The greatest actor of this generation! Who you got?!

Options
2»

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Johny Depp imo

Why are yall bring up Jack, Deniro, Pacino,etc, those cats arent this generation.
  • headrek1
    headrek1 Members Posts: 121
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I mean no hate on denzel, or pacino but weren't they last gen? Anyway what is Dicapprio (mid 30's?) I gotta say pund for pound he's the best actor on that list, that dude has run the gamut from the ? touchy feely ? to ? like the departed annd inception.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    headrek1 wrote: »
    I mean no hate on denzel, or pacino but weren't they last gen? Anyway what is Dicapprio (mid 30's?) I gotta say pund for pound he's the best actor on that list, that dude has run the gamut from the ? touchy feely ? to ? like the departed annd inception.

It's kind of hard to ? up a Scorsese film, dude is a average actor to me. SMH at dudes ? acting and accent in Blood Diamonds.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There's people actually dumb enough to consider Tom Cruise and Will Smith the actor of a generation?? This isnt a bout who makes the most money at the box office, so ? them and Clooney. *smh* @ you having them and not Robert DuVall, Jack Nicholson, Edward Norton, Ed Harris, Jeff Bridges, Joaquin Phoenix, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis, crazy ass Sean Penn, etc.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is unbelievably good. Never fails to amaze me. I was watching him in Along Came Polly the other day and it never fails to impress me how perfect he is in all genres. The guy is off the charts amazing.
  • destro1
    destro1 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I like most of Leo's work been a fan since Gilbert Grape but he's the definition of overhyped. on Heath Ledger though even Leo would probably co-sign as his body of work up until the age of 28 far outweights anything DiCaprio or any of his peers accomplished before that age.

"He would've been the greatest actor of his and a couple of other generations as well." - Terry Gilliam

the bolded + The Aviator are all great movies but purely from an acting perspective nothing is ? with The Dark Knight or Brokeback

I see what your saying but Heath ledger would have been BIG if he lived after Batman but Leo has done more varied roles while still making that money at the box office , I dont see how ledger can be the finest actor of this generation if he has really only done two GREAT films, though i have not seen Broke back but again i hate those type of films.

Daniel Day Lewis was also someone who i think should be considered.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to ? up a Scorsese film, dude is a average actor to me. SMH at dudes ? acting and accent in Blood Diamonds.

Of All The ? Marty Can Work With It Still Boggles The Mind Why He Would Work With A Slightly Above Average Dude Like Di Caprio.....
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Of All The ? Marty Can Work With It Still Boggles The Mind Why He Would Work With A Slightly Above Average Dude Like Di Caprio.....

scorsese likes to work with one particular actor as his muse. first it was deniro. now it's di caprio. but i agree leo is slightly above average at best.

and it's hard to compare actors that started in the 60's to actors that started in the 80's or 90's as the same generation.

best actor alive: nicholson

best right now: sean penn, denzil, or daniel day lewis.

best young actor: ryan gosling
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and say Charlize as well. She's forgotten alot of the time but she's well above average in everything she does. North Country, In the Valley of Elah, and my personal favorite The Devil's Advocate where she plays a supposed schizophrenic. Even though people generally hated the movie, she played a Hodgkin's Lymphoma victim in Sweet November and she was great at it. It's not too many actors that take these kinds of roles consecutively. Plus how many actresses can play a White trash lesbian prostitute serial killer convincingly?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    c'mon now. u can't really just pick one. all of them are goat.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and say Charlize as well. She's forgotten alot of the time but she's well above average in everything she does. North Country, In the Valley of Elah, and my personal favorite The Devil's Advocate where she plays a supposed schizophrenic. Even though people generally hated the movie, she played a Hodgkin's Lymphoma victim in Sweet November and she was great at it. It's not too many actors that take these kinds of roles consecutively. Plus how many actresses can play a White trash lesbian prostitute serial killer convincingly?

