Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft

Options

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Interest-wise: Nintendo done fell off. Think about it, the Wii is the cheapest and everybody has one, but how many times have we discussed Wii games on here? On any board you go, its PS3 games, 360 games, multi-plats. Even when big games are released, there is hardly much talk. The Wii has good games, but most people are turned off by the lack of HD support. The most talk about the Wii is usually about how to hack it.

^ An example of missing the big picture.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    ^ An example of missing the big picture.

What exactly is the "big picture"? What? That Sony sucks?
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Money and income-wise: none of these companies are ever going to drop off.

Interest-wise: Nintendo done fell off. Think about it, the Wii is the cheapest and everybody has one, but how many times have we discussed Wii games on here? On any board you go, its PS3 games, 360 games, multi-plats. Even when big games are released, there is hardly much talk. The Wii has good games, but most people are turned off by the lack of HD support. The most talk about the Wii is usually about how to hack it.

As long as MS and Sony keep catering to their audience the way they are right now, they will continue to grow.

you gotta get ouuta the house more,,u aint seeing the line at gamestop due to a wii or dS game,, walmart and target got a half wall for wii asscories,, while 360 and ps3 share a 1/4 wall,, we dont have interest in the ii cuz wii dosent market to us,, they do to our kids tho,, what you go buy ur 6 year old son, a 360, ps3 or a Wii? plus the asians love Wii,, and its 50 of them to every one person in the states. my homie at work had this talk awhile ago, did you know in mexico,, the DS is the hottest device there next to an iphone. also,, evryone there has a 360,, he said its easier to get a 360 than a ps3.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Wii aint ? but shovelware, I woulda sold mine by now if I didnt mod it
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Man who REALLY gives about exclusives like that? I'm just trynna wait for my black ops and GOW3 to drop so I can get my curb stomp and ? streak on. And I hope Sony is paying you KOA for all the PS3 ? you do on this forum
  • focus
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What exactly is the "big picture"? What? That Sony sucks?

Ive made it pretty clear, but you won't put down your Sony defense shield long enough to see.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the big picture according to ford focus is that sony ? up so bad with the ps3 they lost all the money they made on ps1 and 2. therefore that makes them the biggest losers this generation. completely ignoring their quality games and how influential the PS3 was bringing in blu ray to the market.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    epic new adverts

PS3photo.preview.jpg

[IMG]http://sarshelyam.brinkster.net/? /XboxOnlyDoes.jpg[/IMG]
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited November 2010
    Options
    2586452848_2832b781ff_z.jpg

'i rike praystayshun shree, my favlit game metal gill sorid, snake-san make-a my poosi ret'
  • ShencotheMC
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Speaking of Metal gear Solid ain't 360 suppose to be getting a new MGS game? I was mad as ? when I ordered sons of liberty and found out that it wasn't in the backwards compatible list smmfh
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Speaking of Metal gear Solid ain't 360 suppose to be getting a new MGS game? I was mad as ? when I ordered sons of liberty and found out that it wasn't in the backwards compatible list smmfh

360 is getting a spinoff.....
  • ShencotheMC
    edited November 2010
    Options
    360 is getting a spinoff.....

Cool, I been wanting to sneak around in a game for a while. Splinter cell never did anything for me
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Cool, I been wanting to sneak around in a game for a while. Splinter cell never did anything for me

You will not be sneaking.....it isn't about stealth. Anymore.....hence why its a spinoff.....
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I look at it this way, what did each company set out to do this gen, and did/will they accomplish it?

Nintendo: We know exactly what Nintendo wanted to do. Expand the market and innovate while maintaining a profit based business model and high quality software. Mission accomplished. The Wii is Nintendo's most successful console ever. The sky is the limit for them right now.

M$: I believe M$ wanted to level the playing field and really compete. They launched a year early with an aggressive approach to online and gaming in general and gained a head start that Sony has been chasing ever since and can only hope to catch by the end of the console generation. M$ is a real force in the gaming world now. The 360 successfully ended Sony's monopoly. Mission accomplished.

Sony: This is where things get hazy for me. What was/is Sony's goal with the PS3 exactly? To promote Blu Ray? To sell 3D TV's? Look, I'm sure Sony just naturally thought they would again reign supreme like they did the previous two gens, who can blame them? That however is clearly not the case. They took their eye off the ball and it cost them greatly.

this brotha has a good point. especially about the ps3. they whole "we got blu ray" braggin they did kinda back fired. face it, at the end of the day, sony will still be behind ms.

and y'all shud already kno that nintendo is goin NOWHERE! look @ all the systems that have come and all gone. really guys?? u seriously think nintendo is goin anywhere?
  • joshuaboy
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Ive made it pretty clear, but you won't put down your Sony defense shield long enough to see.

