Tips & tricks thread

Options
2»

Comments

• drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited March 2010
    Options
    oh yea, it's the Trash Bin folder (C:Program Files/FL Studio 9/Trash Bin/Backup), the file is called Backup and it only saves the last project you were working on before closing (or crashing).

Note in folder:
    "When you overwrite a song file, the previous one is not really overwritten, instead it's placed here as a backup, so that in case you made a mistake your project is not lost."

guess it's a good backup plan for when you ? up and save a new file over an old one unintentionally.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    drematic wrote: »
    oh yea, it's the Trash Bin folder (C:Program Files/FL Studio 9/Trash Bin/Backup), the file is called Backup and it only saves the last project you were working on before closing (or crashing).

Note in folder:
    "When you overwrite a song file, the previous one is not really overwritten, instead it's placed here as a backup, so that in case you made a mistake your project is not lost."

guess it's a good backup plan for when you ? up and save over a new file over an old one unintentionally.
    found it - this might come in handy
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    good drop Rev. Grodd
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    imho, the two most crucial things...

1) SAVE EVERY BEAT YOU EVER MAKE

2) BACKUP YOUR ?

Trill post
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    uuuuuupppppppinnnnnng it.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Note in folder:

guess it's a good backup plan for when you ? up and save a new file over an old one unintentionally.

damn, I never even knew that ? , mad props
  • hastings hustle
    hastings hustle Members Posts: 49
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i'ma try to keep it simple...
    open a new project in FL Studio
    click on Channels in the toolbar>Add One>ReWired
    click on the ReWired channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, change Client to Reason & switch on Multi Outputs below that
    click on Show Panel and Reason will open
    there will be two warning boxes, just click OK on both
    the Hardware Device in Reason should say ReWire Slave Mode
    hit the Tab button and add an instrument from the Tool Window (i.e. NN19, NN-XT, Malstrom, etc)
    leave Audio Outs 1 & 2 on the Hardware Device free (disconnect any instruments)
    connect the Mono/Left Audio Output from your added instrument to Audio Out 3 on the Hardware Device
    (as you add instruments connect them to the Hardware Device in sequential order starting with #3)
    back in FL Studio, click on Channels in the toolbar>Add One>MIDI Out
    click on the MIDI out channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, change Channel to 2 and Port to 1
    click on the ReWired channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, click on MIDI Options
    the Channels list on the right shows your added instruments (Hardware Interface should be first, followed by your instruments)*
    the Mappings list on the left is where you will add Map ports
    below this list you will change Map to Input and port to 1, click on Add/Change
    repeat this process for as many instruments as you will add in Reason, increasing the port # of course for each one
    create/insert/add a MIDI out channel in the FL step sequencer for every instrument you add in Reason
    the channel setting for each MIDI out channel in the step seq should correspond with the # of the instr in the MIDI Options channel list*

I need to get my hands on FL studio looks like this could do some damagae
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what about microphones
    condenser/digital etc

which are the best ones to eliminate background noise

and if you don't have a sound-proof booth what's the best way to eliminate that air sound
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited April 2010
    Options
    also does anyobdy know where I can dowload a wave program

I was using Wave Pad Sound Editor but it was only a trial

? was aiight tho

I liked the way it was formatted
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what about microphones
    condenser/digital etc

which are the best ones to eliminate background noise

and if you don't have a sound-proof booth what's the best way to eliminate that air sound

Condenser Mic's for vocals. I personally like the Shure KSM 44 or the AT 4033. Both got a reasonable price and sound damn good.

Put the mic in the Cardiod pattern, (not the full circle, the half circle) so that the Mic only picks up sound from the front. If you dont have a sound proof booth I would say the best way is to probably get some foam or somethin and put on your wall to dead the room. Try to put your mic in a corner or a room somewhere away from the equipment (computers, etc.) because they give off noise that is damn near impossible to filter out.

If you have one, use a noise reduction tool, its just like a surgical eq that cuts out extraneous noise and ? . I know Pro Tools got one, IDK about the other programs. Because I swear, I'm workin with my cousin on his album, that ? records in his closet, and I be bout to lose my damn mind at the noise in the acapella.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Condenser Mic's for vocals. I personally like the Shure KSM 44 or the AT 4033. Both got a reasonable price and sound damn good.

