men lie women lie (mz badu)

Options
marie addams
marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
but your drum machine don't lie

This is in reference to her twitter rant earlier this week about the direction of "our music". some of you may or may not have seen it
How y’all gone stand by and let our music turn into pop techno cornball ass music. We don’t own our music no more. Come to think of it, did we EVER own it? when I say own our music , I’m not talkin bout the artist I’m talkin bout the people … let me be quiet. I wanna hear from the young people? easy for me to complain about this techno-pop cause i have a taste for something else. but how do u feel? These rappers ought to be shame of they damn selves, I’m talkin bout the mc’ s rappin over this pop techno music. I believe in pimpin the system buy got DAMN! not like this. #pop-technosongs.

I get where she's coming from..I can agree that the ? is getting very formulaic and I'd love to hear more variety in music but..I just kinda feel like it's was a piece of interesting ? ... especially coming from an artist who is so invested in "free expression" It's like saying..I can do it but you can't. Also Is house/techno/ bass & drums not the basis of hip hop?

i've seen her mess around with this drum machine before mashing the afrika bambata and apparently she does it all the time so i instantly called ? when she tweeted this lol
I just feel like..it's one thing when the consumer complains..but as an artist if you dont like it-what are YOU doing to change it?

(I personally don't mind the dance movement btw, reminds me of the 90's..makes me want to dance) [/endrant]

Comments

• blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can't compare what she did with some classics to that ? they play on radio..
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Planet rock is electronic music, electronic music is not techno. Plus i believe is addressing the trend hopping nonsense
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited October 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Planet rock is electronic music, electronic music is not techno. Plus i believe is addressing the trend hopping nonsense

Also techno came after Planet Rock..
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I can't really understand what you're getting at based on that video. I haven't heard Badu do techno pop songs. All she's saying is that these people call themselves R&B singers and rappers but the music doesn't sound soulful and Hip Hop isn't sounding like Hip Hop. Everyone is doing what they have to do to get spins on the radio. I mean a record doesn't have to sound techno in order to be a dance record but that seems to be the phase that music is in right now.

I don't think she's trying to knock anybody's hustle. She's just stating some facts & opinions.