Wake up call!
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Jobs being shipped overseas b/c of computers is inconsistent w/ unemployment gettin worst. If we can replace jobs in NA w/ computers, robots or w/e ur claiming why wouldn't similar economies that are better off & are expanding GDP and surplus' rapidly as well ? the fact of the matter is the spread of technology isnt goin to outpace the rate of growth of employment nor will it decrease it on such a scale that America wont be come back - its really a minimal issue. As I said businesses are coming back across the board & this recession doesnt compare to the Great Depression or others (its similar to the 1970s one tho) which means that we will persevere. The biggest issue in America is the trade deficit but again the American Economy is an incredible machine. There were periods were the deficit was 90 & 120% of GDP and the country still churned out high output & eventually brought those deficits down and prospered. U say its the end of the world yet nearly every major country - Canada, India, Russia, Brazil, China, Singapore & Australia have come out fine so why wouldnt the States (which is more efficient and the core economy of the world) ? its only a matter of time but the US will be fine. It wont heal in 6 months to a year (imo it will take 3 more years or so to go back to solid prosperity) but it will get there.

& again a 1 world gov't wont work that wont ever happen. There are countries that are better off by themselves who would not want to inherit the deficits or shortcomings of other countries therefore they wouldnt agree to it. Asking or scaring ppl into it is outta the question. U need to take a class on Macroeconomics & Global Economics so that u understand that would actually take & why it wont ever happen. B4 u go into conspiracy theories about Robots & 1 World Gov'ts let me just say that a conspiracy is not a foundation of knowledge.

How is it out of the question? All it takes is a 9/11 to the hundredth power to scare gullible people into signing their life on the dotted line. Right now you're right, none of those independent countries would go for it... but with an event that calls for it... Don't act like it's impossible... besides, many of the leaders of these so called independent countries are most likely planted their and acting the hero part for the time being to gain trust.

And again, this is nothing like the 70's. This is a new age. A new age of technology that the public of 1975 could only DREAM of having. If a computer can do the job cheaper and better than a human being, in a capitalistic society, what makes you think they're going to hire people over the computer? This is not a conspiracy theory, this is what's taking place. New Business? What new businesses are you talking about?

The only way out of this mess is if the Western World does the right thing.... let's be realistic... not gonna happen with the leaders we got right now. lol
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Gas prices is still 2 and change so its not over
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options
    obama is doing all he can. Just give him time, he's already saved the u.s. From what could have been a catastrophic event had he not enacted the stimulus & pushed financial reform. I know a lot of ppl are fed up that hes not moving fast enough but he's really doin all he can. Tomorrow's future is bright for america, you just have to be willing to sleep through the night.

lol..........
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well I think it is out of the question lolol. There are a good number of stupid heads of state LOL but at the same time they do understand their country & its situation. They wont stand to give up valuable resources or advantages that are very much in their favor & other countries arent going to want to inherit possible issues w/ other countries as well. For the most part it is impossible due to the conflicts of interests countries would have w/ one another. It'd be very very hard to decide who gets to make decisions. One World Government is almost like saying there will be world peace - its just NOT happening.

It is very much like the 1970s recession. The cost of the vietnamese war & the cost of the war in iraq, the national deficits being high, consumption issues, high gov't spending, stock market crash of 1973-74 vs. the stock market crash of 2008/2009, fears of stagflation (& possibly deflation), the 2 eras are very similar. Only thing is sure technology is prominent but its not that significant to where ppl have to be scared about jobs being shipped elsewhere & ppl being unemployed for longer. Corporate America is going to start hiring again in droves in the next 2 or so years & that is what truly will bring back the economy.

Everyone around the world is well on their way out of this mess some are already out of it. America has improving home sales, the housing market is improving, unemployment is dropping, american business is improving. Most recessions last 18 to 24 months this one will be no diff't. All recessions are temporary & the Americans will be fine. Technology will erase a lot of jobs but thats more of a minimal issue its not a threat to society to where the entire economy will crumble if its prominence isnt stopped.

You're extremely optimistic.......for all of our sake, I hope you're right.

Cuz if you're not, I'm getting a vasectomy next year. Times is too expensive for me to have any little brats running around in my name.
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options

if two of the greatest investors of all time can tell u with the utmost confidence that america will be fine then that should be a good indicator that america is on its way up. fact of the matter is it has never paid to bet against the americans. They will & always be the largest economy in the world and the most important one as well.

lol!

1238302939955.jpg

Options
    Technically the recession was over in June of 09. But ? know the recession been goin on since 07 and still pumpin to today. There is no end in sight. 500k jobs would have to be created every month for the next few years to get back to normal. And even that wouldn't solve the underlying fundamental problems with our "put hand in other people's pocket" economy.
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah the recession (as in continuous contractions in GDP) is over, but the effects of the recession aren't leaving anytime soon
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yikes reading these comments shows how much people dont understand economics....
  • adagreat
    adagreat Members Posts: 679
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? cuz muthafuckers still out of jobs yo!!! i swaer the country knows how to manipulate people mind and thinking!!! FOH!