Science versus Religion in the Black Community

Options
KTULU IS BACK
KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
1. The black church has lied about its importance in the civil rights struggle.

2. A lot of black people go to church simply to make friends and business connections because it's the only "public square" the black community has developed.

3. Black people don't go into the science fields much because the schools in the inner cities are terrible.

4. Darwin correctly predicted that we would find humanity's origin in Africa because the chimpanzees and gorillas in Africa are the animals most similar to humans.

5. Although religion can be comforting for struggling people, it comes at too high of a cost: the dismissal of rational thought.

^I put those points first in big bold text because I know most of you will simply NEVER sit down and watch four intellectuals talk for an hour even though you'll gladly spend twice that amount of time watching four old jocks talk about teams of men in tight pants clumsily fighting over a ball that isn't even really a ball, so I've summarized the interesting points and if you think it's wise at all to comment on them without hearing them in context, go ahead and do so.

But for the real grown and sexy people, I'm posting this here because the people I'd like to talk to about this particular subject don't go in the Social Lounge. If mods want to move it, knowing that it will then only be read by basically me and two white dudes, I guess that's their call, but then they will only be proving one of the points made in this discussion: black people are afraid of discussing the truth about the black church.

Last month, Howard University hosted a discussion between four distinguished guests. Anthony Pinn is a black theology professor with expertise in liberation theology and humanism. Sikivu Hutchinson has taught urban studies and cultural studies at UCLA and is a prominent black humanist as well as a blogger for the Black Agenda Report website. Todd Stiefel is a Duke grad who runs a pharmaceutical company and he's a nice guy but he's out of his league in this panel, frankly. Richard Dawkins is a world-famous proponent of atheism, a recently retired biology professor, and also happens to have been born in Kenya.

Moderating the discussion is a nervous Howard grad student named Mark Hatcher.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1. The black church has lied about its importance in the civil rights struggle.

***dont know about this one...but nothing surprises me about the church

2. A lot of black people go to church simply to make friends and business connections because it's the only "public square" the black community has developed.

***disagree with this...i think a lot go becuz they have been conditioned to go and the rest actually believe in it

3. Black people don't go into the science fields much because the schools in the inner cities are terrible.

***disagree with this too...yes the schools may be bad, but a student with an interest in something can pursue it if they are so inclined

4. Darwin correctly predicted that we would find humanity's origin in Africa because the chimpanzees and gorillas in Africa are the animals most similar to humans.

***nothing to add to this

5. Although religion can be comforting for struggling people, it comes at too high of a cost: the dismissal of rational thought.

***totally agree with this

answered all the points above
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    answered all the points above

that scene where you ate the egg bothered me
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    eddie long disapproves
  • Louis Cipher
    edited October 2010
    Options
    that scene where you ate the egg bothered me

lol...you didnt like that huh....

dont worry about it...im not coming for you YET.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    eddie long disapproves

he is mentioned in the video as an example of mega-churches and homophobia
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Roman Catholic Church which White people across the Globe subscribe 2 can be charged with the same accusations.

Question: Why are you so fascinated with black people and their plight?
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    eddie long disapproves

lol ...................................
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Roman Catholic Church which White people across the Globe subscribe 2 can be charged with the same accusations.
    1. I agree and I will add that the Vatican is a lot more damaging to the world than Eddie Long.

2. Lots of blacks are Catholic in Africa. Black bishops tell people its better to get AIDS than to wear a condom.
    This is a black forum. Why would I come here talking to you about white people or Mexicans or ? ?
  • Conscious212
    Conscious212 Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    the guy moderating was terrible
  • Louis Cipher
    edited October 2010
    Options

hes on a hip hop message board bruh...

talking about blk people kinda goes with the terrtitory
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1. I agree and I will add that the Vatican is a lot more damaging to the world than Eddie Long.

2. Lots of blacks are Catholic in Africa. Black bishops tell people its better to get AIDS than to wear a condom.

This is a black forum. Why would I come here talking to you about white people or Mexicans or ? ?

Because youre white, i'd much rather you discuss the plight of white people. I'm already black and very aware of the problems my people face, enlighten us with yours.
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    hes on a hip hop message board bruh...

talking about blk people kinda goes with the terrtitory

Im in no way mad, I was just asking a question and I understand what youre sayin.
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Westside Lu in here trollin...smmfh

askin a question is trollin now, he answered for himself no need to rush in wit ur cape.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    the guy moderating was terrible

he's nervous
    the plight of white people.
    We don't have one. We're white.
    I'm already black
    That makes it sound like you were not black and then somehow got black.

