How Do You Determine The Price Of A Beat?

The Prime Minister
The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Fresh Produce
I'm stuck on this one.

I messed around and cooked up some fire, but I'm new to the selling part.

Is there a formula?

Comments

• drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited October 2010
    lease it for the low to the cheapskates and sell the exclusives to the highest bidder
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    I usually go by who I'm selling it to. Industry cat with a budget? No less than 5 g's.....if they're a real artist, it shouldn't be a problem. Hood artist/dope boy type? I try to shoot for a couple of g's, or work out a package deal (2 or 3 for 5): their ill-gotten money will look better in your pocket, so don't sell yourself short. If a person can't afford $500 to $1000, then they shouldn't be trying to buy a beat in the first place. A lot of times someone's enthusiasm clouds their judgment from reality - it takes money to make money. They're gonna' have to pay a reputable studio $50 to $100 an hour to record, or spend hundreds, maybe even thousands on studio equipment; not to mention advertising and marketing of the song/project. If they haven't thought that far ahead, then they're probably not worth your time anyway. Now, obviously, it's gonna' be up to you in the end, but remember your importance in the situation - especially if you've got heat - that hot beat could potentially make a hit song worth money for everybody involved. I hope this helps ya' out and good luck!!!!
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    I usually go by who I'm selling it to. Industry cat with a budget? No less than 5 g's.....if they're a real artist, it shouldn't be a problem. Hood artist/dope boy type? I try to shoot for a couple of g's, or work out a package deal (2 or 3 for 5): their ill-gotten money will look better in your pocket, so don't sell yourself short. If a person can't afford $500 to $1000, then they shouldn't be trying to buy a beat in the first place. A lot of times someone's enthusiasm clouds their judgment from reality - it takes money to make money. They're gonna' have to pay a reputable studio $50 to $100 an hour to record, or spend hundreds, maybe even thousands on studio equipment; not to mention advertising and marketing of the song/project. If they haven't thought that far ahead, then they're probably not worth your time anyway. Now, obviously, it's gonna' be up to you in the end, but remember your importance in the situation - especially if you've got heat - that hot beat could potentially make a hit song worth money for everybody involved. I hope this helps ya' out and good luck!!!!

Word.

So if I sell an exclusive, then how do royalties work out?

I really don't want to sabotage myself...
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    copyright ya ? , lay out pricing details in writing. Read up on basic contract terms. And pretty much everythang reverend grundy said
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    the hard part for me is actually finding people with money, and they fit the style of the beat. I'm no professional, but I got some pretty decent work. And its so many people that rap/make beats in Memphis its crazy. So they see it as, if this ? ain't got em for the low, ill go to whoever got the cheapest ones. Which in turn ? them over cause u get what u pay for. ? be sounding unprofessional as ? , and no one takes them seriously. And they end up promoting they music, song by song on Twitter/facebook song by wong cause they ain't go no album coming out.

Pardon my vent session but mane, ? always want ? for cheap. I done had to turn away plenty of ? cause they wanted free ? , when my prices was already crackhead low.
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2010
    Word.

nicca u aint made one hit

get ya name up and work the leases.

most people dont buy exclusive rights anymore
  • TheSouthrnGent
    TheSouthrnGent Members Posts: 37
    edited October 2010
    the hard part for me is actually finding people with money, and they fit the style of the beat. I'm no professional, but I got some pretty decent work. And its so many people that rap/make beats in Memphis its crazy. So they see it as, if this ? ain't got em for the low, ill go to whoever got the cheapest ones. Which in turn ? them over cause u get what u pay for. ? be sounding unprofessional as ? , and no one takes them seriously. And they end up promoting they music, song by song on Twitter/facebook song by wong cause they ain't go no album coming out.

Pardon my vent session but mane, ? always want ? for cheap. I done had to turn away plenty of ? cause they wanted free ? , when my prices was already crackhead low.

Co-sign this man right here....except substitute Memphis for Houston....smh
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited October 2010
    i usually go by who i'm selling it to. Industry cat with a budget? No less than 5 g's.....if they're a real artist, it shouldn't be a problem. Hood artist/dope boy type? I try to shoot for a couple of g's, or work out a package deal (2 or 3 for 5): Their ill-gotten money will look better in your pocket, so don't sell yourself short. If a person can't afford $500 to $1000, then they shouldn't be trying to buy a beat in the first place. A lot of times someone's enthusiasm clouds their judgment from reality - it takes money to make money. They're gonna' have to pay a reputable studio $50 to $100 an hour to record, or spend hundreds, maybe even thousands on studio equipment; not to mention advertising and marketing of the song/project. If they haven't thought that far ahead, then they're probably not worth your time anyway. Now, obviously, it's gonna' be up to you in the end, but remember your importance in the situation - especially if you've got heat - that hot beat could potentially make a hit song worth money for everybody involved. I hope this helps ya' out and good luck!!!!

facebook-like-buton.png

likes this!
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited October 2010
    Word.

This is an awesome site for hip hop production.

THis page outlines a list of recording contracts to cater to your liking.

http://hiphopproduction.com/free-music-contracts/
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010

Yep. I feel ya.