FoxNews.com runs "Obama listens to Gangsta Rap, OMFG BE AFRAID WHITE PEOPLE!!!" story

Options

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    winning in life >>>> winning in a rap battle
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol the Reason is spreading... I know the Pres gotta listen to Ross, I'm sure the Pres says BOOM when he smashes the wife or seals a positive deal
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Wrong son. In battles it not just about what you say but how you say it. If my rhymes were superior, then I win. Simple as that. Hip Hop 102. You ? been watching too much 8 mile and think battling is about insults and personals. Thats a part of it, but the main part is who spit the nicest rhyme.

Nobody hates Jay Z that is childish. I like Jay personally, it's just he got melted by Nasir Jones on the mic.

And Ether sounds way better in a sound system than that slowed down Doors beat.

As a rapper who's participated in battles the main focal point of a battle is to drop the hottest punchlines. The whole point of a battle is to see who can berate their opponent the most. Jay Z did that when he said he left condoms on the babyseat. You sound like you living in the 80's. Where lyricality did indeed have a more important role, but still, the main idea of the battle was to disrespect and insult your opponent the hardest. You can come spitting that nasir, lupe ? in a battle if you want to. The dude who got the crowd laughing at you is gonna win everytime. And we'll have to agree to disagree because the Takeover beat is riddidic compared to the Ether beat.
  • Helen H.
    Helen H. Members Posts: 173
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol @ this thread turning into a discussion about the Jay & Nas beef.

Almost ten years later, I still feel that Ether > Takeover. Although in Takeover I like the "Rocafella is the army/better yet the navy/? 'll kidnap ya baby/spit at ya lady" part. it's disrespectful but I stay rewinding that line.

it's good to know that Obama has wide ranging music tastes.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    winning the crowd is not as easy as just dissing your opponent, thus todays battle scene is ? .

If you dropping witty/funny/personal punchlines you will win the crowd easily
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Most overrated great rapper of all time. Nobody was calling him the goat when he was alive. He was dope. But he was one dimensional. He proved it when he was on stage with Big, Kane and Shyhiem. He was out of his lane.

That's funny being as though big, nas, junior mafia, and jay all WISHED they were Pac. And how dare you mention Shyhiem with PAC. lmao.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Managin walking down the white house always and hearing the takeover or ether playin and the prez talkin about we gonna go in on iran or north korea ? is epic
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    New Rolling Stone interview with Obama:

What music have you been listening to lately? What have you discovered, what speaks to you these days?

My iPod now has about 2,000 songs, and it is a source of great pleasure to me. I am probably still more heavily weighted toward the music of my childhood than I am the new stuff. There's still a lot of Stevie Wonder, a lot of Bob Dylan, a lot of Rolling Stones, a lot of R&B, a lot of Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Those are the old standards.

A lot of classical music. I'm not a big opera buff in terms of going to opera, but there are days where Maria Callas is exactly what I need.

Thanks to Reggie [Love, the president's personal aide], my rap palate has greatly improved. Jay-Z used to be sort of what predominated, but now I've got a little Nas and a little Lil Wayne and some other stuff, but I would not claim to be an expert Malia and Sasha are now getting old enough to where they start hipping me to things. Music is still a great source of joy and occasional solace in the midst of what can be some difficult days.

So of course.....

foxnation.jpg

Now, a normal person would read the above and conclude that our President has varied and eclectic musical tastes, of which rap is but a part. Furthermore, even as a middle-aged white guy, I'm well aware that the term "rap" covers a lot of ground, and cannot be easily categorized.

But this is Fox we're talking about, and if nothing else, they know their audience. Immediately underneath the quote, there follows a couple of YouTube clips of rappers Lil Wayne and Nas, and it doesn't take the Fox denizens in the comments long to get the message:
    "These are the guys whom you will see at the November polling places."
    Looks like all that ooga-booga about The New Black Panthers wasn't in vain. Mission accomplished.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/9/28/906155/-New-NBC-WallStreet-Journal-Poll:-Good-News-for-Democrats

Fox deleted the news story later.

lol @ Obama sending Styles P & Beanie Sigel to polling places to ? up Tea Party voters

lol @ Obama saying "some other stuff" to hide his love for B.M.F

wtf @ Rethuglicans not resorting to this the first time he said he owned a copy of American Gangster

:tu @ Obama bumping Distant Relatives

LOL @ Gambino working the Fox News cameras....
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    I used to think Ether was better than Take Over, but in hindsight...Take Over is a much better song.
    i may agree with you to the extent that Takeover is more replayable
    Most overrated great rapper of all time.
    so this is absolutely true
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    I'm sure the Pres says BOOM when he smashes the wife or seals a positive deal

lol I was looking for that Gif that is out there of Denzel Washington in Training Day when he said "BOOM". lol

...just imagine it :-/
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Helen H. wrote: »
    lol @ this thread turning into a discussion about the Jay & Nas beef.

