Nintendo 3DS price released...WTF?!

Options
the1nonlyruru
the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in IllGaming
according to IGN the price has been revealed...in yen. the price: 25,000 yen which roughly translates to $298 USD

word?

i was geeked as hell for the 3ds i was like i don't care about the specs i know its gonna be tight some tech blogs have stated its the most impressive tech gadget they've ever seen...

...then the price was revealed

sorry nintendo i love the company and the games it makes but im gonna have to pass on this. my max i was gonna go on this was $200.

your thoughts?

Comments

• EmandWeezy=Goats
    EmandWeezy=Goats Members Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol. thats crazy for a hand held.
  • JackAssInTheBox
    JackAssInTheBox Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    according to IGN the price has been revealed...in yen. the price: 25,000 yen which roughly translates to $298 USD

word?

i was geeked as hell for the 3ds i was like i don't care about the specs i know its gonna be tight some tech blogs have stated its the most impressive tech gadget they've ever seen...

...then the price was revealed

sorry nintendo i love the company and the games it makes but im gonna have to pass on this. my max i was gonna go on this was $200.

your thoughts?

GTFOH!...I wasnt gonna cop that ? but wtf. ? i bet there will be a wave a bodies being caught for this ? . Better hope you dont get caught slippin.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    lol I wouldnt pay 50 bucks for that ?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The hell? You can get a brand-new 160 gig PS3 for less than that. Them ? are trippin.....
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    *sighs*

The yen is stronger than the US dollar. You can't just convert the price equally like that and say "oh, well...if its 25,000 yen in Japan then its going to be $300 in the U.S".

The previous DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL) were always priced $30 - $70 higher in Japan and Austraila versus the U.S and Europe. Inflation kind of plays a roll as well. The original DS that launched in 2004 for $149.99 would be $172.99 in 2010.

So, based on all that and looking at history, the new 3DS should come in around $229.00 - $250.00 tops.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    *sighs*

The yen is stronger than the US dollar. You can't just convert the price equally like that and say "oh, well...if its 25,000 yen in Japan then its going to be $300 in the U.S".

The previous DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL) were always priced $30 - $70 higher in Japan and Austraila versus the U.S and Europe. Inflation kind of plays a roll as well. The original DS that launched in 2004 for $149.99 would be $172.99 in 2010.

So, based on all that and looking at history, the new 3DS should come in around $229.00 - $250.00 tops.

Exactly. This is just what the price in yen converts to in US Dollars. The US market will have its own price and not a direct conversion.

The JPY is stable and the USD is not. When the US Dollar was stable before the recession the rate used to be US$ 1 = JPY 118.00, now its US$ 1 = JPY 85.00.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Exactly. This is just what the price in yen converts to in US Dollars. The US market will have its own price and not a direct conversion.

The JPY is stable and the USD is not. When the US Dollar was stable before the recession the rate used to be US$ 1 = JPY 118.00, now its US$ 1 = JPY 85.00.

Yup, and $229.99 - $250.00 would be very reasonable. The PSP launched at $250 in the US six years ago and it doesn't even compare to the 3DS' list of features .
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    they'll lower the price after xmas