And since you're the resident Wii fanboy in here and you make more threads about Sony than you do about Wii games, what does that say about interest?
  • focus
    edited November 2010
    Options
    And since you're the resident Wii fanboy in here and you make more threads about Sony than you do about Wii games, what does that say about interest?

LOL. Really? I do? Here are my most recent 15 threads. Where are the Sony threads? Where is the Wii fanboying? I make all kinds of threads, you have me confused with someone else. Please feel free to go back a few pages and verify.

1. Target: Buy 2 Get 1 Free on All PS3, Xbox 360/Kinect, and Wii Video Games...
    2. Marvel vs Capcom 3 [PS3/360 - 2011]
    3. Oprah's Audience Goes Wild For XBOX 360 & Kinect
    4. Microsoft announces record Q1 revenue, thanks 'Xbox 360 consoles and games'
    5. 8 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Video Game Retail
    6. Gametrailers/ScrewAttack: Top 10 P#ssy Azz Bytches in Gaming
    7. Spinoff Thread: If YOU Were A Video Game Developer...
    8. DJ Hero 2
    9. Gametrailers/ScrewAttack Top 10 (Local) Multiplayer Games
    10. AT&T U-Verse TV Comes To Xbox 360 This November
    11. RedBox Expanding to Game Rentals This Month
    12. Games of October: Which Will Sell The Most?
    13. X-Men Destiny Announced [NY Comic Con '10]
    14. Medal of Honor Controversy Hits Fox News
    15. Friends Hear Guy Getting Robbed Over Mic While Gaming
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    LOL. Really? I do? Here are my most recent 15 threads. Where are the Sony threads? Where is the Wii fanboying? I make all kinds of threads, you have me confused with someone else. Please feel free to go back a few pages and verify.

1. Target: Buy 2 Get 1 Free on All PS3, Xbox 360/Kinect, and Wii Video Games...
    2. Marvel vs Capcom 3 [PS3/360 - 2011]
    3. Oprah's Audience Goes Wild For XBOX 360 & Kinect
    4. Microsoft announces record Q1 revenue, thanks 'Xbox 360 consoles and games'
    5. 8 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Video Game Retail
    6. Gametrailers/ScrewAttack: Top 10 P#ssy Azz Bytches in Gaming
    7. Spinoff Thread: If YOU Were A Video Game Developer...
    8. DJ Hero 2
    9. Gametrailers/ScrewAttack Top 10 (Local) Multiplayer Games
    10. AT&T U-Verse TV Comes To Xbox 360 This November
    11. RedBox Expanding to Game Rentals This Month
    12. Games of October: Which Will Sell The Most?
    13. X-Men Destiny Announced [NY Comic Con '10]
    14. Medal of Honor Controversy Hits Fox News
    15. Friends Hear Guy Getting Robbed Over Mic While Gaming

damn what are you gonna do if N4G shuts down?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You will not be sneaking.....it isn't about stealth. Anymore.....hence why its a spinoff.....

Nah a spin off coulda just meant it was focusing on a different character smart ass. But thanks for the info anyways
  • focus
    edited November 2010
    Options

So, in contrast to my list of threads, earth two superman has made one thread in the last month.

'*BREAKING NEWS* US Marines have found foolproof way to fix RROD"

What does that say about his interest?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sion brings up some good points about SONY not having a poster child anymore. It used to be Crash and Lara Croft but those series went into oblivion when the current- gen came out. They DO have poster children but they don't have an effect like that. Kratos and MAYBE Solid Snake, but other than that I agree with Sion. Nintendo got all them faces and microsoft got master chief and Marcus Fenix(and most team ninja characters)
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Which console is here to stay ? in truth all of them. Which one will be the MOST successful going forward ? I say Nintendo & it isnt even a competition. Ppl forget that wen they think of video games they think about wat they were doin at that point in time which is what makes nintendo's mascots all the more nostalgic & keeps them fresh. Nintendo catches u while ur young. A lot of ppl hate that Wii is the child's console but folks did the same thing wen Disney refused to appeal to the older audience. Nintendo has made games for that audience tho (N64 game library) & it is the model for the other consoles to match. Mario has grown from being a standard video game character to a cultural icon AND THE POSTER BOY for video games EVERYWHERE. walk down the street & ask some1 what first comes to mind wen u ask wats a video game, what was the first game they played & I guarantee 99% are gonna say Mario & Nintendo - that is an incredible competitive advantage & moat. Lets not even get into other franchises. Nintendo is THE BEST RUN video game co. in the world & will continue to be that for the next 100-200 years. Technologically they push the envelop, they take calculated risks, they manage their capital effectively & they have strict control over their franchises.

