Worst Injury You've Gotten Working Out?

Options
headrek1
headrek1 Members Posts: 121
edited September 2010 in The Weight Room
I remember for about 3 or 4 months, my shoudler just wasn't acting right, my favorite exercise is the bench, and I guess I was over doing it at one point. My right shoulder just started clicking after a while if I would move it a certain way. I never got it diagnosed, and this was 3 or 4 years ago, thankfully it hasn't come back. But I can't remember if I couldn't get any push out of my shoulder or it just hurt so much where I didn't want to bench, but that ? lasted at least 3 months. This coming from a ? who was still lifting after I severed a finger at work, lol.

Comments

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i dislocated my shoulder lifting; but it was so slight i didn't notice and thought my should sore for 9 months...so i'm playing in a basket ball tournament and i bump should with somebody and it ? comes out the socket....i told the doc what happened and that it has been sore for some months and he said it was already dislocated and by me continuing to workout though the soreness probably kept it from popping out earlier
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    haven't trained long but I hurt my back deadlifting for the first time...lol poor form is usually the culprit...
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    headrek1 wrote: »
    I remember for about 3 or 4 months, my shoudler just wasn't acting right, my favorite exercise is the bench, and I guess I was over doing it at one point. My right shoulder just started clicking after a while if I would move it a certain way. I never got it diagnosed, and this was 3 or 4 years ago, thankfully it hasn't come back. But I can't remember if I couldn't get any push out of my shoulder or it just hurt so much where I didn't want to bench, but that ? lasted at least 3 months. This coming from a ? who was still lifting after I severed a finger at work, lol.

I had this same problem from doing push-ups..............I had to stop doing push-ups for like 2 months to make that ? stop clicking SMH

Ironically the clicking came back, but I dislocated my shoulder one day and the clicking hasn't returned ever since
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Nothing too serious, just shin spints & knee issues.
  • D.A.S.H.
    D.A.S.H. Members Posts: 11
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Costochondritis (sp?)
    Basically some cartilage in my chest got pinched between my rib cage.

Hurt like hell to laugh or cough.
    Being the fool I am, the pain would make me laugh so there was an endless loop of pain.

Doctor gave me Motrin. lasted about a month
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Back in January 2006, I pulled a muscle in my left thigh(working out too much, combined with not stretching before or after doing leg exercises). Lasted 2 weeks and it was painful. Every little move I made, I felt it.
  • babel
    babel Members Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Tore something in my shoulder trying to do seated overhead bar presses. The bar was positioned back far enough that someone should be handing it to you but I tried to take it off myself ad all I heard was the tearing noise. Months of pain after that.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    royally ? up my lower back a few years ago. Only my second day doing a 425lb leg press on a sled, first push was good, second... good, then on the third one my butt slipped down and forward a tiny little bit in the seat as I pushed the weight back up, the fourth one coming back down is where I felt something like massive pressure and a little pain on the lower spine. Lock the bar, re-adjust in the seat, try it again but I shifted in the seat again and this time I felt a hell of a lot of pain on the way down. I could barely walk for about a week.
  • headrek1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    @ Koncept, damn spine injuries ain't no joke my dude. @ the rest of y'all who had my shoulder injury, how did you know it was dislocated (I mean asied from doing the smart thing and getting it checked out), I never dislocated an arm before (obviosuly that I know of), but if it was dislocated wouldn't it not have been able to move? Knock on wood, I hope that's all it was with me.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    @ Koncept, damn spine injuries ain't no joke my dude. @ the rest of y'all who had my shoulder injury, how did you know it was dislocated (I mean asied from doing the smart thing and getting it checked out), I never dislocated an arm before (obviosuly that I know of), but if it was dislocated wouldn't it not have been able to move? Knock on wood, I hope that's all it was with me.

my ? was dislocated from a me falling into a tree during an Airborne jump back when I was in the Army

I broke my leg too, so I was in way too much pain to notice my arm was dislocated

that ? hurt like when you hit your funny bone in your elbow: that extremely numbing pain that kind of hurts but not really

heard there are plenty of people who've dislocated their shoulder several times and the pain is less each time they do it
  • GTariq
    GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Lower back doing a set of 405 on the squat in high school, felt it for a couple of days. It happened after I finished the set and took the waist belt off.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I pulled a muscle right behind my neck doing shoulder presses. That ? was sore for like two days and then it went away. It happen to me twice. I also ? my lower back up doing deadlifts. That took like 2 months to heal.
  • Black Cat
    Black Cat Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I broke my ankle while playing tennis in high school. I had to be on cast for three weeks.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options

Think you might have tore your rotator cuff, which is what has just happened to me. I'm guessing you have pain doing shoulder and chest workouts? Flys (especilly pec flys), pullovers, crossovers aggravte it most?
  • headrek1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Think you might have tore your rotator cuff, which is what has just happened to me. I'm guessing you have pain doing shoulder and chest workouts? Flys (especilly pec flys), pullovers, crossovers aggravte it most?

I thought I might have too, but my ? healed in 3 months or so, think thats too quick to be a rotator cuff. Keep in mind this injury was like 4 years ago. Ever since then I've had absolutely no problem doing anything, hope it stays that way.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Tore my left ACL back in 2000. Bad thing about it was that it happened in front of a ton of girls who were checking out our game. I tried to beat this dude on a lay-up, came down, heard and felt a pop and got the worst jolt of pain ever afterwards. I tried to walk that ? off, but I was in pain like crazy. I was all ? up and had these chics CTFU @ me at first. Then I got tons of sympathy once they realized I was really hurt. Took me like 6 months before I could even trot on a treadmill.

Worst yet, I discovered that I had torn my meniscus (spelling???) in the same knee last year. I think I did it during training @ work in 2008...which means that I probably was walking/running around with my ? all tore up for about a year.

The pain from the meniscus surgery was so-so. But the pain from a full blown ACL surgery is the WOAT...trust me! And we're not even gonna talk about the rehab pain I had to endure...
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I thought I might have too, but my ? healed in 3 months or so, think thats too quick to be a rotator cuff. Keep in mind this injury was like 4 years ago. Ever since then I've had absolutely no problem doing anything, hope it stays that way.

That's how long I've been told to lay off of working it.
  • headrek1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    That's how long I've been told to lay off of working it.

Hmmm...... in that case maybe I did injure it, who knows? I'm glad that ? didn't have any lasting effetcs (that I know of). I just thought that when you injure your rotator cuff that ,that was something serious that never actually healed, like you gotta get tommy john's surgery and ? , but I guess that's only if you tear it.
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Hmmm...... in that case maybe I did injure it, who knows? I'm glad that ? didn't have any lasting effetcs (that I know of). I just thought that when you injure your rotator cuff that ,that was something serious that never actually healed, like you gotta get tommy john's surgery and ? , but I guess that's only if you tear it.

Nah, that's only in extreme cases or in people that have prolonged trouble or trouble healing. All you need to do is ice it and take anti-inflammatory pills to ease the pain and ? the inflammation. My therapist also gave me some exercises to do that helped with the pain.