A degree in Music Production.....is it worth it?

sobek
sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Fresh Produce
Yo I know I don't post in this section, but since this is obviously the best place to ask the question, I'm hoping y'all can give me a little insight and guidance on this.

OK , so I've been contemplating on going to school to get a degree in music production. But, I've also been wondering if the advantages of going to school to learn it be really worth it?. Would I have any legitimate edge over someone who's just learns by themselves? Would my degree really mean anything in the job market? And most importantly, do you guys think it's something worth spending the money on (expensive tuition)?

Thought?

Comments

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    IMO getting a college degree is NEVER a bad thing and it can never really hurt you. My son, yeah I'm old, is in his 2nd year of getting his degree in Sound recording. In most instances you'll get to work with the latest technology as well as learn how the old school stuff works. So if music is what yup really want to do than I'd say go for it, but I'd probably minor in something like Music Business Management or something, in teh event you want to get away from the production side in move into the office world. You never know which way life will take you, for instance, when I was in college I majored in English Lit b/c I thought I was going to law school... well enter junior into the picture and after graduation I got right into the workforce, as a business analyst. ALL MATH LOL, thank ? for excel.

Peace

=Aone