Hot, Cold, Lukewarm

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
This is spoken of in the bible, does anyone know what Jesus is speaking of?

(I already know, I'm just curious to others thoughts.)

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My thinking was it was always about his believers. Hot meaning those who are definitely followers of him, lukewarm meaning they claim Christian but don't devote their life to him and still do sinful things, and cold meaning people like me.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I haven't done my homework, but first guess would be that if you believe in something, it is either for or against something; hot for something or cold for something. There is no in between or a place for "lukewarm-ness" in what you believe.
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well I thought it had to do with your faith as well, come to find out it doesn't. I'll drop later on what it's "really" about. Interesting too..
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Jesus was referring the the natural cold and hot springs which was from certain parts of the Roman empire and was transferred by aqueducts.

This hot/cold water was highly desired (I would presume cold for drinking and hot for bathing) over lukewarm water which lacked any definition or temperature purity. Lukewarm water has been conformed to it's surroundings.

Hot / Cold does not equate to extremely good or extremely evil as some people misrepresent it to mean. Jesus would never tell a church he wish they were extremely evil.
    12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you, always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of ? . 13 For I bear him witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis.

16 And when this letter has been read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you also read the letter from Laodicea. Colossians 4:12-13, 16 ESV
    The two neighbors of Laodicea were Colosse and Hierapolis.

Hierapolis and Laodicea stood six miles apart on opposite sides of a valley with the Lycus River flowing between them. Colosse was a few miles up river, on the same side as Laodicea.

Laodicea was the financial center of this area, being very wealthy. The land was very fertile and they had many flocks of sheep in the fields. Because of the many sheep, this area was known for its wool industry. As wealthy as this city was, there were most dependent on outside cities for water. This led them to pipe water in by aqueduct from Hierapolis for the hot water, and Colosse, which was known to have cold springs.

Hierapolis was known for its hot springs. People would travel to bathe in the water and drink it as they believed it had medicinal benefits.

By the time water was piped into Laodicea from Hierapolis, it was tepid and nauseous. If you were to take a drink of tepid, nauseous water, I am sure you'd spew it out as well. I know I would.

I believe that Jesus was referring more to the faithfulness of the churches in Colosse (which had a serious issue with Gnosticism at one point, but remained faithful) and Hierapolis. I don't believe it had anything to do with being either hot for ? or cold for ? . Why would He ever wish for one to be cold for Him?