Options
Malice Intended
Malice Intended Members Posts: 50
edited January 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
http://planetill.com/2010/01/planet-ill-breakdown-lyfe-jennings-busy/
Planet Ill Breakdown: Lyfe Jennings-Busy

ljennings-300x298.jpg

By shelz.

The last time I heard about Lyfe Jennings he was kicking in doors and leading the cops on low speed chases around the perimeter of Atlanta. However, a year or so out of the spotlight to get his mind and his music right seems to have served the raspy voiced singer well. He’s prepping for his fourth and final album, I Still Believe which he says will be his best. It’s a swansong of sorts so he can evolve into the next chapter of his life as dedicated father, club owner and children’s book author. Yes, you read that right.

The paths people’s lives take are always a bit murky right until they get to the fork in the road. Mr. Jennings’ decision to retire from the studio may upset a few of his fans, but at least he’s leaving a lil something to remember him by. First up is the single “Busy.”

It’s a plea for attention; a one man dialogue with the answering machine of the woman he longs to talk to and be with. He considers the fact that she may just be blowing him off, passive-aggressive style and that doesn’t sit well with him as he explains, “If you don’t want to be here, let me know. If you don’t really love me, let me go.”

I know the roles of men and women have changed drastically in the past 20 years or so as women have taken more active positions in the stereotypical male domains. However, the lyrical fare of this song takes the concept of the sensitive male a bit far. He talks about not getting in her way, not complaining and her treating him like he’s stupid; all comments that would translate a bit too well to a female singer. The chorus especially sounds like whining in the key of c minor. (Okay, I really don’t know keys. So just allow for a little literary license.)

Visit us at Planet Ill to read the rest: http://planetill.com/2010/01/planet-ill-breakdown-lyfe-jennings-busy/