Phobias

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Social Lounge
We all have one or more phobias, fear or something, what are your phobias?
(man up!)

http://phobialist.com/

^ Link, just in case you want to get the correct phobia name.

Acrophobia - Fear of heights
Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders
seismophobia or earthquakeaphobia (whichever) - Fear of earthquakes

Now I have no idea why I'm so scared of earthquakes and spiders, just a weird thing. I hate it but ? it, nothing I can do. I can't get over the fear no matter what.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Gerascophobia- Fear of growing old.

Only thing on there that honestly I'm afraid of, even then I don't think I'm afraid of getting old but rather don't want to.
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Unless I'm in the ? , I'm afraid of enclosed spaces.
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    There is some weird ass phobias, I've seen 'em on Maury but never thought that ? was real. One of the fears in that list is, Fear of Church. That had me laughing for a while.
  • VIBE
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Unless I'm in the ? , I'm afraid of enclosed spaces.

Yeah, enclosed spaces but for me it has to really be enclosed. I can control myself though, unless I'm being tosses around in a box or something. I had an extreme fear of this when I was a kid. I got over it by a lot of work on my mind lol I had to control myself, my breathing, my thoughts etc.

My fear of heights is wearing down a bit. That feeling of being high without protection or support is something else. Roller coasters I can get over off of one ride and be okay.

Spider, ? that. I mean I can see one crawling in the opposite direction and I'm okay. Or see one in a tank, I'm okay. Once it's headed my way or on me in any way shape or form, I freak the ? out. ? can't be on my shoe, sock, pants, arm, shirt, hat, leg, backpack or whatever it is. Not for me.

Earthquakes are a strange one. When they hit, small ones, I'm okay but I'm panicking that another big one will hit. When a good sized one hits, I freeze up and can't move. That is the most helpless feeling ever.
  • kneegrowplease
    kneegrowplease Members Posts: 227
    edited October 2010
    Options
    im scared of bees and wasp because im allergic
  • rick.flair
    rick.flair Members Posts: 14
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The closest off the top of my head is xenophobia, which is fear of the unknown.

(If you're describing yourself to others, however, use this term carefully; xenophobia can also mean fear of what is different from you. If you say "I'm xenophobic" people may think that you're indicating a fear of foreigners, people of other races, aliens, etc. and/or fear of the unknown.) It might be more accurate to say "I really don't like surprises."

I think that a fear of unseen things may be too normal, and too unlikely to impact your life, such that it doesn't require an official "phobia" title. Unless you consistently obsess about spooky invisible things lurking around you, such that this fear impacts your life, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ba gawd king

its ric flair

the fifteen time worlds heavyweight champion
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    im scared of bees and wasp because im allergic

Phobias are irrational fears. You have an allergy so your fear isn't irrational.
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ba gawd king

its ric flair

the fifteen time worlds heavyweight champion

lol . . . .
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I don't know what causes this but,whenever I'm driving down the street and a black cat (only 4 legged ones) crosses in front of me,I will literally pull to the side of the road & make a u-turn.Maybe it's really a superstitious thing? either way it spooks me.

It's bad luck to be superstitious you know.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    heyslick is scared of black people and immigrants
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh really - if it weren't for bad luck some folks wouldn't have any kind of luck at all.

That's what they say. Though I'm really starting to think superstitions are actually O.C.D.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Isn't it kind of ironic? -- All this talk of bad luck brings back some fond memories......

Can't be completely bad then!
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I guess I have a slight phobia of being close to flamable/explosive materials (like if someone is trying to ignite a gas powered grill... you'll always see me atleast 10ft away and my back mostlikely facing it... I dunno... just don't like that ? XD ). Anything that could just explode out of nowhere from a spark or something.... Oh and being buried alive.... I used to be afraid of the alien greys cuz of the big creepy ass eyes... but not so much anymore... I remember crying when I was a little kid just from seeing pics of them on unsolved mysteries LOL
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited November 2010
    Options
    fear of heights