Jay Electronica on Carson Daily: "Act 2 is more like a meal"

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Essence

I know dude gets flak for what seems to be a slow work ethic, but if everything he releases is as good as Act 1, then that's cool to me.

Act 2 had this video promoting it:

Still hasn't dropped though as far as I'm aware, can't wait though :tu

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Nice drop 'Draft... Elect is the truth
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Definitely, can't wait for him to come out :tu

Do you know the name of the track that's on the preview at the start? Is that related to Eternal Sunshine as well or???

I love that track with the simple keys.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I just dl'd the best of mixtape he dropped and hes got dope ass rhymes no doubt...but I gotta say he hasnt really delivered on an album(as far as I know) so I guess im setting the bar kidna high for him. Cant wait though!!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He's unorthodox with it... whether you agree or not he done CHANGED the game

How many rappers have jumped on the Exhibits A & C beats? How many mixtapes?...
  • xRapHeadx
    xRapHeadx Members Posts: 155
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Act II is not meant to be released. It's a promotional gimmick.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    xRapHeadx wrote: »
    Act II is not meant to be released. It's a promotional gimmick.

You know this for fact?
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    From previous actions, I can assert that.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    From previous actions, I can assert that.

Be interesting to see if you're right, I think it will drop though...
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There is no definitive incentive for dropping it. He's already getting shows all over the world, and having never released an album. He realizes he will never go plat. Doesn't matter. He'll still get shows because of Exhibit C. He promises Act II to keep him relevant and the shows coming in.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There is no definitive incentive for dropping it. He's already getting shows all over the world, and having never released an album. He realizes he will never go plat. Doesn't matter. He'll still get shows because of Exhibit C. He promises Act II to keep him relevant and the shows coming in.

It's an interesting concept, but you don't spend over a month in the studio to not release something to amp up an album... if it's promised, release it... he's not the type of emcee who couldn't follow up on the hype... so he should keep it flowing and eventually release it...

I see what you're saying with no real incentive in a way, but that's like Nas sitting back on Illmatic as a 19 year old and saying to himself, ahh this will hold me down for a good decade. I think Jay Elec has a lot more hunger than that.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    It's an interesting concept, but you don't spend over a month in the studio to not release something to amp up an album... if it's promised, release it... he's not the type of emcee who couldn't follow up on the hype... so he should keep it flowing and eventually release it...

I see what you're saying with no real incentive in a way, but that's like Nas sitting back on Illmatic as a 19 year old and saying to himself, ahh this will hold me down for a good decade. I think Jay Elec has a lot more hunger than that.

Nas was coming up in the golden age of hip hop. The culture was to make and release music. Nowadays, getting buzz and getting shows off that buzz is what's important to most rappers who can't go plat. The hype is still there. Dude gets crazy love for one ? track. Only ~60 tracks available. He's winning like crazy.

Act III is most definitely going to be released...maybe in 2 years.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Nas was coming up in the golden age of hip hop. The culture was to make and release music. Nowadays, getting buzz and getting shows off that buzz is what's important to most rappers who can't go plat. The hype is still there. Dude gets crazy love for one ? track. Only ~60 tracks available. He's winning like crazy.

Act III is most definitely going to be released...maybe in 2 years.

I understand the need for promotion and shows, but I think you mistake Jay for someone who's about the cash only, when I think he's more so about the music. I think this shows with his creativity on Act I to Exhibit C.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He's creative sure. His wanting to be paid for rapping says nothing about his talent. Why release music, that if received negatively, kills your buzz, while you can just not release it and continue to get show money.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He's creative sure. His wanting to be paid for rapping says nothing about his talent. Why release music, that if received negatively, kills your buzz, while you can just not release it and continue to get show money.

I get what you're getting at, my point is, he lives for the music and wants to put out his music and see how it is responded to. The same reason Jay-Z steps in the booth every Spring to bring a new album, only Jay Elec steps in with a passion.

Point is, whatever Jay Electronica touches at the moment is nice, if he has all this music from 6 weeks in the studio (as reported in the video) then he's probably sitting on a lot of dope music that he will want to release. Otherwise it's a waste of studio time... IMO.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? lives because he breathes. He has at least 3 projects that are finished that you will likely never see. Why? Because the monetary benefit does not exceed the risk that he puts out a mediocre tape and kills all buzz he has.

Oh, and he isn't invincible...this is coming from a stan. He put out a terrible verse on the Super Nova feature. His Game verse was average. The Paul Wall verse was repetitive and mediocre. He has a damn good discog, but besides Million in the Morning,Act II ruff, and the Curren$y feature, everything else has been bad.
  • JackAssInTheBox
    JackAssInTheBox Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Soo...When does this ? actually drop
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's not supposed to drop...Promotional gimmick
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ? lives because he breathes. He has at least 3 projects that are finished that you will likely never see. Why? Because the monetary benefit does not exceed the risk that he puts out a mediocre tape and kills all buzz he has.

Oh, and he isn't invincible...this is coming from a stan. He put out a terrible verse on the Super Nova feature. His Game verse was average. The Paul Wall verse was repetitive and mediocre. He has a damn good discog, but besides Million in the Morning,Act II ruff, and the Curren$y feature, everything else has been bad.

Im curious to see how this one plays out...i definately think you made a valid point about releasing a mediocre album and killing the hype. In the end though, I think he is gonna drop it.. When? not sure but he will in time. I think kenna also makes a point about his passion for the music itself. I've heard a couple interviews and he seems hungry...
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He has a deal wit Decon to release Act III, so that's definitely coming. Act II is never meant to be released. It's a gimmick. There are no Nas features which he said were the reason he pushed it back. on New Years lol....He's a schemer and a businessman.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options

He had to take risks to get to the bolded stage, he'll keep 'em coming IMO. Maybe not this year but certainly first half of 2011, we'll get a new disc to spin.

Maybe he is riding the tracks that have gotten buzz, but if he continues to not release things, dude will be labelled lazy by most (as is already happening now).

Nice to hear he has a deal for Act III, but would be stupid of him to skip a number IMO. Makes no sense.

But we're going backwards and forwards over something that we can't agree on without hindsight.

I just hope he comes with something soon.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He's not lazy, he's a "perfectionist"..JB already has the excuses in place lol.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He's not lazy, he's a "perfectionist"..JB already has the excuses in place lol.

lol I'll wait for some perfection happily anyways.

What other artists you into?
  • xRapHeadx
    edited September 2010
    Options
    DOOM and Joe Budden
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2010
    Options
    DOOM and Joe Budden

Cool, cool, you have an obscure taste, quite a lot of difference between them three... you delve any deeper than that?

I like Doom, but only passively and liked Slaughterhouse and some of Joe Budden's stuff... but not majorly.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't like new Joe Budden. MM2-MM3 Joey was great.

I love DOOM. 4 classic projects and gets zero GOAT love.