But srsly, white religious cultures share many of the same issues the black church has. But this academic panel is about why blacks don't embrace science and rely on religion.
  • Louis Cipher
    edited October 2010
    Options
    he's nervous

But srsly, white religious cultures share many of the same issues the black church has. But this academic panel is about why blacks don't embrace science and rely on religion[.

well i think this is because black people are actually very conservative people despite what you see on BET, and on this board...and embrace religion almost unquestioningly...ive heated discussions becuz i do question...and am open about my dislike of the church and organised religion as a whole....

any second now...somebody is gonna come in here defending the bible....
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    he's nervous

But srsly, white religious cultures share many of the same issues the black church has. But this academic panel is about why blacks don't embrace science and rely on religion.

Maybe they arent to trusting in white scientist? Probably because of being considered by those same scientist as inferior to whites for all those hundreds of years.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    more of the same. i've been thinking this way for a minute now. they put me out they house when i mention it though, so it falls on deaf ears.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    watching right now as I'm eating my lunch.
  • Louis Cipher
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Maybe they arent to trusting in white scientist? Probably because of being considered by those same scientist as inferior to whites for all those hundreds of years.

so they embrace a religion that was forced on them by their slave masters that actually did consider them to be inferior....

BRILLIANT!!!
  • The_Introvert
    The_Introvert Members Posts: 796
    edited October 2010
    Options

Well thats the crux of the issue. Do we embrace anti-intellectualism because it's associated with "whiteness"? Science is science regardless of the race applying its methodology. Racial allegiance is a crutch we have to stop using we're going to have a fighting chance in a rapidly increasing technological society.
  • Louis Cipher
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well thats the crux of the issue. Do we embrace anti-intellectualism because it's associated with "whiteness"? Science is science regardless of the race applying its methodology. Racial allegiance is a crutch we have to stop using we're going to have a fighting chance in a rapidly increasing technological society.

this is a huge problem for us as a people...becuz we associate anything of intelligence with whiteness....i hate that...

so many things get disregarded becuz they arent considered 'black'
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't have a problem with black people being highly spiritual and faithful. I do think it is funny when they show such an extreme loyalty to Christianity as if it has always been part of black heritage. They forget Christianity as a religion was forced on the slaves. Sure slaves found inspiration and stregth in the pages of the Bible, and that's good without a doubt, but Christianity is not some kind of African birthright. At least not the part of Africa from which most of the slaves came from. Ethiopia may have been the first Christian nation, but that isn't where most African Americans can trace their roots.
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    so they embrace a religion that was forced on them by their slave masters that actually did consider them to be inferior....

BRILLIANT!!!

Christianity doesnt consider anybody to be inferior, I see where youre going with that line of thought. Just a suggestion. IMO though Humans havent been around long enough to know all the workings and outer workings in regard to alot of things on our own planet, more so I truely dont trust most mainstream Scientist because most of their research and papers are biased based upon who's giveing them funding and what that sponsor's motivation actually is.

For instance Scientist since the 70's have known cars could run on WATER, but the funding was not there and BIG OIL would have none of it.

The ENTIRE WORLD could have had FREE ENERGY since the 1920's Nicola Tesla (who I consider to be the Greatest Scientist of All Time) had proven this way back then but and JP Morgan killed his funding because there was no way to Profit from everybody getting Energy absolutely free.

So you see there's Alot of Fuckery with the issue of "science" and what they want you to know and what really is going on.
  • louis the great
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't have a problem with black people being highly spiritual and faithful. I do think it is funny when they show such an extreme loyalty to Christianity as if it has always been part of black heritage. They forget Christianity as a religion was forced on the slaves. Sure slaves found inspiration and stregth in the pages of the Bible, and that's good without a doubt, but Christianity is not some kind of African birthright. At least not the part of Africa from which most of the slaves came from. Ethiopia may have been the first Christian nation, but that isn't where most African Americans can trace their roots.

Most Early Christians truth be told were from Nothern Africa and of course the Middle East, The Catholic Church tried their best to ? most of these people off and according to some even created this enemy to Christianity which Islam to slay these early Christians without Blood on the Vaticans Hands. Much of what we consider to be history has been changed or details left out by the Vatican, they are not to be trusted.