SMH...Lebron says "racism" is behind the backlash from "The Decision"

Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
Can't this ? just accept he ? up in how it was handled

appearing on CNN, with his marketing director Maverick Carter and host Soledad O'Brien....and john2009, you can rest easy b/c they aren't all doing interviews together like you suggested. that post is now one of the many "dumb things people say in cheapseats' because it was proven to be false.

anyway

O’BRIEN (voice-over): James entered the NBA as an 18-year-old. Two years later, he fired his agents and then put Carter, a 22-year- old college dropout, in charge of his $135 million worth of endorsement deals.

(on camera): How old were you?

CARTER: I was 22.

O’BRIEN: And you are the guy in charge of the most important valuable athlete maybe in the world?

CARTER: But I wasn’t alone. And if I would have been stupid enough to think for one second that I could do this all by myself all alone, absolutely, I would have been over my head. Everyone knows the concept, right, of LeBron pitching to the kids, it’s really cool –

CARTER: It’s just about control and not doing it the way it’s always been done or not looking the way that it always looks.

O’BRIEN (on camera): Do you think there’s a role that race plays in this.

JAMES: I think so at times. It’s always, you know, a race factor.

CARTER: It definitely played a role in some of the stuff coming out of the media, things that were written for sure.

O’BRIEN (voice-over): LeBron James and Maverick Carter say what does bother them is that lost amid the controversy is the fact that “The Decision” TV program raised $3 million for Boys & Girls Club of America.

CARTER: We own the advertising time. We went out and sold it to brands and we took every dime and donated it to charity.

JAMES: For me to have an opportunity to give back to the Boys & Girls Club of America, that I would never change that. And if I have to take heat to give back to kids, I would do it the same way every single time.

O’BRIEN (on camera): If you look at polls, there was some poll that said he was a top sixth disliked athlete. Do you worry about that?

CARTER: The decision he made to go play for the Miami Heat, that’s it. That’s where he’s going to play, so that’s not going to change anytime soon. He’s going to go play there. And you know, hopefully their team will do great.

O’BRIEN: LeBron tweeted, I will remember those of you who said this and did this. What’s that mean?

CARTER: That means the fuel that he’ll be playing with will be super duper duper premium. He usually plays with super premium. This year, that’s a little higher grade of fuel.

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    If you dont think there is "some" element of racism by "some" of the people upset about it, then I dont know what to tell you.
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    backlash came from ego-ism imo

but i was never one of those hatin on dude...by all means brobro get your money and get some rings

cant knock it
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    major pain wrote: »
    If you dont think there is "some" element of racism by "some" of the people upset about it, then I dont know what to tell you.

so its 'always' a race factor?
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Race ??? What the ? is he talkin about??....So he's the first One ever to Use Free Agency to go to another team??

*Major Facepalm*

? use the Race Card for the most simple minded ? ......
  • Miami6
    Miami6 Confirm Email Posts: 1,290
    edited September 2010
    race plays a part in it.... did u see the way the cleveland owner treated him as his "slave" running away from his masters plantation...white people are on some ? .........
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    He's got a point.

Black people kinda look like the Decision as "Well, I don't like it, but get those rings and the money. Can't hate on you, dude."

White folks - OUTSIDE of Cleveland -.....welll.....

He got his jerseys torched
    He got Death Threats
    People on boards wishing for goons to injure him, broken bones, "LeBron is ****** ? ", ? like that.

Meanwhile, Big Ben and Brett Favre runs around, criticism-free.

Da ? part of the game is any of this....Hell yeah, some of it IS racist. You're a fool to believe otherwise.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Stop it B... How did the owner treat him like a slave

He let LeBRon have his way since forever and gave the ? everything....

Stop letting Jesse Jackson cloud ya mind with stupid comments...anyone would of been upset if thier #1 product were leaving

Co-Sign......
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    He's got a point.

Black people kinda look like the Decision as "Well, I don't like it, but get those rings and the money. Can't hate on you, dude."

White folks - OUTSIDE of Cleveland -.....welll.....

