clear this up for me

Options
shootemwon
shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)

This is my favorite scene in one of my favorite shows ever, Mad Men.
The meaning of the song was obviously at least somewhat religious for Father Gil.

Now here's the full song

This song ain't really about ? is it?

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's probably a song about their ? , Satan.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Peter, Paul, and Mary are the ? ...Yesterday's Tomorrow is one of my favorite songs.
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    It's probably a song about their ? , Satan.

Not this ? again Chika...PPM were not devil worshippers lol. Hippies that experimented with a mass amount drugs - probably, but not devil worshippers. And, if they WERE devil worshippers who cares...they sung about peace, happiness, and ending war, hatred, and racism.

I didn't think you believed in devils, gods, unicorns, etc...
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    Not this ? again Chika...PPM were not devil worshippers lol. Hippies that experimented with a mass amount drugs - probably, but not devil worshippers. And, if they WERE devil worshippers who cares...they sung about peace, happiness, and ending war, hatred, and racism.

Ok since you know so much about them, was this song really about ? or not?
  • oliverlang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Ok since you know so much about them, was this song really about ? or not?

lol...I never said I know so much about them...I just enjoy their music.

Here are the lyrics, you decide for yourself. To me it sounds like they are asking for a way into heaven after judgment day. That's just my interpretation though.

Well early in the morning, about the break of day,
    I ask the Lord, "Help me find the way!"
    Help me find the way to the promised land
    This lonely body needs a helping hand
    I ask the Lord to help me please find the way.

When the new day's a dawning, I bow my head in prayer.
    I pray to the Lord, "Won't you lead me there?"
    Won't you guide me safely to the Golden Stair?
    Won't you let this body your burden share?
    I pray to the Lord, "Won't you lead me please, lead me there?"

When the judgment comes to find the world in shame
    When the trumpet blows won't you call my name?
    When the thunder rolls and the heavens rain
    When the sun turns black, never shine again
    When the trumpet blows, won't you call me please, call my name!
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »

lol I don't. Doesn't mean other people don't either.... and I never said they were getting any type of superpowers over it either. Most music in general, though especially back in the day, spoke in metaphores. Like tangerine man was about drugs, not about a tangerine man.

Have you heard Justin Beiber rapping about speaking in tongues? kid is crazy....
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike is a NWO believer and buys the Illuminati/Hiphop hype, he can say he doesn't believe in Satan and Devils all he wants but he does.
  • Chike
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike is a NWO believer and buys the Illuminati/Hiphop hype, he can say he doesn't believe in Satan and Devils all he wants but he does.

I do, but not in the comical sense. I don't think the devil is a red dude with a pitchfork. It's a state of being. It's a nature. Just like ? is a nature. The law of the universe. Gravity, getting sick when your body has a foreign virus in it that doesn't belong. Your body works a certain way, and needs a certain set of nutrition to stay living... all these laws are ? 's law... the universal law. Poisoning your body will lead to sickness/suffering/death <~ that is the devil or going against nature... or... going against ? .

get the picture? There's not a religious bone in my body... religion is the devil's work. Metaphysically/metaphorically speaking.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    I do, but not in the comical sense. I don't think the devil is a red dude with a pitchfork. It's a state of being. It's a nature. Just like ? is a nature. The law of the universe. Gravity, getting sick when your body has a foreign virus in it that doesn't belong. Your body works a certain way, and needs a certain set of nutrition to stay living... all these laws are ? 's law... the universal law. Poisoning your body will lead to sickness/suffering/death <~ that is the devil or going against nature... or... going against ? .

get the picture? There's not a religious bone in my body... religion is the devil's work. Metaphysically/metaphorically speaking.

OK, I get you now.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Peter, Paul, and Mary are wack.

Yes they were talking about ? in that song.