Why Did I Get Married Too (2010)

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ms.jones wrote: »
    Explain. What gave you that impression that is was the typical "black" movie?

And I can't wait to see this either....all of the ladies in my office already have the premier date marked...movie, then a dinner date to discuss the movie.

what was good about the 1st one? I mean out of all of Tyler Perry's movies this was the only one I could stomach all the way through w/o wanting to destroy the tv at least 10 times...but even still I found nothing redeeming about that garbage of a first film
  • ms.jones
    ms.jones Members Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    because I've seen thousands of black movies just like this...theres nothing wrong with that...movies in general are like that nowadays, just the same ? done differently

Movies that feature an all black cast is far and few in between. That's why the sentiment of all his movies looking the same is felt...its very few black actors in Hollywood. As far as movies in general being the same, true indeed. Pretty much every subject has been touched, be it main stream or indie flicks.
  • Rell Mayne
    Rell Mayne Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Movies that feature an all black cast is far and few in between. That's why the sentiment of all his movies looking the same is felt...its very few black actors in Hollywood. As far as movies in general being the same, true indeed. Pretty much every subject has been touched, be it main stream or indie flicks.

Jones!

waddup witchu
  • ms.jones
    edited March 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    what was good about the 1st one? I mean out of all of Tyler Perry's movies this was the only one I could stomach all the way through w/o wanting to destroy the tv at least 10 times...but even still I found nothing redeeming about that garbage of a first film

With the first movie, it was just a joy to see an all black cast in a semi-positive light. The characters were educated, and upwardly mobile. The backdrop was one that could be easily identified as well. One dealt with weight and self esteem issues, the other had baby mama drama, one had the keeping up appearances issue....so, it was easy to like the movie, because for a lot of women, they saw themselves in one of the characters.

WHAT IT DOOOOOO RELLY???? :-)
  • blackrain
    edited March 2010
    Options
    With the first movie, it was just a joy to see an all black cast in a semi-positive light. The characters were educated, and upwardly mobile. The backdrop was one that could be easily identified as well. One dealt with weight and self esteem issues, the other had baby mama drama, one had the keeping up appearances issue....so, it was easy to like the movie, because for a lot of women, they saw themselves in one of the characters.

any woman that saw themselves in Michael Jai White's wife needs to ? themselves...? gave her husband an STD then bragged about it...was loud, a ? , and couldn't hold a conversation w/o tryna be a smart ass...if women are seeing themselves in that then that's sad...honestly that movie cast more of a negative light on marriage than it did a positive one...had people talking about that ? 80/20 rule
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    why do all of tyler perry's movies look the same???

same ? i was thinkn
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The first one was good so I might go see this one.
  • 5th Letter
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Oh yeah I guess if it's an all black cast then it means "its all the same".
  • ms.jones
    edited March 2010
    Options
    any woman that saw themselves in Michael Jai White's wife needs to ? themselves...? gave her husband an STD then bragged about it...was loud, a ? , and couldn't hold a conversation w/o tryna be a smart ass...if women are seeing themselves in that then that's sad...honestly that movie cast more of a negative light on marriage than it did a positive one...had people talking about that ? 80/20 rule

As sad as it is, yes some women looooove her character because "She kept it real". While I don't see the appeal of the character, others did. Can't knock them for what they like or identify with.

As far as casting a negative light on the institution of marriage, I don't see how that movie did any worse than some of the other marriage related issue movies before that. Not saying that what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but realistically speaking, it was on the same level, just a different cast.
  • blackrain
    edited March 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    Oh yeah I guess if it's an all black cast then it means "its all the same".

no cuz it's a Tyler Perry movie
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Janet Jackson looked like she cracked out at the end.
  • blackrain
    edited March 2010
    Options
    As sad as it is, yes some women looooove her character because "She kept it real". While I don't see the appeal of the character, others did. Can't knock them for what they like or identify with.

As far as casting a negative light on the institution of marriage, I don't see how that movie did any worse than some of the other marriage related issue movies before that. Not saying that what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but realistically speaking, it was on the same level, just a different cast.

