Report - Only 6% of Gamers Download Content

joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in IllGaming
According to a new report by market research firm NPD Group, only six percent of total gamers in the U.S. have downloaded content through home gaming consoles. The report also found 75 percent of U.S. consumers (age 13 and older) did not connect or download any content through any device in the previous three months.

"What we learned in our research is that while some people already experience the world in a connected way, most do not," said Russ Crupnick, vice president and senior entertainment analyst for NPD.

"For many who are connecting it is not about the flashiest apps, but more about the fundamentals like web browsing and email. The promise of the connected experience is coming, as prospective Blu-ray owners want their players to come with connectivity, and half of game consoles are already connected. The doors are also opening wider for music, video, gaming and other forms of entertainment."

Additionally, the report showed only 15 percent connected and downloaded content through a PC or Mac, 4 percent connected through a smartphone; and just 2 percent connected through a Blu-ray Disc (BD) player or a digital video player, such as Apple TV or Roku.

NPD says there's still a "large and untapped market" for devices that offer connected capabilities and the digital content for them. The report also mentions devices with associated services, like XBox Live and Amazon's Kindle store, are driving content.

"Today's gamer might be a hard-core teen-ager playing games online with his friends, a 40-something female playing Farmville on Facebook, or everything on either side of that spectrum," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"We would not have seen this type of audience diversification and expansion if it weren't for connected Internet, smartphone, and online gaming options."

Read more: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1123999p1.html#ixzz1136rvjWe

Comments

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I find that strange. Its safer than say, itunes. At least you can download something you pad for again if you need to.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Well, I know the main reason I haven't downloaded anything from PSN is because there is nothing on there that interest me atm.

I downloaded some free demos, but don't know if they count those.

When they finally add some decent psOne classics I don't already own, I'll purchase them.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    glowy wrote: »
    Well, I know the main reason I haven't downloaded anything from PSN is because there is nothing on there that interest me atm.

I downloaded some free demos, but don't know if they count those.

When they finally add some decent psOne classics I don't already own, I'll purchase them.

Majority of the stuff I've downloaded is the free stuff on PS Plus. Other than that, I don't think I've bought anything besides Fat Princess and the League Pass for FIFA.

Edit: I think I will be getting the Zombies DLC for RDR.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    i got a few things mainly DLC comtent for exsiting games. but there are some other stuff i got like some orginal games and some games that were on last gen that i didnt get a chance to get.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I downloaded just about everything for Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect 2
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I bought alot of ? , I get whatever interests me, only DLC purchase I regret is Final Fight hd remix, I played that ? for 2 days
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I bought mad ? , my other two boys also have ? and we all gameshare so it's all good for me
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I bought alot of ? , I get whatever interests me, only DLC purchase I regret is Final Fight hd remix, I played that ? for 2 days

That 2nd game that came with it is so wack I dont remember the name for it
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    I waste hella cash on the marketplace.

they say 'hella' in wales ?