people that dont read the bible at all..enter

13»

Comments

• djparamnesia
    djparamnesia Confirm Email Posts: 434
    edited October 2010
    what im getting at black rain is its ridiculous calling yourself a christian or muslim or jewish, you cant be half way, if you say your a christian that means you believe the story they preach, but i can respect someone who doesnt give them self a title but tells me personally there theory of it all.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    i see blackrain's point. we should not automatically assume that the majority is wrong.

however, popularity is one of the fallacious arguments that religious people like to use. "martin luther king was religious, malcolm x was religious, etc. etc."
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    blackrain wrote: »
    ehh idk...people w/ no exposure to religion seem to also come up w/ some weird ? ...look at the Greek and Roman Gods...they weren't inspired by Christianity at all

greece and rome were exposed to older religions though

i mean, wtf, that seems kinda obvious doesn't it?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    greece and rome were exposed to older religions though

i mean, wtf, that seems kinda obvious doesn't it?

yeah but I was thinking in scope of Christianity since we were talking about the Bible
  • blackrain
    edited October 2010
    i see blackrain's point. we should not automatically assume that the majority is wrong.

however, popularity is one of the fallacious arguments that religious people like to use. "martin luther king was religious, malcolm x was religious, etc. etc."

pretty much...I mean there's some good ? the majority tends to agree on just as there's some ? that makes no ? sense
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    The primary function of the tool known as "religion" is to try to explain that which humans don't presently understand. They're basically sets of abstract hypothesizes that the creators and subscribers don't attempt/care to properly support or prove. So, classically, the less people understood, the more religion was used to try to explain. This is why it is much easier to impart religious concepts to children, as there is much they don't understand. As these children develop, unless they attempt to find proper support/proof for the claims religion asserts, they'll continue to subscribe to it. However, if one is to develop without being infused with such beliefs, and they are able to attain proper explanations for that which they don't initially understand, they will be able to know, without much inquiry, that the teachings of said religion (such as the ones found in the Christian bible) are fictional.
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    fiat_money wrote: »
    The primary function of the tool known as "religion" is to try to explain that which humans don't presently understand. They're basically sets of abstract hypothesizes that the creators and subscribers don't attempt/care to properly support or prove. So, classically, the less people understood, the more religion was used to try to explain. This is why it is much easier to impart religious concepts to children, as there is much they don't understand. As these children develop, unless they attempt to find proper support/proof for the claims religion asserts, they'll continue to subscribe to it. However, if one is to develop without being infused with such beliefs, and they are able to attain proper explanations for that which they don't initially understand, they will be able to know, without much inquiry, that the teachings of said religion (such as the ones found in the Christian bible) are fictional.

So fiat your saying that unicorns and such other creature in the bible aren't infact real?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    The Jackal wrote: »
    So fiat your saying that unicorns and such other creature in the bible aren't infact real?
    I may be going out on a limb here, but that's exactly what I'm saying.
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Im not really into christiannity either but ive grown up around dat, n ive seen what it could do for people so even if it is ? , that "? " keeps some people positive and make them belive they can do something with they lives, if u dont like the bibile then u dont like it, but u shouldnt hate on it.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    blackdemo wrote: »
    Im not really into christiannity either but ive grown up around dat, n ive seen what it could do for people so even if it is ? , that "? " keeps some people positive and make them belive they can do something with they lives, if u dont like the bibile then u dont like it, but u shouldnt hate on it.

Co-sign this right here...Christianity is just a title anyway..Christ himself didn't start "Christianity"....
  • blackrain
    edited November 2010

this is what I don't get about some people who are so against organized religion...they seem to ignore the good it can does and has brought into some people's lives...I don't subscribe to it either but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see the impact religion has had in a positive way in some people's lives I know...
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    isnt it over a 1000 pages...ill pass
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010

Have you actualkly taken the time to read the bible. There are plenty of reasons to.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    There was a study done on CNN 2 weeks ago. it said that the average atheist knows more about the bible and all other religions collectively then the average christian. So it's not because of a lack of knowledge that someone would not follow, it's more like they know what it's all about and choose not to partake.