Movies By Spike Lee Appreciation Thread

DrMindbender122
DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I dunno if this thread has already been made recently or in the past; I've only been on this site since July 2010. But anyway, Spike Lee has put out some quality work over the years. I'm kinda partial to his earlier work (late 80's/early to late 90's) more so to his more recent stuff. What's your fav Spike Lee movies/movie moments? Speak on it.

Who can forget the classic race rant scene in "Do The Right Thing"?

Or the "F*ck You" rant scene from "25th Hour"?

Comments

• Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Because he speaks on issues, he no get no respect. He didnt like the fact that Quentin Tarantino overly uses the N-word in his films. Yeah he's rich and famous, but he still cares about being black, and white society dont like that. they think that once you make a certain amount of money, race doesnt matter anymore.

thats not wrong, but it aint right either.

movie wise, I love "do the right thing." but i hated how my film class teacher didnt want to discuss it afterwards. he discussed all the other movies afterwards. When we watched cassablanca, he discussed it for 2 ? days, we watched do the right thing, and after the movie, he went back to talking about cassablanca!

im not lying. dude was the dean of arts at my school. gayer than a jaybird and from minnesota. and racist. no reason a person who loves movies should get a C in film class unless the teacher is flacky.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    Because he speaks on issues, he no get no respect. He didnt like the fact that Quentin Tarantino overly uses the N-word in his films. Yeah he's rich and famous, but he still cares about being black, and white society dont like that. they think that once you make a certain amount of money, race doesnt matter anymore.

thats not wrong, but it aint right either.

movie wise, I love "do the right thing." but i hated how my film class teacher didnt want to discuss it afterwards. he discussed all the other movies afterwards. When we watched cassablanca, he discussed it for 2 ? days, we watched do the right thing, and after the movie, he went back to talking about cassablanca!

im not lying. dude was the dean of arts at my school. gayer than a jaybird and from minnesota. and racist. no reason a person who loves movies should get a C in film class unless the teacher is flacky.

Pretty much. Spike used to smell himself a bit much in many of his films (Girl 6, Mo Better Blue, She Hate Me, etc.)

But it's a crime that Malcom X didn't win at least ONE Oscar and Bamboozled is one of the most slept on films of all time. He Got Game was under-appreciated too.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    The final scene in Do The Right Thing is classic stuff...

I love his documentaries on the aftermath of Katrina... great stuff too

He hasn't gotten a good script to shoot though in a long time... he needs to bring that extra heat
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited November 2010
    Malcolm X goes without question. Of course that film will get no recognition. It hurts their hearts. Ever wonder why there aint no Marcus Garvey movie? The dont need black people getting inspiration off of the past. Because a movie will reach the masses, the books? not so much. its by design.

Bamboozled is nice. I even have some of those pieces of black mammy memorabilia in my house. At first i thought it was evil and racist, but now i see it as history.

Bamboozled had many parts of that story that i never get to speak on.

Main dude was a sell out. His dad was paul mooney playing paul mooney. Black entertainment keeps shoving him down our throat and he still dont get no credit. its by design.

the mau mau was a real. canibus? Charlie baltimore? Mos def? really son? come'on son lol.

ok, im talkin to much. let me chill.
  • DrMindbender122
    edited November 2010
    Wow...I forgot all about "He Got Game". I lot of people hate on Ray Allen in that movie, but I actually thought he did a good job. Not Oscar worthy, but better than half of what these so called "super star" actors are doing today.

I dunno if Spike directed or had some production credit in "Miracle at Santa Anna", but I thought that was a great film, as well.

Oh yeah...Hollywood and the "Powers that Be" did do "Malcolm X" ? . No way that movie shouldn't have won an Oscar.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    I dunno if Spike directed or had some production credit in "Miracle at Santa Anna"

He directed it... and personally I thought the film was weak
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    He directed it... and personally I thought the film was weak

he directed it,

It was a book adaptation.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    man bamboozeled is one of my favs also with dtrt, malcom(of course), mo better blues, and school daze. love this ? work. i wish "our" people would donate money to this ? so he could a marcus garvey movie. that would be epic. or better yet nat turner. now that would be epic
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited November 2010
    drtycity wrote: »
    man bamboozeled is one of my favs also with dtrt, malcom(of course), mo better blues, and school daze. love this ? work. i wish "our" people would donate money to this ? so he could a marcus garvey movie. that would be epic. or better yet nat turner. now that would be epic

why u saying what i already said with no quote? how disrepectful is dat?

u lucky i dont nat turner YOU.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Spike Lee is an inspiration and one of the best directors ever,Do The Right Thing is like his Illmatic one of the best films ever and one of the foundations of independent films.If you watch the end credits of Clerks Kevin Smith gives thanks to Spike and DTRT at the end.

I like all Spike's work people also sleep on Clockers which was a great crime thriller and Mekhi Phifer's debut I think.
  • DrMindbender122
    edited November 2010
    freshb651 wrote: »
    Spike Lee is an inspiration and one of the best directors ever,Do The Right Thing is like his Illmatic one of the best films ever and one of the foundations of independent films.If you watch the end credits of Clerks Kevin Smith gives thanks to Spike and DTRT at the end.

I like all Spike's work people also sleep on Clockers which was a great crime thriller and Mekhi Phifer's debut I think.