Now Microsoft is up there too. You cant mention xbox w/o mentioning the entire microsoft co. Its a terrific advantage to have a co. like that behind u (one of the most profitable co.s in the world). Theres a great misconception that MSFT is trying to compete w/ Sony over games but thats not their primary aim. If you noticed these last 10 years Xbox cemented core franchises & an image that will stick w/ it forever - Halo. Thats all they ever really needed. Although it may seem minimal its THE MOST important thing to do in ANY business. Create & establish a brand. Sony was profitable in its early years but b/c its so big & bureaucratic it spent more time on making all that money during the PS1 & PS2 eras and very little on developing brands. Sony doesnt have a poster boy logo like Nintendo & MSFT do. NOW goin forward MSFT can work on solidifying other brands & growing to resemble nintendo in a way. The problem w/ Sony this is that as the developers under them get bigger & Sony continues to deteriorate those developers are gonna go elsewhere (wen smash bros. brawl was coming out Santa Monica studios were in talks of lending Kratos' face to the roster but were ousted by Solid Snake now wat does that tell u about Sony's control over its developers?).... anyways, MSFT is here to stay & w/ the emphasis on Halo & the acquisition of RARE they have everything they need to build an incredibly strong franchise going 10 - 20 years from now.

Sony. Sony has a problem w/ its massive business, its not run well, hasnt made a profit in 2 years, & doesnt have any core franchises that ppl automatically identify w/ off the top. Copying the Wii & Kinect was one of their worst moves imo & it really hurts its image. Sony went from being an innovator to a "biter" something they shouldnt have let go of. Sure they might have a good library of games but those franchises under them arent particularly glued to them and are growing to be better businesses than their parent. As I said I think those developers will go elsewhere eventually (especially if the money & management is better). Sony wont disappear (i think) but it is the slowest & least innovative of the 3. It wont disappear b/c it still has an advantage w/ hardware - the PS3 IS the most powerful console out now but the problem is not so much w/ the hardware, its mostly the company & their lack of a standout brand that defines them.

You was doing well until you said Sony was the least innovative of the 3. What have MS innovate on? I'll wait
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sony has innovated more than any other company.

Even Wii was built off PlayStation Eye motion control concepts, and so is Kinect.

CD? Sony made it hot.

DVDs? Sony made it hot.

Blu Ray? Sony made it.

Gaming for people over 12 years old? Sony made it acceptable.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sony has innovated more than any other company.

Even Wii was built off PlayStation Eye motion control concepts, and so is Kinect.

CD? Sony made it hot.

DVDs? Sony made it hot.

Blu Ray? Sony made it.

Gaming for people over 12 years old? Sony made it acceptable.

True.

Also, Nintendo has a poster boy and so does Microsoft right?

Why doesn't PS3? Does that mean they suck then?

PS3 doesn't have a poster boy because, to me, it has a bigger diverse gaming choice. The PS3 doesn't focus on ONE thing. It doesn't need to. It doesn't need one character or one game to be it's franchise forefront seller. PS3 runs with a big diversity of exclusives. Infamous, Uncharted, ? of War, Little Big Planet. All different, none of these are FPS. These sold really well and all their follow ups did and will too.

I don't understand why everyone is saying, "big deal, PS3 has blu-ray and 3D". Really, it is a big deal. Want to know why? Because that's what the community wants. PS3 had built in wi-fi, who jacked who now? Xbox did. PS3 has blu-ray, give it a minute and xbox will soon follow. Same with the Wii. They have to. Right now it's all about the best picture, best crisp views. Best 3D.

That movement is huge right now and Sony was smart to jump on it first. This is all IN our PS3's. Xbox still needs attachments. Give it a few and xbox will have a new system, all with the features PS3 has.

Overall PS3 is a better system and give you way more bang for your buck. This is what keeps a system going on. Who knows how long PS3 can go for, maybe we won't need a PS4 for a long time. Sony had smart plans. Started out rough, but you gotta look at what you're getting. Also, at the time the PS3 came out it's blu ray was new, so of course it was going to be expensive.