Oh I'm against most movies focusing on marriage lol...for real though I just think Why Did I Get Married 1 was a bad film from a movie perspective...not even including my dislike for Tyler Perry I just thought the stories could've been told better and didn't need to have such extreme characters in order to do it
  • missiamtheshit
    missiamtheshit Members Posts: 949
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Janet Jackson looked like she cracked out at the end.

she looks str8 ?
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lmao just saw the trailer

how the ? does a movie start as a romantic comedy and turn into a murder thriller

will part three be a pixar animation?
  • 5th Letter
    edited March 2010
    Options
    no cuz it's a Tyler Perry movie

Most of his movies follow the same formula, girl is in a bad relationship with a dark skin man, said dark man does her ? , then a light skin ? swoops in and saves her. But not ALL black movies are the same.
  • ms.jones
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Oh I'm against most movies focusing on marriage lol...for real though I just think Why Did I Get Married 1 was a bad film from a movie perspective...not even including my dislike for Tyler Perry I just thought the stories could've been told better and didn't need to have such extreme characters in order to do it

I see your point...how would you have told the story though? And do you feel that your dislike for Tyler Perry jades your opinion on his films? I can agree with you, I do not like the minstrel feel of his plays, nor do I agree with him parading around as a woman...lord knows I don't....however, this was one of his better films, IMO.
  • blackrain
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Most of his movies follow the same formula, girl is in a bad relationship with a dark skin man, said dark man does her ? , then a light skin ? swoops in and saves her. But not ALL black movies are the same.

and the fact that he can't even make a decent film using an old as formula is why I cannot respect him as a filmmaker...he really is insulting his audience by repeatedly selling them the same garbage
  • blackrain
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I see your point...how would you have told the story though? And do you feel that your dislike for Tyler Perry jades your opinion on his films? I can agree with you, I do not like the minstrel feel of his plays, nor do I agree with him parading around as a woman...lord knows I don't....however, this was one of his better films, IMO.

nah because when I saw Why Did I Get Married I actually had a positive opinion on him due to the fact that I think his plays are better than his movies...so going into watching the movie I didn't hate him...wasn't til after I'd seen a few of the films that I lost respect for him...I just think that the characters didn't need to be THAT extreme to get the movie across...Jill Scott's character was just sad...she needed a man's validation to feel good about her life and that's not healthy...I just don't see it as realistic that anybody would put up with what he puts his characters through in that movie...I mean do you really think ANY man is letting it slide the next day if his wife just yells out "I gave you the clap and got a shot for myself 3 days ago"...
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Tyler Perry>>>>>>Francis Ford Coppola
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That didn't look particularly murderey nor thrillery. Although, having Janet Jackson, whose ? are full of win in this by the way, nut up and stab up everyone there is a particularly neat movie concept. Hopefully she stabs up the chick married to Michael Jai White first though, there's just nothing to like about that broad, and she plays the same character in every movie, I.E, an unlikeable ? .

Back to Janet's ? though. DAMN.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I wont spoil it but uh.........who saw that ? coming......

Just goes to show how women are when it comes to they ? ...but is always willing to take your ? . My girl is that perfect lil pasty type chick that always want to look like she has it together...? is a pain in the ass...and shawty was wrong and kept pushing the issue

but for the most part i liked the movie....

Troy my name sake.....i agree with what he did when the dude was at the card table but...he did it too early and showed that dude has him shook from the gate. even thought that was the wifes ex....no man should ever have you feeling uncomfortable even if he treated you wife like ? in the past....its the past she may be angry but why should you be.... troi played real insecure to me.

tyler handled ? better than i would.....
    so what do yall think
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah I saw it yesterday.....I enjoyed it some ? I didn't expect but it was pretty decent I was trippin off marcus the whole movie dude couldnt catch a break for nothing
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tyler perry charactor is a better man than me

i woulda been whoopin ass

you know phillip was tearin that ass up
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

The bolded is true. refer to killer of sheep by charles burnett. a movie i consider one of, if not the best, movie directed by an african american director. but then again, tyler perry is no charles burnett. in fact, he doesnt even deserve to shine his shoes. but i guess somebody like him is needed to show that we arent as a monolithic group as people think we are.

but anyway yea, the first one was barely tolerable. which is actually a complement when referring to tyler perry's movies, but i honestly dont think he's even capable of making a film like this

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I saw this movie yesterday. Man, I know Ive been critical of Tyler Perry when it comes to recycling themes and stereotypes before but this movie was great! I definately enjoyed it.