Options
2»

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Do you believe the spirit is inseparable from the body, sort of like software? Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes. that is a good analogy.

No I believe in the continuation of life from one generation to the next. I live through my thought, deeds, actions long after my physical is gone.

Or if my DNA gets on a blue dress.............
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Ay Olang is that the Dude from the Lone Wolf and Cub series?
    this is your official notice to step up your watching of Kurosawa films
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i hate to speak on this subject because everybody got ? to say about it, and that in itself, is scary.

ive seen some ? . but i love science. but its the science people who try to justify ? all the time.

but they cant say ? about people who be brain dead, but can tell them what happened when they were "super duper under" during surgery.

ive been ? with by ghost. and i watch the shows on cable. and im grown and try not to be scared. and i dont be. but they still be ? with us.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Do be them ghost be ? be with you be? You be grown be? I be don't be think be ghost be real be. And I be grown be.

That be messed up. Why you be messing with people? I dont be thinking that be cool. Dont be ? with people.

Besides, to be or not to be. That is the question.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think our minds manifest a lot of these things. How come people like Michael Shermer never have ghost encounters?
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think our minds manifest a lot of these things. How come people like Michael Shermer never have ghost encounters?

Maybe because he is paler than the ghost.

156px-Shermer_wiki_portrait4.jpg
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Maybe because he is paler than the ghost.

What ghost have you ever seen that's fuschia?
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What ghost have you ever seen that's fuschia?

The ghost of prom cummerbunds past.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The ghost of prom cummerbunds past.

You haven't seen any ghost, you don't believe in them, and believing in seeing.
  • And Step
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You haven't seen any ghost, you don't believe in them, and believing in seeing.

Why couldn't you just laugh and acknowledge my superior wit?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why couldn't you just laugh and acknowledge my superior wit?

Cuz sometimes I'm a big ? .
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I believe in ghosts. I also believe the main reason why we don't see them as much as earlier centuries is because of the gas in the air (polution).

Both of my high school friends who've died have appeared in my dreams. We're always on a bus, sitting in the back and laughing. But we all never make the destination together. I guess because I'm not supposed to go to the "other side."
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    CoSignin drizzy drake on this one.

Minds playing tricks on people. Ghosts stem from the stories of old. The same people who were severely superstitious brought thoughts demons, ghosts, etc.. into the world. Alot of things people believe in are made up stories from long ago. If you believe something long enough your mind is bound to make it true.

Why do you think this though? You and Chike.

I never believed in ghosts either, I thought it was stupid. Being "religious" even then still I didn't believe they hovered around our houses and what not. I felt they were all gone "to a better place" lol. I never thought of a haunting, of my Great Grandfather or any of that. No mind tricks. I never believed in this long enough.

Only through experience did I really go through this and see it for myself. ? 's real though bro. I mean if I didn't go through this, I could say the same ? you're saying. That's that stupid ? , "seeing is believing". It's true.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

I never believed in ghosts either, I thought it was stupid. Being "religious" even then still I didn't believe they hovered around our houses and what not. I felt they were all gone "to a better place" lol. I never thought of a haunting, of my Great Grandfather or any of that. No mind tricks. I never believed in this long enough.

Only through experience did I really go through this and see it for myself. ? 's real though bro. I mean if I didn't go through this, I could say the same ? you're saying. That's that stupid ? , "seeing is believing". It's true.

Because the mind is a powerful thing, all things seen stem from it.

What is a ghost? Where does it come from? How come we have no ways of recording anything of them? No true videos, most of the photographic evidence has alternative explanations, etc...

I mean if you believe in ghost I won't knock you on it like I do religion because unlike religion there is nothing to really say spirit does not wonder. IMO it, as with many other supernatural things tie back into ancient fears and you grow up where that stuff enters the head early and the mind subconsciously labels it as true. You may not have believed consciously before, but in the subconscious that belief may have existed.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yes...because ghosts are real.

had an experience...no...not that i know of.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

Because we only use a small fraction of our brains. This means the other large percentage of our brain has never been used consciously by us. It's like Deja Vu for example, we have no control over deja vu happening, but sometimes the brain takes it upon itself to experience it. All deja vu is, is your brain hiccuping and taking your imediate experience in life and instead of placing that experience within your short term memory, it somehow puts it into your long term memory, hense the feeling that it had happened already before, even though it just happened.

