Ether, please explain your concept of ?

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Look around you, matter of fact disregard that, just take some time to yourself, no television, no music, no sounds whatsoever, close your eyes and open your mind. Everything is connected, everything is cause and effect. Hurting another does nothing but hurt yourself. We as humans were came from the universe, are apart of the universe, and when we die we will once again go back to the universe. Now replace universe with ? and what do you have?

Not scripture you blasphemer!!
  • universaltruth
    universaltruth Members Posts: 193
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And when I say we know "nothing", what I mean is that we are born into a world where humans have made distinctions and such, "this is this, that is that" and whatnot. However, there really are no distinctions, there is no separations, Everything Is, thats it.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No it doesn't. If you seek and it's not there then you did exactly what the bible tells you to do to find ? and came up with final conclusion based on your findings. If you dismiss it without research than you are a drone.

I like peoples' willingness to do research to get as much information they need to make a sound decision. I've done a lot of research, and yet i reached a different conclusion about the Bible than the many others you speak of.
    You believe the bible so you would never be able to understand.
    No, i can understand. The issue is with accepting views regarding religion as being true when the view contradicts ? 's word. That is something i'm very hard to convince to do.
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No, i can understand. The issue is with accepting views regarding religion as being true when the view contradicts ? 's word. That is something i'm very hard to convince to do.

My friend, all religion is is different chapters in the same book. Different perspectives on the same thing. You need knowledge in all to come to the one. You cant say you are aware when you are limiting yourself to one stance, it is contradiction, just as many things in the bible are contridictory. I actually believe in the bible for what it is, and Jesus is a person who we should strive to be like, but so is Buddha and etc. If you have the time look up Zhuangzi, a taoist philospher, he is one that will make you question everything you know and you will be better for it. Also, study philosophical Taoism as a whole, ive found the fundamental truths of this reality deeply interwoven in Taoist philosophy. Dont get it confused with its religious side however, that will push you back if you dont dig deep enough.
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add, ALL word is GODS word, as we all come from ? and are ?
  • Rock_Well
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Look around you, matter of fact disregard that, just take some time to yourself, no television, no music, no sounds whatsoever, close your eyes and open your mind. Everything is connected, everything is cause and effect. Hurting another does nothing but hurt yourself. We as humans were came from the universe, are apart of the universe, and when we die we will once again go back to the universe. Now replace universe with ? and what do you have?
    There it goes...see, this is the popular theology going around i want to hear/talk more about.

Now what i want to point out here is that the Bible tells us, in Genesis 1:1, the universe as you speak of it was created by ? . That would go to follow that the universe as we know it remains separate from ? , not equals.
    My friend, all religion is is different chapters in the same book. Different perspectives on the same thing. You need knowledge in all to come to the one. You cant say you are aware when you are limiting yourself to one stance, it is contradiction, just as many things in the bible are contridictory. I actually believe in the bible for what it is, and Jesus is a person who we should strive to be like, but so is Buddha and etc. If you have the time look up Zhuangzi, a taoist philospher, he is one that will make you question everything you know and you will be better for it. Also, study philosophical Taoism as a whole, ive found the fundamental truths of this reality deeply interwoven in Taoist philosophy. Dont get it confused with its religious side however, that will push you back if you dont dig deep enough.

I'm not really too fond of philosophers i might see wasup with dood though. I'll come back later to add to this since you brought up Jesus.
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    There it goes...see, this is the popular theology going around i want to hear/talk more about.

Now what i want to point out here is that the Bible tells us, in Genesis 1:1, the universe as you speak of it was created by ? . That would go to follow that the universe as we know it remains separate from ? , not equals.

I'm not really too fond of philosophers i might see wasup with dood though. I'll come back later to add to this since you brought up Jesus.

