Have you ever been racially discriminated before, if so how?

Options
elliott
elliott Members Posts: 18
edited September 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I was being interviewed by 2 men and 1 woman for an Administrative Assistant job.

I was very well prepared for my interview. I was on time, well spoken, I had on a nice suit and nice shoes, earrings were not dangling and my hair looked professional and my fingernails were short with clear nail polish on them. I wore a great smile, and made eye contact with them. I had extra resumes with me and researched the company before my interview. The only time the white female interviewer looked at my face was when I first walked through the door. The two gentlemen began the interview. Their questions were very thorough and they seemed pretty pleased with my responses. The female never lifted her head from her paper while interviewing me. She asked me silly questions but I did not show offense and politely answered all her questions. They were a team and I would have had to work for the 3 of them. I was most qualified for the job. The interview went well and the gentlemen were interested in hiring me. I had a good feeling about the job interview when I left. When I followed up with H.R. I learned that the two men were pleased but the female thought I would not be a good fit and I did not get the job. I should have said thank you for meeting with me but this job is not for me. Because I needed and wanted the job, I decided to stay. I did not get the job. I know I had been racially discriminated by the white woman. Her face was beet red during the entire interview so I know she was not feeling me. Have you ever felt like you had been racially discriminated before?

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're a woman?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maybe she thought you would outshine her, a lot of females don't like to have any kind of better woman around.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yea, my first ever meeting for a pro ball team. The team was in Spain and the guy said some ? like "we like a dark mans athletic ability, but his skin not so much but you play good we can overlook that". I just got up and left.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yea, my first ever meeting for a pro ball team. The team was in Spain and the guy said some ? like "we like a dark mans athletic ability, but his skin not so much but you play good we can overlook that". I just got up and left.

Wow! Really? Well you got to remember, Spaniards suffer from psychological trauma from the presence of the Moors, when they were conquering and banging everything in their sites.

I am surprised you didn't overlook that though, considering.........well.............you know...
  • elliott
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maybe she thought you would outshine her, a lot of females don't like to have any kind of better woman around.

Another time I went on a job interview and the lady said to me if you are looking to advance to VP, this may not be the job for you.
  • elliott
    edited September 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    You're a woman?

Yes and very beautiful I might add. My friends call me Elliott Ness.
  • elliott
    edited September 2010
    Options

That sucks. Glad you left, that was their loss.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes. I was over my roommates parent's house and they had Tea and Grape Drink, and his parents offered me the grape drink. It was good too............
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Wow! Really? Well you got to remember, Spaniards suffer from psychological trauma from the presence of the Moors, when they were conquering and banging everything in their sites.

I am surprised you didn't overlook that though, considering.........well.............you know...

Well you know, you have a perception of me that's false.

Me standing up for people who I don't think is racist makes you believe I put on a performance for those who are.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well you know, you have a perception of me that's false.

Me standing up for people who I don't think is racist makes you believe I put on a performance for those who are.

DiddyDancing.gif

LOL. I'm just kidding man. Seriously.
  • elliott
    edited September 2010
    Options

I was one of 2 black girls working in the WTC Building 2 on the 104th floor during the O.J. Simpson trial.

The day of the verdict the conference room was packed. I love law and watched every second of the trial and saw flaws in the case. When the verdict was not guility, I cheered like the rest of black people around the world.

The next week I was demoted to a lower position but they could not reduce my high paying salary. I hung out in that position until I found a new job and left. Thank ? I left the company because I would have died along with many of my co-workers when that plane came crashing into the WTC. That was straight up racism.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    one time i went somewhere and the guy was like "no whites"

and i was like "are you sure?"

and he was like "oh wait... my bad, I meant no blacks. come on in!"

and that place was America.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    one time i went somewhere and the guy was like "no whites"

and i was like "are you sure?"

and he was like "oh wait... my bad, I meant no blacks. come on in!"

and that place was America.

I don't get it.
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    Aquaf!nafloe Confirm Email Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    when i was sick and preggo wit my daughter i had to get on the bus and goto the hospital the bus driver wouldnt let me on the bus becuase he said i looked like i would affect everyone and it was pouring down raining almost getting dark i had to wait for another bus :( yes it was a white man