Recommend a Non-Fiction Book

Options

Comments

• DougyDoris
    DougyDoris Members Posts: 6
    edited October 2010
    Options
    How about a great fiction book...but it could definitely one day be non-fiction. The name of the book is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's great. It's all about large machining, effects of government on business, and what not. Great read. Supposed to be made into a book, soon!
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Washington: A life

51DeFBebGuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Bible, written by "ImGoingToHeavenRU?"

...lol

you see what I did there? :D
  • lexico cold
    lexico cold Members Posts: 40
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Motion Paradox - Joseph Mazur - Interesting book kind of a mix between science and philosophy based on Xeno's popular paradox(s). I'm still having problems with 0.9999999 =1 because it almost seems like they negate the idea of infinity.
  • lexico cold
    lexico cold Members Posts: 40
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Plus it has a cool history of modern day clocks and the different inventions of tools to measure time.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Great Transformation by Karl Polanyi

Sound and Fury by Eric Alterman

When Victims become Killers by Mahmood Mamdani (this is a good one on the rwanda genocide, I noticed some of u guys mentioned other books on this subject)
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Game - Niel Strauss

What dude said. I also recommend The Mystery Method and The Pick Up Artist, both by Mystery.

The Federalist.

Hirohito and The Making of Modern Japan by Herbert Pix.

My Life by Bill Clinton

Assuming of you haven't read it, The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill

Classic Slave Narratives

The Art of Seduction by Robert Green

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Erhman

? Is Not Great: How Religion Posions Everything by Christopher Hitchens.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Game - Niel Strauss

the quickest 400 pgs I've ever read
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the book of five rings by miyamoto musashi...Asphalt gods
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    - The auto-biografie of 'Casimir graaf von Schlippenbach is the ? , he waged wars, ? everything he could, gambled and traded arms. they actually rewarded the one that murdered him lol, still he wrote a very sick book(1682-1755)

- The Assassin Legends by Farhad Daftary (for those that are familair with the assassins creed games, u gotta have this!)

- Jancko Douwama's writings, in dutch the title translate as 'a man of honour' (don't know if this was ever translated in english though, it are the writings of a bro that defied the emperor and got thrown in prison for 10 years where he was tortured etc, the writings were smuggled out the prison)

- The hunt for spanish silver(I translated the dutch title 'op jacht naar spaans silver) It's the ships journal of Willem van Brederode, kapitein der mariniers in de nassause vloot(navy captain of the fleet of nassause) from 1623 untill 1626. It's epic.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World Absolutely Small:
    by Michael D. Fayer

Health and Nutrition Secrets
    by Russell L Blaylock MD

Cell Talk: Transmitting Mind into DNA Cell Talk: Transmitting Mind into DNA
    by John E. Upledger

The Global Economic Crisis The Great Depression of the XXI Century
    by Michel Chossudovsky

Dark Side of the Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Cosmos
    by Iain Nicolson

Infinity and the Mind: The Science and Philosophy of the Infinite (Princeton Science Library)
    by Rudy Rucker

The Roots of Transcendence
    by Edward Bruce Bynum

Afrikan People And European Holidays: A Mental Genocide Book One
    by Ishakamusa Barashango
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    tabatha_ wrote: »
    The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould. Brilliant book on scientific racisim, sexism, classism and every other 'ism'.
    The Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen.
    Ways of Seeing by John Berger
    Autobiography of Malcolm x
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife or a Hat by Oliver Sacks. His book Awakenings way turned into a fim with DeNiro and Robin Williams

^^^those sound interesting, will have to check those out. With the exception of Malcolm X, ive read that one a few times, very powerful book.
  • Rare_
    Rare_ Members Posts: 14
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Think and Grow Rich-napolen hill...its as good as the bible..will change your entire way of thinking
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    tabatha_ wrote: »
    Oh they most definitely are. If you like Howard Zimm then you will like James Loewen.
    The Mismeasure of Man is great because it shows that prejudices have been even harder to refute just because faulty science has "co-signed" so many negative stereotypes and that people believe it, just because it is 'science'. He also refutes the Bell Curve theory, and argues that IQ testing is counterproductive.

As for Malcolm X, well that should be mandatory reading and should definitely be read more than once. You are right; very powerful book.

i listen to Howard Zinn audios often here on public radio.

on the bolded, there are many posters on this forum who hold that view, and also put much stock in IQ testing, which has been proven instances of racial/cultural biases, but there are many who cling to those things and hold them as ultimate truths.

thanks for posting these, ive already copied them into my notepad and added them to the long list of other books i have to check out. lol.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The Physics of Basketball

John J. Fontanella

great for anybody who wants to improve in basketball in a scientific way....even explains how you can shatter the glass when you dunk....if u want.

