New sampled beat I made! "Strangers" real Hip Hop

BarryHalls
BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Fresh Produce

tell me what yall think! hope yall like it! peace!

Comments

• BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
    29 views, no replies? hmmm BIGGITY BUMP!!!
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited October 2010
    Real hip hop, huh?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Peace, bro - welcome to fresh produce! I put your joints into one thread, as to keep things "tidy"..........(hit that "video" button to embed those youtube lanks)
    You've got some nice ideas, but it seems like some of the chops are too big, making parts of the beats sound "rushed", though that could be easily corrected with a little time-stretch/ compression. What all do you use, if I may ask...........
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
    Peace, bro - welcome to fresh produce! I put your joints into one thread, as to keep things "tidy"..........(hit that "video" button to embed those youtube lanks)
    You've got some nice ideas, but it seems like some of the chops are too big, making parts of the beats sound "rushed", though that could be easily corrected with a little time-stretch/ compression. What all do you use, if I may ask...........

Hey thanks a lot brotha. I'm actually new to this. Only been seriously making beats for about a year and a half. I'm only using a mpc2500 and a turntable. I borrow a MBP to record it so I can throw it online. Its not mastered or anything. Just mpc, to adobe to YouTube. What's time stretch/compression if ya don't mind me asking?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited October 2010
    RaySwift wrote: »
    Hey thanks a lot brotha. I'm actually new to this. Only been seriously making beats for about a year and a half. I'm only using a mpc2500 and a turntable. I borrow a MBP to record it so I can throw it online. Its not mastered or anything. Just mpc, to adobe to YouTube. What's time stretch/compression if ya don't mind me asking?
    Time compression/expansion allows you to take a sample and shorten or extend the length of it without changing the pitch/key of the sample. This is helpful especially when sampling from records played by live musicians. They may get off a little, and it won't be noticeable until you start putting together your samples. I've never used the 2500, but here's a video that'll show you how to use that function.

I hope this'll help ya' out. Once again, welcome to FP!! We need more cats like you around here - you've got dope sampling ideas plus the right attitude to succeed - feel free to reach out to me or any of the other cats on here with questions or anything else..........
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Good ear for samples, bu t I gotta agree with Kang... you gotta chop em down to size so that fit into bars and drum patterns... you'll get more flexibility do go where you wanna go with your sound... I had the sample problem starting out... but you gotta experiment until you find the technique that works for you... all of the beats you posted would be 100 times better if you did a better job chopping the samples up better, real talk. Stick with us and we'll walk you through it... you'll get better through osmosis.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited October 2010
    aone415 wrote: »
    Good ear for samples, bu t I gotta agree with Kang... you gotta chop em down to size so that fit into bars and drum patterns... you'll get more flexibility do go where you wanna go with your sound... I had the sample problem starting out... but you gotta experiment until you find the technique that works for you... all of the beats you posted would be 100 times better if you did a better job chopping the samples up better, real talk. Stick with us and we'll walk you through it... you'll get better through osmosis.
    word, aone! I actually wanted to get into the chopping aspect, but I typed my 1st response while tryin' to get ready for work LOL! But, to re-iterate what you said, making smaller chops would help that situationl. The smaller the pieces, the better chance you have of keeping a more consistent tempo. Try taking the longer pieces and chopping them on percussion parts (snare hits, kicks, etc.) This also will allow more creativity with your arrangements. My 1st machine was an SP 1200, so I had to chop samples into smaller pieces 'cuz I only had 10 seconds with a max of 2.5 seconds per sample. This really helped me develop creative ways to arrange my samples as opposed to just playing long loops. You've definitely got the basic concepts down, and with a little experimentation, I can tell you're gonna' be a beast!
  • GettinLo
    edited October 2010
    Here's how I learned and it's still my basic technique... Break your sample into bars... start with 4 bars per sample... chop that sample 4 times on each bar... then chop those 4 samples 4 more times... the result is 16 sample sounds from the same peice... now you've got options to work with... give it a TRY...
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2010
    aone415 wrote: »
    Here's how I learned and it's still my basic technique... Break your sample into bars... start with 4 bars per sample... chop that sample 4 times on each bar... then chop those 4 samples 4 more times... the result is 16 sample sounds from the same peice... now you've got options to work with... give it a TRY...

and this is why i hate sampleing

too much work

<<<rather hop on the keyboard
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Kang and aone415 for the help. you dont know how much I appreciate it! What do you guys mean by the samples sound "rushed?" Do you mean you can tell that sometimes the sample gets cut off to early before going to the next sequence/off beat etc? I know I can tell sometimes also and those need to be fixed. So yall are saying that if I time stretch it and compress it, it should sound much smoother and cleaner? will this give me more options with thinking of different variations?

sorry for all the questions yall, like I said, im still getting to know how to use this machine. Been DJing/skratching for 10 years but only been makin beats for almost 2. So in yalls HONEST opinion, how do my beats sound?

