[UPDATED] Interview with Jay E - finishing Act II/SIGNS to Roc Nation

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Essence
Looks like Act II can't be far off, DJ Semtex sits down with the man of the moment and talks about the tracks that he's just heard from Act II

[video=vimeo;14225806]

Thoughts?

Jay Electronica signs to Roc Nation

jayelectronica-wide-thumb-580x433-262446.jpeg

The headline says it all. Congrats to Jay Electronica! I can't say I'm too surprised when I first heard the news earlier tonight, but now that it is official, it drives home the power move made by Hov. Maybe that will lead to a Jay-Z/Jay Elec collab? According to miss info, that may be in the works already (as seen below). Why not throw a lil' J. Cole in there for more Roc Nation representation? Also check out a TwitVid of a freestyle after the announcement was made tonight (shouts 2 AY):

Earlier I spoke to Jay E. about the big news, and his plans. He said that the actual contract was signed on Saturday, after a few weeks of intense daily communication and creative courtship. How did it start? With a chance meeting at the Spotted Pig. How did Electronica know Hov was serious? His second replay email came attached with a verse. That ended up becoming the Jay Electronica and Jay-Z collaboration "Shiny Suit Theory" (featuring French chanteuse Charlotte Gainsbourg and The-Dream).

There's irony in the fact Jay-Z appears on a Jay Elec song that's based on Diddy's description of Jay Elec. Because Diddy has been mentoring and courting Jay for over a year, in the hopes of signing him as well. Electronica insists he values everything Puff contributed and hopes to have him involved in his career, but said "Jay-Z made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And I have the freedom I need too." The natural of the underground, the anti-establishment, the independent artist is rapidly changing...so I'm anxious to see what happens when Jay the conglomerate and Jay the mystic mix commerce and art.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/gowhere-hip-hop/2010/11/jay-electronica-signs-to-roc-nation.html

Now the album may drop... not sure about the direction... yet.

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay Electronica needs to HURRY UP and drop the album...........
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay Electronica needs to HURRY UP and drop the album...........

By the sounds of the interview, it'll be amazing though... as long as we get that quality!!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I don't give a ? if he drops it in 5 years time... I'll be waiting
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I don't give a ? if he drops it in 5 years time... I'll be waiting

Sounds like it's coming though... I can't see him sitting on it... especially if he's showing it off to other people as well.
  • xRapHeadx
    xRapHeadx Members Posts: 155
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That interview is old....Like 3 months old. Act II never coming lol
  • rip.dilla
    edited November 2010
    Options
    xRapHeadx wrote: »
    That interview is old....Like 3 months old. Act II never coming lol

LOL at this guy...
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    LOL at this guy...

He continues with his propaganda LOL

I can't see it not droppin' now... not when he's actually got tracks recorded and played them. Takes a while even for the Majors to publish their artists work.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What propaganda? This is old lol.

Carter Whitelow

http://vimeo.com/16493575
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What propaganda? This is old lol.

Carter Whitelow

http://vimeo.com/16493575

Nice drop on the video, interesting watch... but it doesn't change the fact that DJ Semtex heard Act II and said that ? was dope.

Is dude who's claiming that any good as an emcee?
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    He heard what Jay wanted him to hear. We have no idea what he played....and it still didn't drop when he said.....3 months ago when he said it would.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Meh, Whitelow is decent. Very raw technically , but he has decent skill.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    He heard what Jay wanted him to hear. We have no idea what he played....and it still didn't drop when he said.....3 months ago when he said it would.

Sounds like he heard something new though that Jay had obviously made whilst over in the UK. If it wasn't for Act II I'm pretty sure he'd be promoting something else... if not, a very strange business model that he has going on.

How's his lyrics though, due to his comments.... you'd think he could rhyme and rhyme and rhyme
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay has a ton of unreleased stuff...doesn't mean it's Act II

Whitelow can rhyme, but so can a lot of guys. It's the technical skills that separate Nas from Prince EA.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay has a ton of unreleased stuff...doesn't mean it's Act II

Whitelow can rhyme, but so can a lot of guys. It's the technical skills that separate Nas from Prince EA.

I'm not going to continue this saga lol If Act II never drops I'll give you props though.

Not meaning to say he's dope on the mic, just that he can write.... hence rhyming and rhyming like it's nothing.... 'cos he has so many lyrics...
  • Blu(e).
    Blu(e). Members Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Semtex interview, u can tell they're just ? w/ us. I believe Act II does exist, but i doubt Semtex heard it lol. In due time. :laugh:
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Blu(e). wrote: »
    The Semtex interview, u can tell they're just ? w/ us. I believe Act II does exist, but i doubt Semtex heard it lol. In due time. :laugh:

lol Blu you from the old board posting with the colons: :laugh:?

I disagree though, I think he got to hear a few tracks.... Semtex is the truth on this side of the Atlantic IMO. He has some good features on his blog.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options

The headline says it all. Congrats to Jay Electronica! I can't say I'm too surprised when I first heard the news earlier tonight, but now that it is official, it drives home the power move made by Hov. Maybe that will lead to a Jay-Z/Jay Elec collab? According to miss info, that may be in the works already (as seen below). Why not throw a lil' J. Cole in there for more Roc Nation representation? Also check out a TwitVid of a freestyle after the announcement was made tonight (shouts 2 AY):

Earlier I spoke to Jay E. about the big news, and his plans. He said that the actual contract was signed on Saturday, after a few weeks of intense daily communication and creative courtship. How did it start? With a chance meeting at the Spotted Pig. How did Electronica know Hov was serious? His second replay email came attached with a verse. That ended up becoming the Jay Electronica and Jay-Z collaboration "Shiny Suit Theory" (featuring French chanteuse Charlotte Gainsbourg and The-Dream).

There's irony in the fact Jay-Z appears on a Jay Elec song that's based on Diddy's description of Jay Elec. Because Diddy has been mentoring and courting Jay for over a year, in the hopes of signing him as well. Electronica insists he values everything Puff contributed and hopes to have him involved in his career, but said "Jay-Z made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And I have the freedom I need too." The natural of the underground, the anti-establishment, the independent artist is rapidly changing...so I'm anxious to see what happens when Jay the conglomerate and Jay the mystic mix commerce and art.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/gowhere-hip-hop/2010/11/jay-electronica-signs-to-roc-nation.html

• rip.dilla
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If its gonna get him to drop an album quickly... then I'm for it

If it's gonna let him sit on the sidelines like J Cole with little or no activity... then I'm against it

And we all know how Jigg likes to outshine anybody who threatens him on the MIC
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Now Act III will drop on RN instead of Decon...Act II still not coming lol.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If its gonna get him to drop an album quickly... then I'm for it

If it's gonna let him sit on the sidelines like J Cole with little or no activity... then I'm against it

And we all know how Jigg likes to outshine anybody who threatens him on the MIC

Pretty much, it could be a blessing, it could be the biggest mistake of his career. But I wanna know what the offer is that he "couldn't refuse".
    Now Act III will drop on RN instead of Decon...Act II still not coming lol.

hahaha you stay wit' it. Either way now, all we want is new music, I'm hoping it drops next year..... I'd be happy with that.
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Act III next year for sure.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Act III next year for sure.

Something we agree on? Well, I never thought I'd see the day! haha

What you bumpin' at the minute?
  • xRapHeadx
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Black on Both Sides.
    Lost Tapes
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Black on Both Sides.
    Lost Tapes

Nice choices, Ms. Fat ? is one of my favourite beats from Rawkus Era.
    I've been bumping Warren G's Regulate... The G Funk Era.