Does anybody know any good Lucid Dreaming books......I'm trying to learn how to know when I'm dreaming and control that ? .
  • showkase2
    showkase2 Members Posts: 66
    edited December 2010
    Options
    "The Unseen Hand"

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Hand-Ralph-Epperson/dp/0961413506

If you search in the right places, you'll find a PDF. I'm currently reading this. It's very interesting...
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    A Long Way Gone-Ishmael Beah

Soul On Ice-Elderidge Cleaver

Finding Fish - Antwone Fisher

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Maya Angelou's autobiographic series

Animal Equality-Joan Dunayer

Speciesism-Joan Dunayer

Animal Liberation-Peter Singer

Black Gold of the Sun-Ekow Eshun

Assata - Assata Shakur

Left To Tell-Immaculee Libagiza

Thoughts Are Free-Munyonzwe Hamelengwa
  • edogz818
    edogz818 Members Posts: 164
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Assata - An Autobiography by Assata Shakur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur

Shakur was one of those wanted for questioning for wounding a police officer attempting to serve a traffic summons in Brooklyn on January 26, 1972 . After a March 1, 1972 $89,000 Brooklyn bank robbery, a Daily News headline asked: "Was that JoAnne?"; Shakur was also wanted for questioning after a further September 1, 1972 Bronx bank robbery. Msgr. John Powis alleged that Shakur was involved in an armed robbery at his Our Lady of the Presentation church in Brownsville, Brooklyn on September 14, 1972 based on FBI photographs.

In 1972, Shakur was the subject of a nationwide manhunt after the FBI alleged that she was the "revolutionary mother hen" of a Black Liberation Army cell that had conducted a "series of cold-blooded murders of New York City police officers", including the "execution style murders" of New York Police Officers Joseph Piagentini and Waverly Jones on May 21, 1971 and Gregory Foster and Rocco Laurie on January 28, 1972. Shakur was alleged to have been directly involved with the Foster and Laurie murders, and involved with the Piagentini and Jones murders. Some sources go further, identifying Shakur as the de facto leader and the "soul of the Black Liberation Army" after the arrest of cofounder Dhoruba Moore. Robert Daley, Deputy Commissioner of the New York City Police, for example, described Shakur as "the final wanted fugitive, the soul of the gang, the mother hen who kept them together, kept them moving, kept them shooting"

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/dt/joanne-deborah-chesimard
  • edogz818
    edogz818 Members Posts: 164
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @ Huruma:
    I didn't see you drop Assata Shakur!
    I posted just to school him!
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    He goes into his journey very very detailed. He writes his story 65% of the book, but it has all the specifics into the story. Then another like 20% of pages are emails and stuff he saved from then, 10% are more tips just sketched on the pages, and the other 5% are random things, like what women find interesting that you're wearing, what type of things they don't and stuff like that.

Like he goes into each PUA's method, what worked, why it worked, how it worked, the lines he was taught, etc... Even if you're someone who can pick up women now, just reading the book will make you pick em up 100 times better. Basically reading his book is the equivalent of paying 1500 to go one of the Guru's shows. The ? is amazing.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm gonna buy this book soon, as soon as I finish reading Samurai! by Saburo Sakai, one of the biggest killers the Japanese airforce ever had in WW2. My game has been slacking lately, and I could use some new advice.

Another book I highly recommend is Decoded by Jay-Z. One of the most fascinating books I've ever read.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    edogz818 wrote: »
    @ Huruma:
    I didn't see you drop Assata Shakur!
    I posted just to school him!

It was a good book, I read it a few years ago. The only non-fiction I'm really into anymore are autobiographies.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    I like reading history, politics and biographies.

King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
    The Great War for Civilization - Robert Fisk

What are some good non-fiction books you've read?

I'm half way into MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER by Nathan McCall. [search engine him and book]

Valuable information for anyone who cares to understand current race relations state of affairs.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Structure of Atom: The Space Inside of an Atom is Not Empty
    by Joseph George

Quantum Physics for Poets
    by Leon M. Lederman

Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
    by Carroll Quigley

African Origin of Biological Psychiatry
    Richard King

Blacked Out Through Whitewash: Exposing the Quantum Deception/Rediscovering and Recovering Suppressed Melanated
    by Suzar

A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya
    Swami Satyananda Saraswati

The Subtle Energy Body: The Complete Guide
    by Maureen Lockhart Ph.D.

Lost Light: An Interpretation of Ancient Scriptures
    by Alvin Boyd Kuhn

The Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order
    by Michel Chossudovsky
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Autobiography of Malcom X
    The Souls of Black Folks - W. E. B. Du Bois, great book if you wanna kno wat happened immediately after the slaves were freed, and it speaks about his life too