damn i 4got about charlize. yeah i u gotta put her up there as well. hell angelina also. but i wud but charlize above angie still mainly b/c she goes all out when playin a character. that serial killer roll what made me give her respect.
  • destro1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    damn i 4got about charlize. yeah i u gotta put her up there as well. hell angelina also. but i wud but charlize above angie still mainly b/c she goes all out when playin a character. that serial killer roll what made me give her respect.

charlize?????? again praise because she stopped wearing make up and acted as a crazy woman!! i almost collapsed when i saw her name mentioned and Angelina jolie...dont get me started
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited September 2010
    Options
    scorsese likes to work with one particular actor as his muse. first it was deniro. now it's di caprio. but i agree leo is slightly above average at best.

and it's hard to compare actors that started in the 60's to actors that started in the 80's or 90's as the same generation.

best actor alive: nicholson

best right now: sean penn, denzil, or daniel day lewis.

best young actor: ryan gosling

For Some Reason I Cant Stand This Dude....Joseph Gordon Levitt >>>Ryan Gosling But Im Not To Fond Of Him Either...Half Nelson Was Overrated
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited September 2010
    Options
    For Some Reason I Cant Stand This Dude....Joseph Gordon Levitt >>>Ryan Gosling But Im Not To Fond Of Him Either...Half Nelson Was Overrated

i would have gordan-levitt slightly behind gosling (gl loses points w/ me for gi joe). and i gotta disagree about half nelson. his performance in that movie was easily one of the best that year.

i'm curious, if not Lervitt or Gosling who would you say is the best actor under 30? the only other person i can think of is emile hersh.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i would have gordan-levitt slightly behind gosling (gl loses points w/ me for gi joe). and i gotta disagree about half nelson. his performance in that movie was easily one of the best that year.

i'm curious, if not Lervitt or Gosling who would you say is the best actor under 30? the only other person i can think of is emile hersh.

Jake Gyllenhaal >>>>> Levitt, Gosling...Late The Hate Begin
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Denzel Washington!
    I have watched every Denzel movie and that dude is a true actor.
    He can change up for any role and he has done alot of good movies that get overlooked.
    Like "Cry Freedom", "Power", Mississippi Masala", "Philadelphia", "Courage Under Fire" and "Out Of Time"
    He has portrayed Steve Biko in "Cry Freedom", Malcolm X in "X", Rubin Carter in "Hurricane", Melvin B. Tolson in "The Great Debaters", Frank Lucas in "American Gangster" and Herman Boone in "Remember The Titans".
    He has had so many classics movies that it is crazy, you can tell he chooses his roles carefully and he puts his all into that role.
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What about Morgan Freeman?
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited October 2010
    Options
    t. webb wrote: »

this........
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited October 2010
    Options

He Plays The Old Black Sage In Every Movie....He Does It Very Well But Hes Lacking In The Versatility Dept
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

• destro1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Im wondering what is the criteria for this actually thread..Cause Morgan Freeman is great but then he has made ALOT of duds...same as most when it comes to a long film career.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    destro1 wrote: »
    Im wondering what is the criteria for this actually thread..Cause Morgan Freeman is great but then he has made ALOT of duds...same as most when it comes to a long film career.

That's true, I can't watch every movie Morgan Freeman makes because it's a hit and miss.
    He'll have a good movie, then turn around and have a wack movie right behind it.
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited October 2010
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    That's true, I can't watch every movie Morgan Freeman makes because it's a hit and miss.
    He'll have a good movie, then turn around and have a wack movie right behind it.

but if u put tom cruise n will smith on that list i would assume morgan freeman shouldve been also
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yall ? sleeping on 50 cent.
  • destro1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    but if u put tom cruise n will smith on that list i would assume morgan freeman shouldve been also

No doubt Morgan should be on the list, love that scene in GLORY when he smacks Denzel Washington for saying the line " YOU AINT NUTIN BUT THE WHITE MANS DOG " LOL
  • CaseyAsh
    CaseyAsh Members Posts: 26
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i think leo da caprio deff make the viewer feel through the screen, hes the best actor of the above imo, tom hanks second, green mile, one of my fav movies.