Almost ten years later, I still feel that Ether > Takeover. Although in Takeover I like the "Rocafella is the army/better yet the navy/? 'll kidnap ya baby/spit at ya lady" part. it's disrespectful but I stay rewinding that line.

it's good to know that Obama has wide ranging music tastes.

damn.....says alot about a rapper when all his best lines are re-worded / bitten lyrics from other rappers
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    As a rapper who's participated in battles the main focal point of a battle is to drop the hottest punchlines. The whole point of a battle is to see who can berate their opponent the most. Jay Z did that when he said he left condoms on the babyseat. You sound like you living in the 80's. Where lyricality did indeed have a more important role, but still, the main idea of the battle was to disrespect and insult your opponent the hardest. You can come spitting that nasir, lupe ? in a battle if you want to. The dude who got the crowd laughing at you is gonna win everytime. And we'll have to agree to disagree because the Takeover beat is riddidic compared to the Ether beat.

No it is not. Punchline, flow, delivery, creativity all encompass a winning battle. You could drop a nice punchline but if your delivery is wiggedy, the crowd won't feel you.

Im not living in the 80's I just have seen real battles. Insults were a part of battling ever since the beginning but it wasnt the only part. Dudes would get creative, switch the style up in the middle of the verse, recall current events. You dudes now all you do is drop insults with no flow. That ? you call battling is trash. ? 's talking their rhymes like they having a conversation. And this still goes on.

This ? started with Eminem, who ironically is arguably the illest battle rapper ever. Cats seen 8 mile and think that insults are all there is to it.

And in the future, you might not want to come onto a hip hop site and say ? like "As a rapper who's participated in battles" like thats supposed to be impressive when most the dudes on here have battled or dropped rhymes in their life.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That's funny being as though big, nas, junior mafia, and jay all WISHED they were Pac. And how dare you mention Shyhiem with PAC. lmao.

Ha. You know when PAc was living they said he wanted to Be Cube, Brother J, Scarface, etc. he was all over the place before his thug persona.

Junior Mafia right now would wish they were Ying Yang twins.

And yes, Shyhiem outshined him that day. He was clearly out of his element. Screaming"I thank the lord for my many blessings...Thug life mother....sorry O, he came in dead last. Plus he dropped to many ? in his rhymes, every other line to fill in some space. All you have to do is listen to Unbelievable to see that Biggie Smalls was the illest.

PAC was the dopest in crafting a melodramatic heart felt song, but on a pure MC level with the whole package. BIG was about as close to complete as we got. Well and KRS, of course.......and the DOC before the accident.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    damn.....says alot about a rapper when all his best lines are re-worded / bitten lyrics from other rappers

LOL. Right. When you do a Jay Z quotable you got to put an asterisk and call your lawyer to make sure your clear.

Jay is dope though, can't front.
  • oliverlang
    edited September 2010
    Options
    BIG was about as close to complete as we got. Well and KRS, of course.......and the DOC before the accident.

You're trippin'...BIG was not a complete emcee. He rapped about the same things in every verse.
  • oliverlang
    edited September 2010
    Options
    LOL. Right. When you do a Jay Z quotable you got to put an asterisk and call your lawyer to make sure your clear.

This is funny, but not true.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    lol I was looking for that Gif that is out there of Denzel Washington in Training Day when he said "BOOM". lol

...just imagine it :-/

lmao!!! That gif would go a long way
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're trippin'...BIG was not a complete emcee. He rapped about the same things in every verse.

cosign

And Step, Pac the GOAT then NAs
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    winning in life >>>> winning in a rap battle

co-sign

got to give it up for NaS

Dude makes the music he wants to make without kissing the masses ass, his spot as one of the top 5 greats of all time is pretty much sealed,
    respect from his peers and legends

and most importantly he has a son and daughter that will carry on his family name and legacy.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options

Well yeah...but so did Pac... Before I knew his name I thought his name was "Thug Life mother ? ".

I mean complete in terms of said ability. Not subject matter. That would have been KRS hands down.

Big had flow, lyrics, style, and he could bust a rappers ass on the battle tip.

Exhibit A

ill flow, impeccable rhythm, ill lyrics. Sorry Pac, Sorry.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    cosign

And Step, Pac the GOAT then NAs

You my dude, MK, but uh, the sun has never set on the day Tupac Shakur was an iller MC than Nasir Jones. Pac was the rarity, he improved every year, but Nas was better than 99% of the cats to ever grip a Mic before he ever signed a deal. And he got better.

Top 10 to ever wield a MIC Not in any particular order.