You need to have a better understanding of Genesis before you decide that it is the best place to go for the knowledge of how the universe was created. Genesis also says if I remember correctly "Let US make man in OUR image, and in OUR likeness" speaking of ? , also many christains confuse the Adam and Eve story, I dont know if your one, so ill leave it at that. And let me leave you with this if you believe the Universe and ? are separate, if you believe the universe had to have been created by ? , what created ? ? The answer is ? created ? , so then why is it implausible to you to believe that ? =Universe when its been shown that the Universe just came into existence, and energy has always been? It also states in the bible I believe that ? is omnipresent, and we are aware of the fact that energy is everywhere, its what makes us up.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options

Having an open mind towards any but the Bible of course right? that's what kills me...the folk talking about being pro-open minded are the same folk that demonstrate the utmost closed mindedness towards scripture.

We are all bound by our convictions. Your conviction is the bible and are therefore bound by it. Others do not have that conviction, they will read it, consider it, contemplate it etc, but they are not bound by it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If you have the time look up Zhuangzi, a taoist philospher, he is one that will make you question everything you know and you will be better for it.

Always on the look out for that kind of reading, gonna check it out, thanks for mentioning it.
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Always on the look out for that kind of reading, gonna check it out, thanks for mentioning it.

Really? You've never read Zhuangzi, what about the Tao Te Ching? Im amazed, from your posts i ifigured you would have read anything concerning the Tao back and forth, lol shows what I know lol
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Really? You've never read Zhuangzi, what about the Tao Te Ching? Im amazed, from your posts i ifigured you would have read anything concerning the Tao back and forth, lol shows what I know lol

I hadn't even heard of Zhuangzi until you mentioned it. I have read the Bhagavad Gita and the Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali but that's about it along those lines. Haven't read the Tao Te Ching either. I don't really go in search for things, I let things come to me.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't really go in search for things, I let things come to me.

^^ That maybe kind of didn't come out right. What I mean is that I will contemplate something or wonder about something and then answers will come. I don't go search for the answer, the answer(but it's never a final answer lol) will come to me. And sometimes I will contemplate something or wonder about something and the answer will be impressed upon me. Its not something that I always think through step by step, understanding just sometimes *? * comes.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    come on now you know solid analysis is correct here, BiblicalAtheist, as this forum is cluttered with members who promote open-mindedness about everything under the sun----except for interpreting and living ? 's scripture...then they kick into closed-mindedness or mockery or juvenile delinquency mode, with glee.

And it's mostly because they have each other as an audience, to agree with the clownliness. As pretty much every one of their nonsensical comments reeks with 'a search' for approval, from one of their cohorts here.

I cannot agree he is correct. He may be partially correct, in that some are like that, but it is not true for all.
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ^^ That maybe kind of didn't come out right. What I mean is that I will contemplate something or wonder about something and then answers will come. I don't go search for the answer, the answer(but it's never a final answer lol) will come to me. And sometimes I will contemplate something or wonder about something and the answer will be impressed upon me. Its not something that I always think through step by step, understanding just sometimes *? * comes.

Same here, I remember when I was a staunch atheist, "there cant be a ? " and all that. However it gave me no peace, and I started on this journey seeking peace, and it seems that when you dont strive to receive, when you have no desires, when you want nothing, you are granted with everything. So simple, yet so complex
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Same here, I remember when I was a staunch atheist, "there cant be a ? " and all that. However it gave me no peace, and I started on this journey seeking peace, and it seems that when you dont strive to receive, when you have no desires, when you want nothing, you are granted with everything. So simple, yet so complex

That's crazy cuz I say I used to be a 'hateful atheist' and this path started shorty after wholeheartedly declaring I'd rather be rich in happiness than money any day. And since then I just gather the understanding that comes and it's made me infinitely richer than before!
  • universaltruth
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That's crazy cuz I say I used to be a 'hateful atheist' and this path started shorty after wholeheartedly declaring I'd rather be rich in happiness than money any day. And since then I just gather the understanding that comes and it's made me infinitely richer than before!

Then you will be very happy in learning about the Tao, it along with Buddhism really gave me a sense of wholeness. It also allowed me to understand the Bible alot more then in my atheist days, and even more so then when I was a "? fearing Christian" lol.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Then you will be very happy in learning about the Tao, it along with Buddhism really gave me a sense of wholeness. It also allowed me to understand the Bible alot more then in my atheist days, and even more so then when I was a "? fearing Christian" lol.

