Real Terminators

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Social Lounge
5 parts, watch it.

What do you think? Do you think the reality of them "taking over" would really come into play?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I ain't gone watch the videos to be real with you, from the screens it looks like something I watched on TV the other day.

But yea, I know we will have them in the future and yes I do think we have to be careful. A computer isn't a sure proof way to make things work, the consequences of making these things too smart are very bad for us when something malfunctions.

The good news would be though all we'd have to do is throw a cup of water on them to make them short circuit and eventually die.

The things in this kinda reminded me of the robots on fallout 3 too.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There was already an incident in South Africa when a land-based combat drone hit a software bug and started spraying everything around it...

People don't realize how complex software code is. You're talking millions of lines of code.....on average.......and a team of people to maintain it.

If armies aren't careful, software bugs - or worse, viruses and hacking - could ? around and get alot of people killed.
  • VIBE
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ^ It's worse than worrying about a hack or virus. It's about these 'robots' being able to think for themselves and that's the kind of 'robot' they have planned for 2025-2030.

This is only 15-20 years away and that's close enough. Their plans are to make robots that can go into combat, wars etc instead of humans. Sounds good. BUT they wanna give these robots their own minds in which we don't control. They're able to make decision, split second decisions. They'll function like a human does. They'll be able to read ? expressions, tones in voices, body language pick up on anger, fear, scared etc. They'll pretty much just be a human but in robot form. That's enough to wonder, could they "turn on humans" ? Even the guys in the show said that is possible. Also, these robots can self reproduce, yeah I just said SELF REPRODUCE. Crazy ? but seriously watch the videos.

Could you image MILLIONS of these on a battle front then afterwards or even before just decided they ain't doing ? and pulling off an iRobot type of situation? Of course with weapons and all? That's actually a scary scenario, unless they all come with some sort of ? switch. But even then, they could probably figure out how to over ride that.

It all sounds silly as hell but anything is possible and from what I've seen it's crazy. If we make it to 2030 then we're living in a robot world. (police, firemen, soldiers, rescue workers) all will be robots. Not to mention servants etc.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    ^ It's worse than worrying about a hack or virus. It's about these 'robots' being able to think for themselves and that's the kind of 'robot' they have planned for 2025-2030.

This is only 15-20 years away and that's close enough. Their plans are to make robots that can go into combat, wars etc instead of humans. Sounds good. BUT they wanna give these robots their own minds in which we don't control. They're able to make decision, split second decisions. They'll function like a human does. They'll be able to read ? expressions, tones in voices, body language pick up on anger, fear, scared etc. They'll pretty much just be a human but in robot form. That's enough to wonder, could they "turn on humans" ? Even the guys in the show said that is possible. Also, these robots can self reproduce, yeah I just said SELF REPRODUCE. Crazy ? but seriously watch the videos.

Could you image MILLIONS of these on a battle front then afterwards or even before just decided they ain't doing ? and pulling off an iRobot type of situation? Of course with weapons and all? That's actually a scary scenario, unless they all come with some sort of ? switch. But even then, they could probably figure out how to over ride that.

It all sounds silly as hell but anything is possible and from what I've seen it's crazy. If we make it to 2030 then we're living in a robot world. (police, firemen, soldiers, rescue workers) all will be robots. Not to mention servants etc.

If we could somehow initiate a ? switch though and/or make them unable to override commands could you imagine the good it would have though?

The only flaw I really see at that point is the amount of oil we would need to maintain them.

But from an economic and dangerous job aspect, they would do wonders. It would get to the point where there would be next to 0 jobs available because they could handle most of them. It would either be very good for that reason because people would be getting paid not to work which would be essentially we would all get a check at the beginning of the month and all our utilities and places like hospitals and what not would be completely run by the government and free and paid for by all the extra money saved.

The downside is if they take all the jobs and the government still expects you to find work because certain people like to remain levels beyond rich and watch people struggle.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Humans are ? ? ...
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    GET OUT (in Arnold's voice).
  • VIBE
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Humans are ? ? ...

Yeah, and not only are they trying to mess up with robots, they're pulling some strange ? with mind control. Same program, That's Impossible: Mind Control. And it's talking computer chips in your head.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah, and not only are they trying to mess up with robots, they're pulling some strange ? with mind control. Same program, That's Impossible: Mind Control. And it's talking computer chips in your head.

lol Mind control is not impossible.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    man them damn white boys gonna hach this damn thing and make it go after alll black people ....thats what i see
    and the black people that dont want to read or learn cant do ? about it because they dont understand whats happening...

i see the future of this ? going very bad
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the japanese are gonna b the ones to make skynet. have yall seen the robots they made out there?? they have robots were you can have full on convos with them and ? . its creepy as ? .
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    you would think with all the movies that have come out of the years about robots and machines turning on humans we would be more careful
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol Mind control is not impossible.

Of course it is... What makes you think it's not?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Of course it is... What makes you think it's not?

Because the mind can easily be manipulated.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yea thats where it got scary. self replicating and lethal decision making robots... and they dont sound like its that far away.

that Iron Man suit is in the works too: