uh oh ya'll..Apple Hunting to Buy a Game Company...Sony?

Options
DaFifthElement
DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in IllGaming
The US stock market is alive with rumours that Apple is about to launch an unprecedented acquisition - with Sony and EA just two of gaming's mentioned targets.

Apple has $51 billion cash to spend - and, last week, Steve Jobs hinted at where that might go.

"We strongly believe that one or more very strategic opportunities may come along, that we can take, that we're in a unique position to take advantage of because of our strong cash position," he told investors.

"So I think that we would like to continue to keep our powder dry because we do feel that there are one or more strategic opportunities in the future."

Could those "strategic opportunities" include the purchase of a video games company?

Some on Wall Street obviously think so.

Kaufman Brothers have tipped EA, Netflix and even Facebook as targets.

But it today emerged that financial wires have also nodded to Adobe, Disney and - wait for it - Sony.

Leading financial magazine Barron's is reportedly suggesting that Apple faces "speculation that it could acquire Adobe Systems, Sony, or even Walt Disney".

Just imagine. It sounds crazy.

But $51 billion and no debt is an enviable position - particularly when you consider that, for its last fiscal year to March 31, 2010, Sony announced a net loss of 40.8 billion yen ($440 million dollars).

The Japanese hardware giant is estimated to have a Market Cap value in the region of $40 billion - comfortably in Apple's price range.

Something massive could be a'brewing. Stay tuned.

"Personally I don't think it will happen, but anything is possible. The Adobe rumor has been floating around for a long time. A lot of people have been waiting for Apple to make a big push into gaming. This is the first time I've heard Sony mentioned but Electronic Arts has been a potential target for quite a while.

I really don't see Apple making a move for Sony simply because I see them going for pure content. I don't think Apple would want Sony's hardware operations. A Disney hook up has been a rumor since the Pixar deal and Jobs taking a seat on the board. Having Disney content exclusive to the Apple product lineup would be huge.

But at this point Apple could pretty much buy any company and Wall Street would eat it up. They wouldn't even have to put up any cash for the deal. They could hold on to their cash and simply have a secondary offering to pay for the acquisition and the shares would be sucked up in no time on the street.

Right now Apple is literally bulletproof on Wall Street." - A buddy of mines. Lol what would Sony and apple make? Snapple?

what u guys think?

Comments

• Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    damn,, everytime i think of apple,,i think of forrest gump
  • Blue Libra
    Blue Libra Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sony isn't a game company, that's like calling microsoft a game company, ? are bigger than that.
  • DaFifthElement
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Blue Libra wrote: »
    Sony isn't a game company, that's like calling microsoft a game company, ? are bigger than that.

I know they are larger than just a video game company but Apple is bawlin right now and they could outright purchse all of sony, but I don't think they'll do that.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It would be a waste for Apple, as they cross over in many areas with Sony. Computers and ipod/Walkman. Hence they'd be wasting alot of money on stuff they already have a strong hold of.
  • Blue Libra
    Blue Libra Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Apple should takeover sega and bring us idreamcast 2.0
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i could see sony workin with google, not apple. apple will eventually create their own console, not piggy back off current ones.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

rr70qp.jpg

• DaFifthElement
    edited October 2010
    Options
    But im just sayin u never know..Sony down 400 mil and ? ...I hate to say it..but as much as I love the psn...well u know the rest
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

Lol....i would actually like to see that, apple takes over any market they enter smh.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i could see sony workin with google, not apple. apple will eventually create their own console, not piggy back off current ones.

I don't think they will mess with that again after the Pippin.
  • DaFifthElement
    edited October 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    I know they wont get Disney but Adobe & Sony is DEFINITELY possible... especially since the co. has been run a wreck for the last few years SMH (off the strength of that alone shareholders would vote against the heads). Thing is Apple is decentralized i believe & Sony is heavily bureaucratic, slow & loaded w/ debt. If Apple makes the move for Sony they have to deal w/ THE WHOLE ENTERPRISE. & b/c its so spread out globally w/ many subsidiaries outside of entertainment & Apple's circle of competence, restructuring it would be more costly than buying it & lets not forget the process of getting gov't approval for its other subsidiaries overseas. If theyre gunning for the gaming division thats more understandable & VERY VERY possible but that is also a good chunk of Sony's revenue. Also for the price that Sony is selling at (90 cents on the dollar) im not surprised ppl are looking to buy it out too it is selling at a discount after all.

Man I knew this day would come... but i thought Apple would create their own gaming division - after all it only made sense right ? hhmmm itll be interesting to see where things go but real talk i dont think it'll happen & i think they should work on solidifying their own new products b4 the jump into the gaming world. we all saw what happened with Pippin gaming console.....

^^vewwy good powst.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited October 2010
    Options
    damn,, everytime i think of apple,,i think of forrest gump

hahahahaha

same here.

"Lt dan said he had invested in some fruit company"

lol @ forrest gettin the brief case with his stock holdings and not knowing wtf he had
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't think they will mess with that again after the Pippin.

the Pippin was ahead of its time now that i see it.

all these features are nothing but the features we have on consoles today. the internet jus wasnt as strong as it is today
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If Apple makes a console, that ? will easily cost more the $1000 (All of their ? is over-priced) And people were complaining about a $600 PS3....
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If Apple makes a console, that ? will easily cost more the $1000 (All of their ? is over-priced) And people were complaining about a $600 PS3....

pinpin looks like a ps3 with a psp!?!?!? thats why apple wanna buy sony,, sony stole there idea for the pinpin and made the ps3..
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lol I never heard of that pinpin ?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    SMH @ Sony for even being in a position to just be swallowed whole like this regardless. I know Apple's money is long, but damn. M$ & and Nintendo could never, their war chest are way too deep. Get ya ? together Sony.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Not happening. Japanese company laws would not allow it.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited October 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    SMH @ Sony for even being in a position to just be swallowed whole like this regardless. I know Apple's money is long, but damn. M$ & and Nintendo could never, their war chest are way too deep. Get ya ? together Sony.

What about all them exclusives? You know them exclusives that are that BEST games ever!! 5 hrs of gamplay and no replay value? C'mon Sony runs this. Whens that Mass Effect coming out for PS3 again? I forgot, cause I already beat it four times and sold it on ebay.

And seriously I could careless if I owned a PS3, I would be happy, but these PS3 kids are hilarious in their arguements so I gotta have some fun.

I hope Apple does not buy Sony, seriously, have you ever heard those dorks and their mac Fetish. Its like the thing sucks your ? and Windows bites it off. "Look at me I spent 2000 dollars for a computer that works just the same as your 400 dollar one, but it's a Mac!!!" I can just imagine KOF making fan websites of Steve Jobs and ? .