Dang, I thought my story was special, but you got the same one as me:( lol
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    And ? is supported by?
    a giant turtle, i think
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    a giant turtle, i think

Wrong, many turtles, and not just any turtles, the TMNT's!!!!!!

turtlew.jpg
  • Rock_Well
    edited November 2010
    Options
    And let me leave you with this if you believe the Universe and ? are separate, if you believe the universe had to have been created by ? , what created ? ? The answer is ? created ? ,

The fact that the physical universe had a starting point doesn't argue that the eternal, spiritual source of all had to have had a starting point. An eternal, spiritual source creating itself - that's an oxymoron.

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art ? ” (Psalms 90:2)

Therefore, ? wasn't created. Not even by himself.
    so then why is it implausible to you to believe that ? =Universe when its been shown that the Universe just came into existence, and energy has always been? It also states in the bible I believe that ? is omnipresent, and we are aware of the fact that energy is everywhere, its what makes us up.

We are talking about an eternal, spiritual being. The physical universe is not that. You agree the physical universe had a starting point. The same point i made earlier. But then you equate the physical universe and everything in it with energy - something that has always been. As if to say the physical universe=always been (contradictory to your previous agreement). Then you seem to equate energy with ? , and just stop right there. Haha, that's it? Now, you know i gotta call into to question the step-by-step mathematical process you used get this right? Cuz right now, it looks like you made a few logical errors along the way.
  • Rock_Well
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add, ALL word is GODS word, as we all come from ? and are ?
    Nah man....'? 's word' is a Christian idea. You can't just come along take a Christian idea and change the definition of it according to your own desires. And you can't turn the Bible teachings against itself either.
    “I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no ? beside me… Remember the former things of old: for I am ? , and there is none else; I am ? , and there is none like me” (Isaiah 45:5)
    “? is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?"(Numbers 23:19)
    Doesn't sound like mankind is equal to ? , to me...

In Genesis, we read about a desire to know what it's like to be ? is how Satan got Eve to sin (Genesis 3:5-6). Same lie, different disguise.
    We are all bound by our convictions. Your conviction is the bible and are therefore bound by it. Others do not have that conviction, they will read it, consider it, contemplate it etc, but they are not bound by it.
    So here you are saying personal conviction is objective standard for making judgments regarding all things dealing with religion or the nature of ? . That just does not work.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited November 2010
    Options
    So here you are saying personal conviction is objective standard for making judgments regarding all things dealing with religion or the nature of ? . That just does not work.

There I was saying personal convictions are subjective.
  • universaltruth
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The fact that the physical universe had a starting point doesn't argue that the eternal, spiritual source of all had to have had a starting point. An eternal, spiritual source creating itself - that's an oxymoron.

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art ? ” (Psalms 90:2)

Therefore, ? wasn't created. Not even by himself.

We are talking about an eternal, spiritual being. The physical universe is not that. You agree the physical universe had a starting point. The same point i made earlier. But then you equate the physical universe and everything in it with energy - something that has always been. As if to say the physical universe=always been (contradictory to your previous agreement). Then you seem to equate energy with ? , and just stop right there. Haha, that's it? Now, you know i gotta call into to question the step-by-step mathematical process you used get this right? Cuz right now, it looks like you made a few logical errors along the way.

When I say ? created ? what im saying is ? has always been, just like energy, which is exactly what your Bible quote says. And I said the physical universe is made up of energy, energy has always been. Oh and a quote of my own
    "The Tao that can be trodden is not the enduring and
    unchanging Tao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and
    unchanging name.

(Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven
    and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all
    things."
    Sounds just like your quote doesnt it?
  • universaltruth
    edited November 2010
    Options
    By the way, as I said before, the fact that your limiting yourself to just the Bible as the truth when it has many contradictions and things that are suspect is limiting yourself.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    By the way, as I said before, the fact that your limiting yourself to just the Bible as the truth when it has many contradictions and things that are suspect is limiting yourself.

It is not necessarily limiting if the Bible is seen as the truth that is lord over all truths. If it is treated like it's only a small piece of the truth (or it only true to a particular person) then it is limiting.