KRS
    NAS
    RAKIM
    CUBE
    SLICK RICK
    BIG
    KANE
    EMINEM
    PAC
    SCARFACE

Honorable Mention: JAY, TREACH, PUBA, RHYMEFEST, TIP, BUN B, KOOL G( TOP 10'ER), DRES, DOC, VANILLA ICE, CHUBB ROCK, CHUCK D, LL(YES, ? before the sexy, flexy stuff he was the first GOAT), Melle Mel(ahead of his time)
    Every other list is inferior.
  • oliverlang
    edited September 2010
    Options

KRS yes
    NAS yes
    RAKIM yes
    CUBE good, but not great = no
    SLICK RICK one classic album, the rest were okay
    BIG no...not versatile enough, one great album...the rest...meh
    KANE yes
    EMINEM sometimesy...talks about the same lame ?
    PAC most definitely
    SCARFACE yes
    Jay yes
    TREACH nah
    PUBA one good solo album, one classic Brand Nubian album, and a some great BN albums
    RHYMEFEST no way, he has done nothing to prove himself
    TIP he was good, and hurts me to say this because he used to be one of my favorites...but...close but no cigar Q Tip
    BUN B no
    KOOL G yes
    DRES no...one classic album does not equal the a goat status
    DOC no, but maybe he could have been
    VANILLA ICE lol
    CHUBB ROCK no
    CHUCK D yes
    LL no
    Melle Mel yes

Who I would add to this list is Posdnuos aka Plug One and GZA and Andre 3000...
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You my dude, MK, but uh, the sun has never set on the day Tupac Shakur was an iller MC than Nasir Jones. Pac was the rarity, he improved every year, but Nas was better than 99% of the cats to ever grip a Mic before he ever signed a deal. And he got better.

Top 10 to ever wield a MIC Not in any particular order.

KRS top 5
    NAS top 2
    RAKIM top 5
    CUBE top 5
    SLICK RICK top 20
    BIG top 25
    KANE top 17
    EMINEM top 25 to 30
    PAC #1
    SCARFACE top 10

Honorable Mention: JAY, TREACH, PUBA, RHYMEFEST, TIP, BUN B, KOOL G( TOP 10'ER), DRES, DOC, VANILLA ICE, CHUBB ROCK, CHUCK D, LL(YES, ? before the sexy, flexy stuff he was the first GOAT), Melle Mel(ahead of his time)
    Every other list is inferior.

i sense some east coast bias here. bun b NO, rhymefest NO! LL is a LEGEND, doc top 20,puba top 30, Dress 1 album

Where's AZ, Busta, RASS KASS top 15,Dre 300, MC Ren, Rae and Ghost? and JAY Electronica and Lupe will be top 10 when its all said and done.
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i sense some east coast bias here. bun b NO, rhymefest NO! LL is a LEGEND, doc top 20,puba top 30, Dress 1 album

Where's AZ, Busta, RASS KASS top 15,Dre 300, MC Ren, Rae and Ghost? and JAY Electronica and Lupe will be top 10 when its all said and done.

Must be something to the East Coast bias thing. My partner says the same thing. I think it is because for so long there was a continental step your rap game up in every place except the East with a few exceptions.

AZ, Rass Kass, Ghost sound the same on every song. Dre belongs so does Big Boi and Black Thought. Don't feel Lupe. Now Jay Electronica, that dude is the only reason I haven't given up on the new stuff. Question why does Rass Kass sound like he doesn't listen to the beat when he rhymes?
  • And Step
    edited September 2010
    Options

KRS yes
    NAS yes
    RAKIM yes
    CUBE good, but not great = no
    SLICK RICK one classic album, the rest were okay
    BIG no...not versatile enough, one great album...the rest...meh
    KANE yes
    EMINEM sometimesy...talks about the same lame ?
    PAC most definitely
    SCARFACE yes
    Jay yes
    TREACH nah
    PUBA one good solo album, one classic Brand Nubian album, and a some great BN albums
    RHYMEFEST no way, he has done nothing to prove himself
    TIP he was good, and hurts me to say this because he used to be one of my favorites...but...close but no cigar Q Tip
    BUN B no
    KOOL G yes
    DRES no...one classic album does not equal the a goat status
    DOC no, but maybe he could have been
    VANILLA ICE lol
    CHUBB ROCK no
    CHUCK D yes
    LL no
    Melle Mel yes

Who I would add to this list is Posdnuos aka Plug One and GZA and Andre 3000...
    LL is the first goat sorry.

Pos is dope. But, Cmon son Slick Rick is goat status for the simple fact he so creative and his style has been bitten by a who's who od MC's. Ghostface, Redman, Nas, Biting ass Jay Z, Snoop, Big , Dres, etc.

A dope MC is a dope MC regardless to albums released.