Who knows what else the human mind is capable of. Those ghosts could be mental projectiles from within your own mind. ? being thrown around in houses, IF this is even true and not some ? hollywood dramatics... that could all be your mind experiencing telekinesis, but since you don't know how to use it, you don't attribute it to your own mind.

I personally have never experienced anything that could ever be considered a ghostly encounter... so if it weren't for TV, I'd know nothing about ghosts at all.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Because we only use a small fraction of our brains. This means the other large percentage of our brain has never been used consciously by us. It's like Deja Vu for example, we have no control over deja vu happening, but sometimes the brain takes it upon itself to experience it. All deja vu is, is your brain hiccuping and taking your imediate experience in life and instead of placing that experience within your short term memory, it somehow puts it into your long term memory, hense the feeling that it had happened already before, even though it just happened.

Who knows what else the human mind is capable of. Those ghosts could be mental projectiles from within your own mind. ? being thrown around in houses, IF this is even true and not some ? hollywood dramatics... that could all be your mind experiencing telekinesis, but since you don't know how to use it, you don't attribute it to your own mind.

I personally have never experienced anything that could ever be considered a ghostly encounter... so if it weren't for TV, I'd know nothing about ghosts at all.

Exactly, me and Chike pretty much said the same thing.

Consciously you're aware of what you're doing. But the subconscious makes things happen you're unaware of.

To make the difference between subconscious and conscious simple Vibe it's like a female.

If she likes you, consciously she may try to smile more, touch you more, etc..
    But doing things like scratching her wrist, scratching her shoulder, flipping her hair, etc.. is done without her knowing she's doing it, it's hard wired into their system.

While you may say, well I don't believe in ghost and never did, subconsciously he very well might and don't realize that you do.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Exactly, me and Chike pretty much said the same thing.

Consciously you're aware of what you're doing. But the subconscious makes things happen you're unaware of.

To make the difference between subconscious and conscious simple Vibe it's like a female.

If she likes you, consciously she may try to smile more, touch you more, etc..
    But doing things like scratching her wrist, scratching her shoulder, flipping her hair, etc.. is done without her knowing she's doing it, it's hard wired into their system.

While you may say, well I don't believe in ghost and never did, subconsciously he very well might and don't realize that you do.

Definitely, I may truly conscious not believe in ghosts... but if you put me by myself in an old abandoned hospital that is claimed to be haunted at night... I'm not gonna front and act like I wont be creeped the ? out lol
  • janklow
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Because we only use a small fraction of our brains.
    no, that whole "we only use 10% of the brain" myth is just that, a myth.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited October 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    no, that whole "we only use 10% of the brain" myth is just that, a myth.

We do only use a little over 10%, the rest is used without us having to use it. I know that sounds messed up, so let me put it this way.

The ten percent is what we use to recall memory, see and decipher images, formulate thought, etc...

the rest are things that are hard wired that we don't have to think about for it to happen.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It is most accurate to say we don't use our brains to its full capacity:100%. Depending on what activity you are doing, has a lot to do with how much brain is in use. Sitting on the couch vegetating watching tv, its probably pretty low.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i cant say if ghosts are real or not. my bro and cousin both seen ghosts before so i dont know.

a question to the people who dont believe. if yall dont believe in ghost would yall consider going to places that are supposed to be haunted? by yourself and at night?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited October 2010
    Options
    drtycity wrote: »
    i cant say if ghosts are real or not. my bro and cousin both seen ghosts before so i dont know.

a question to the people who dont believe. if yall dont believe in ghost would yall consider going to places that are supposed to be haunted? by yourself and at night?

Yea, no problem at all.
  • janklow
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The ten percent is what we use to recall memory, see and decipher images, formulate thought, etc...
    the rest are things that are hard wired that we don't have to think about for it to happen.
    it seems like you're saying the latter is the "necessary life functions" stuff, but that's not 90% of the brain. either way, we use the whole thing.