He got his jerseys torched
    He got Death Threats
    People on boards wishing for goons to injure him, broken bones, "LeBron is ****** ? ", ? like that.

if you go on youtube and type in 'lebron james rant', you'll get a very diverse group of people making videos hating on lebron. he's just trying any way he can to back himself out of any responsibility. don't think for a minute James and this other fella didn't tell her to ask that question
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Lol.. im sure white ppl dont like him.. but.. ? i know my motivations was because it was a diva ? move.. thats all. and im sure many people felt similiar.. he milke it and ripped his homestates heart out all to feed his ego... some whites aint gonna like you regardless... no matter what your "DECISION" Is.. what an idiot
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
  • Miami6
    edited September 2010
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Stop it B... How did the owner treat him like a slave

the statement he released the night lebron made his decison....it had racial undertones in it....and dont ? deny that....lebron was his "property" who ran away late night...and the white owner got angry...thats how i interpreted the letter the first time i read it b4 even hearing the controversy......
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    matt- wrote: »
    so its 'always' a race factor?

See where I put those quotation marks around the word some twice? That was intentional. It was to draw attention to the idea that "some" people's reaction to this was motivated by "some" element of racism.

I never stated there is "always" a race factor.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    i Laugh when ? Say "Cavs Owner treated lebron like a Slave"

Really?? Slaves Made 15 Million + Dollars a Year From their Owners....??? i Swear i never learned that part in school ....unless some of ya'll did....

Dont ever Compare someone who Makes Millions Of Dollars From his Team and in Endorsements to a Slave, that ? sounds bout as stupid as hell.
  • Miami6
    edited September 2010
    matt- wrote: »
    Can't this ? just accept he ? up in how it was handled

appearing on CNN, with his marketing director Maverick Carter and host Soledad O'Brien....and john2009, you can rest easy b/c they aren't all doing interviews together like you suggested. that post is now one of the many "dumb things people say in cheapseats' because it was proven to be false.

anyway

yeah...i did see chris bosh/wade/lebron getting interviewed by racheal nichols on espn today...and he said as the season moves on..u wont see them doing interviews together.... "they have to also give each other space" is what bosh said.....great decision........
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    major pain wrote: »
    See where I put those quotation marks around the word some twice? That was intentional. It was to draw attention to the idea that "some" people's reaction to this was motivated by "some" element of racism.

I never stated there is "always" a race factor.

right, Lebron said that
  • Miami6
    edited September 2010

Really?? Slaves Made 15 Million + Dollars a Year From their Owners....??? i Swear i never learned that part in school ....unless some of ya'll did....

Dont ever Compare someone who Makes Millions Of Dollars From his Team and in Endorsements to a Slave, that ? sounds bout as stupid as hell.

duh...its NOT the slave making 15 mil..its the part where he is treating lebron as his property and saying how dare u leave me black man....i made you....
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    What does have a racial element is the top hated list...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Anyone saying otherwise is a idiot or out of touch with reality, which is more than likely Matt. For some reason white people seem to think racism only exists on a overt level, they fail to think that it's not covert or people aren't predisposed to biases and perceptions they have of black folks deep down.

Just look at the top 5 most hated players in sports list. They are all black and Lebron is in it, keep in mind dude does alot of charity work with kids and never has gotten suspended in the NBA or got into legal trouble off the field. The same decision and how he did it is the same ? Brett Favre does every off seasons, but these crackers don't say ? about it, the mf does a dog and pony show every off season and no one says ? .
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    Miami6 wrote: »
    duh...its NOT the slave making 15 mil..its the part where he is treating lebron as his property and saying how dare u leave me black man....i made you....

Go Find That Quote Where he says those words and Bring it in here.....
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Anyone saying otherwise is a idiot or out of touch with reality, which is more than likely Matt. For some reason white people seem to think racism only exists on a overt level, they fail to think that it's not covert or people aren't predisposed to biases and perceptions they have of black folks deep down.

Just look at the top 5 most hated players in sports list. They are all black and Lebron is in it, keep in mind dude does alot of charity work with kids and never has gotten suspended in the NBA or got into legal trouble off the field. The same decision and how he did it is the same ? Brett Favre does every off seasons, but these crackers don't say ? about it, the mf does a dog and pony show every off season and no one says ? .

USmarine tryin to get black round .. huuuuuur oh ? .. ? back from the tea party
  • Miami6
    edited September 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »

close thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010

Indentured servants got treated like slaves too!
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited September 2010
    Let the Stanning Begin, It was Only a Matter of Time.....
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    people were ? at how he handled it. thats all there is to it.
  • Darius
    edited September 2010
    i didnt' want this to be race discussion but Jesse Jackson dissed real slaves everywhere when he made that comparision.