Sony thinks ahead and keeps eye on what will be big (blu ray, 3D, HD etc) They knew it smart to have it as a built in rather than have customers complain about constantly buying new attachments. That right there keeps a company on it's toes and keeps a community happy.

Microsoft does have a lot of problems. They created an infamous system known for it's RROD. They created a system in which you constantly have to buy attachments. (the new 360 slim now eliminates the need for routers, bravo). They created a gaming system that focuses on one thing, FPS or shooters in general. Shooters have always been around but are just now getting extremely big. RPG's have fallen off and now have been replaced by shooters. Eventually what will take place of shooters? Something will and what can the fans of xbox love then? When xbox makes that gaming genre switch, what will happen?

With the Wii and PS3 having more diversity than shooters, I feel they can last longer. They're not so hard strung and focused on one thing. I see that Microsoft is.

Microsoft is still the baby here and has a lot to learn. If they widen their selection and put up better exclusives then they can stick around otherwise I don't see it happening.

Smart business is KEY! Sony is on top of it, like the extras or not.

Also, Sony had PSeye first. So if anything we can easily say Nintendo and Xbox jacked that, but we won't...
  • joshuaboy
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sony. Sony has a problem w/ its massive business, its not run well, hasnt made a profit in 2 years, & doesnt have any core franchises that ppl automatically identify w/ off the top. Copying the Wii & Kinect was one of their worst moves imo & it really hurts its image. Sony went from being an innovator to a "biter" something they shouldnt have let go of. Sure they might have a good library of games but those franchises under them arent particularly glued to them and are growing to be better businesses than their parent. As I said I think those developers will go elsewhere eventually (especially if the money & management is better). Sony wont disappear (i think) but it is the slowest & least innovative of the 3. It wont disappear b/c it still has an advantage w/ hardware - the PS3 IS the most powerful console out now but the problem is not so much w/ the hardware, its mostly the company & their lack of a standout brand that defines them.

How did Sony "copy" Kinect? They were both announced at the same show.

If anything Kinect copied the Eye Toy and their games, which have been around since 2003.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Which console is here to stay ? in truth all of them. Which one will be the MOST successful going forward ? I say Nintendo & it isnt even a competition. Ppl forget that wen they think of video games they think about wat they were doin at that point in time which is what makes nintendo's mascots all the more nostalgic & keeps them fresh. Nintendo catches u while ur young. A lot of ppl hate that Wii is the child's console but folks did the same thing wen Disney refused to appeal to the older audience. Nintendo has made games for that audience tho (N64 game library) & it is the model for the other consoles to match. Mario has grown from being a standard video game character to a cultural icon AND THE POSTER BOY for video games EVERYWHERE. walk down the street & ask some1 what first comes to mind wen u ask wats a video game, what was the first game they played & I guarantee 99% are gonna say Mario & Nintendo - that is an incredible competitive advantage & moat. Lets not even get into other franchises. Nintendo is THE BEST RUN video game co. in the world & will continue to be that for the next 100-200 years. Technologically they push the envelop, they take calculated risks, they manage their capital effectively & they have strict control over their franchises.

Now Microsoft is up there too. You cant mention xbox w/o mentioning the entire microsoft co. Its a terrific advantage to have a co. like that behind u (one of the most profitable co.s in the world). Theres a great misconception that MSFT is trying to compete w/ Sony over games but thats not their primary aim. If you noticed these last 10 years Xbox cemented core franchises & an image that will stick w/ it forever - Halo. Thats all they ever really needed. Although it may seem minimal its THE MOST important thing to do in ANY business. Create & establish a brand. Sony was profitable in its early years but b/c its so big & bureaucratic it spent more time on making all that money during the PS1 & PS2 eras and very little on developing brands. Sony doesnt have a poster boy logo like Nintendo & MSFT do. NOW goin forward MSFT can work on solidifying other brands & growing to resemble nintendo in a way. The problem w/ Sony this is that as the developers under them get bigger & Sony continues to deteriorate those developers are gonna go elsewhere (wen smash bros. brawl was coming out Santa Monica studios were in talks of lending Kratos' face to the roster but were ousted by Solid Snake now wat does that tell u about Sony's control over its developers?).... anyways, MSFT is here to stay & w/ the emphasis on Halo & the acquisition of RARE they have everything they need to build an incredibly strong franchise going 10 - 20 years from now.

How did Sony copy Kinect from MS?