Put the mic in the Cardiod pattern, (not the full circle, the half circle) so that the Mic only picks up sound from the front. If you dont have a sound proof booth I would say the best way is to probably get some foam or somethin and put on your wall to dead the room. Try to put your mic in a corner or a room somewhere away from the equipment (computers, etc.) because they give off noise that is damn near impossible to filter out.

If you have one, use a noise reduction tool, its just like a surgical eq that cuts out extraneous noise and ? . I know Pro Tools got one, IDK about the other programs. Because I swear, I'm workin with my cousin on his album, that ? records in his closet, and I be bout to lose my damn mind at the noise in the acapella.

yeah I been messing with the noise reduction feature
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you can always try a reflection filter to eliminate some of that sound...
  • malkimeansking
    malkimeansking Members Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    Options
    save your beats sometimes you come back to them and they are dope
  • Aime Antonio
    Aime Antonio Members Posts: 85
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have this prob but if ur buffer is at 1024 ur ? gonna go off.. Go to the lowest buffer to get it to land on the grid right

Ummm ? , I usually record midi ? in pro tools to an audio track, but even then the ? dont quantize like I want it to. I like for ? to be right on the grid.

So i just ? wit reason right now until I can get in a studio with all the protools ? set up. We just got one funky ass motif rack, and a midi controller. Thats about it. No MPC, no other synths, just that and imagination.

But uhh yeah, Try starting off beats with different parts. I usually always start with a melody, then hats, drums, then chords, then add lil extra ? . U might make your ideas better if you start with chords, or if you start with the drums.

I dont sample tho, I wanna try that ? just to ? around. Any tips on that?

Aww yeah I know a lot about synthesizers too so any questions on what all the knobs do on them just ask
  • Dubb Spot Records
    Dubb Spot Records Members Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    Options
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What up Grundy! I ain't know you produced. Slide a ? a beat or two through ma ? ? . I'ma sticky this 'cause this thread will come in handy for a lot of people.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited February 2011
    Options
    uppin cuz this thread can be useful

in terms of vocal mixing
    what are the most crucial effects to use and generally, in what order
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    uppin cuz this thread can be useful

in terms of vocal mixing
    what are the most crucial effects to use and generally, in what order

For me, I would say compression. And a slight eq. Cutting out low frequencies and giving a small boost in the mid/high range can make the vocal stand out. But don't over do it, because you want the beat to be heard as well.

Once you get a good blend, you could try a reverb in a small room, unless the beat calls for it. If its a slow, dramatic type beat, you may wanna make the room bigger. If its a party type song you may not need it. For adlibs and doubled vocals try panning and rolling off the lows and highs to get that "phone" effect. Use a delay if you want but make sure its subtle. In a lot of rap sings I hear these are usually the effects u hear.

Distortion and phaser with automation can also give you a unique sound.

The order I would go, is EQ, Compression, then make an aux track or bus the vocal to another track for time based effects. And don't put a million effects on one vocal to make it sound good. If you have to do that you may as well re record
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited February 2011
    Options
    For me, I would say compression. And a slight eq. Cutting out low frequencies and giving a small boost in the mid/high range can make the vocal stand out. But don't over do it, because you want the beat to be heard as well.

Once you get a good blend, you could try a reverb in a small room, unless the beat calls for it. If its a slow, dramatic type beat, you may wanna make the room bigger. If its a party type song you may not need it. For adlibs and doubled vocals try panning and rolling off the lows and highs to get that "phone" effect. Use a delay if you want but make sure its subtle. In a lot of rap sings I hear these are usually the effects u hear.

Distortion and phaser with automation can also give you a unique sound.

The order I would go, is EQ, Compression, then make an aux track or bus the vocal to another track for time based effects. And don't put a million effects on one vocal to make it sound good. If you have to do that you may as well re record

I cosign this absolutely.

And to add, record your vocals low but not too low and then use the "normalize gain" to increase better volume.

You dont want to record them loud, risking distortion.

And deflinitely pan every track so that everything is not fighting for that middle position.