Thanks a lot kang for putting all my beats into 1 thread and embedding them and thanks for welcoming me to the board. I like meeting new cats actually give feedback and not hate or completely ignore you. haha! why do you say you should have more people on this board like me? Im new so im assuming there's a lot of ? on here?

Yo aone415 you from the yay area to?

If yall know some cats who wanna spit to these beats, let me know.

peace yall!
  • BarryHalls
    edited October 2010
    How do yall post youtube videos on here? whats the code?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited October 2010
    Do you mean you can tell that sometimes the sample gets cut off to early before going to the next sequence/off beat etc? I know I can tell sometimes also and those need to be fixed. So yall are saying that if I time stretch it and compress it, it should sound much smoother and cleaner? will this give me more options with thinking of different variations?

yeah - chopping in smaller pieces would also help as well; experiment to see which method suits your style
    how do my beats sound?

your joints sound good - you've got a good ear for sample selection and I can tell you're a true student of tha' "boom bap"

why do you say you should have more people on this board like me? Im new so im assuming there's a lot of ? on here?

yes - and his name is young ice -aka- toyman lucifer (just jokin' ice LOL)
    and this is why i hate sampleing

too much work

<<<rather hop on the keyboard
    ....add this ? to the list
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited October 2010
    How do yall post youtube videos on here? whats the code?
    hit the "insert video" button and enter the video's youtube url.......
  • GettinLo
    edited October 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    sampling is way easier than keys.

MAXIMUM C/S but it's really about what YOU do... Some people think sampling is wack! I believe those folks need to be shot, but that's just me... For real someone told me that Premo's beats are weak... discussion over.

Back to Rey,

When we say your samples sound rushed, we mean that they don't quite fit into bars... the reason for this is that back in the day digital didn't exist and musicians played everything live, no loops as a result there are slight timing variances. So when your taks 4, 8, 16 bars and try to simply loop them and run some drums on top of them in a tight 4/4 pattern, you're gonna have some problems... the best way to remedy this is to chop those samples down into manageable pieces and re-recreate the sound you want or make something totally different. Once you get beyond the chopping part, which can be tedious, you'll have more music freedom than you'd expect...

Check out some of the Original vs Sample vids on youtube... and you'l see how the masters (Permo, RZA, Pete Rock, Large Pro, etc) have taken samples and made them so different. That's what I strive to do with most of my beats... like this one... A well know Isley Brothers song that I chopped and re-sequenced... It aint the greatest beat in the world but it gives you an idea about what Kang and I are talking about...

Peace

-Aone
  • BarryHalls
    edited November 2010

Wassup peoples! Ok so I took yall advice and chopped some samples up to make my own melody. How about this one? I mixed it with Mos Defs "Ms. Fat ? " Pls tell me what yall think. Laptop speakers and earbuds do this beat no justice. hope yall got some cool speakers and subs. Thanks a lot yall in advance for peepin it. If yall got any beats, shoot me the links. Ill be glad to return feedback to your tracks. I love listening to other peoples styles. Different music in general. take care yall!
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited November 2010

Wassup peoples! Ok so I took yall advice and chopped some samples up to make my own melody. How about this one? I mixed it with Mos Defs "Ms. Fat ? " Pls tell me what yall think. Laptop speakers and earbuds do this beat no justice. hope yall got some cool speakers and subs. Thanks a lot yall in advance for peepin it. If yall got any beats, shoot me the links. Ill be glad to return feedback to your tracks. I love listening to other peoples styles. Different music in general. take care yall!
    Now this is what I'm talkin' about! This is dope - I can hear the improvement in this short amount of time.......you're dedicated to your craft and I salute you for that! Drop the instrumental to this joint, man............
  • GettinLo
    edited November 2010
    Now this is what I'm talkin' about! This is dope - I can hear the improvement in this short amount of time.......you're dedicated to your craft and I salute you for that! Drop the instrumental to this joint, man............

On the real.. I think dude is a ringer... ? got like 100 times better in a month!

Good ? Ray
  • BarryHalls
    edited November 2010
    YO! Thanks a lot Kang and aone for taking the time to listen and thanks for the feedback! I think I can make my beats a lot more better if I had programs and a keyboard to add more effects to it. Keep in mind that I dont have any upgraded RAM so i dont have enough space to sample a lot and make my own kits so im still using the corny STOCK drum kits that came with the MPC like "Sunny_Set, Time_Set, 2500,CDS" etc etc. haha
  • BarryHalls
    edited November 2010
    Yo if yall want a higher quality, cleaner version, I posted up a download link in he description.