Clockers was that work, Man. FF to 7:55 in the clip. Delroy Lindo had me CTFU when he went in on Mekhi Phifer. ? was hilarious when I 1st seen it way back when; still is IMO.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    have yall seen inside man?

jodie foster is sexy as hell in that movie.

that movie is good.

i heard that it won't be an inside man 2.
  • greenwood1921
    edited November 2010
    freshb651 wrote: »

As much as I love Spike, I think he dropped the ball with Clockers. It was based on a very good book and I remember at the time it was shot, Spike was on HBO going in about "hood movies" and the only reason he did Clockers was because it was based on a book and the studio promised to bankroll his next 3 movies -- so he basically admitted that he did this half-heartedly. He's on that "Black people are more than drug dealers" type of ish, which is true, but don't let that stop you from telling a good story.

A good story is a good story. Period. Italians are more than Mobsters, but didn't stop Coppola and Scorses from making classic mob movies.
  • Anti_matter
    edited November 2010
    One of the things I like about Spike is the fact that he places "easter eggs" in some of his films, kinda like Joss Wheldon.
  • greenwood1921
    edited November 2010
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    Malcolm X goes without question. Of course that film will get no recognition. It hurts their hearts. Ever wonder why there aint no Marcus Garvey movie? The dont need black people getting inspiration off of the past. Because a movie will reach the masses, the books? not so much. its by design.

Bamboozled is nice. I even have some of those pieces of black mammy memorabilia in my house. At first i thought it was evil and racist, but now i see it as history.

Bamboozled had many parts of that story that i never get to speak on.

Main dude was a sell out. His dad was paul mooney playing paul mooney. Black entertainment keeps shoving him down our throat and he still dont get no credit. its by design.

the mau mau was a real. canibus? Charlie baltimore? Mos def? really son? come'on son lol.

ok, im talkin to much. let me chill.

Nah, keep talkin, I hear you.

Malcom was the Black... nah, fucc that... Malcom X was the MODERN Citizen Kane as far as superior filmmaking is conscerned. I dusted it off and watched the DVD again last week. I promise every scene was perfect, not one second of screen-time wasted.
    People don't realize Denzel played THREE Characters in that movie. THREE! He was Detroit Red first, then Malcom X, then El Haj Malik Shabazz. Those were basically three different people.

And Bamboozled was classic too. It was crazy how the Tommy Davidson scenes made you wanna laugh and cry at the same time. And I feel you on the minstrel dolls, I might get one.

Reminds me of my Uncle who has a million dollar crib in ATL, but he has a replica of the SLAVE SHIP diagram just above the front door. Shows how the slaves were stacked like sardines. So whenever you walk out of his front door and look up you'll see that ish. He says it keeps him grounded.
  • greenwood1921
    edited November 2010
    One of the things I like about Spike is the fact that he places "easter eggs" in some of his films, kinda like Joss Wheldon.

Wooooord.

Malcom X is full of'em. Go back and watch the scene where he gets shot. Just before he get's shot he looks at the gunman with the sawed off and *smiles* at him.

And here's a deeper one...

On Malcom X: They start compalining to Elijah Muhommad that "Malcom X is getting too big and thinks he IS the Nation of Islam."

And then notice how every scene after that where Malcom is speaking from a stage -- the pictures of Elijah around the room and on stage get bigger and BIGGER. That last one has a HUGE painting of Elijah behind Malcom as he speaks. Subliminal diss like a mugg. Man, I respect the N.O.I, but they're lame for how they did brother Malcom. Like Malcom/Denzel said in that one scene... "The N.O.I was the greatest organization a Black man has ever seen... and ? RUINED IT."
  • Anti_matter
    edited November 2010
    Wooooord.

Malcom X is full of'em. Go back and watch the scene where he gets shot. Just before he get's shot he looks at the gunman with the sawed off and *smiles* at him.

And here's a deeper one...

On Malcom X: They start compalining to Elijah Muhommad that "Malcom X is getting too big and thinks he IS the Nation of Islam."

And then notice how every scene after that where Malcom is speaking from a stage -- the pictures of Elijah around the room and on stage get bigger and BIGGER. That last one has a HUGE painting of Elijah behind Malcom as he speaks. Subliminal diss like a mugg. Man, I respect the N.O.I, but they're lame for how they did brother Malcom. Like Malcom/Denzel said in that one scene... "The N.O.I was the greatest organization a Black man has ever scene... and ? RUINED IT."

Yep. A lot of dudes never catch these, not even the simple blatant ones like the fact that he uses those same two cops that killed Raheem in his other movies.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    school daze is a personal classic to me

the music in that movie is flawless
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    As much as I love Spike, I think he dropped the ball with Clockers. It was based on a very good book and I remember at the time it was shot, Spike was on HBO going in about "hood movies" and the only reason he did Clockers was because it was based on a book and the studio promised to bankroll his next 3 movies -- so he basically admitted that he did this half-heartedly. He's on that "Black people are more than drug dealers" type of ish, which is true, but don't let that stop you from telling a good story.

A good story is a good story. Period. Italians are more than Mobsters, but didn't stop Coppola and Scorses from making classic mob movies.

nah Clockers was classic,I remember they interviewed him about the violence in it and he said he made it graphic like that in the movie because it is in real life.Like the begining montage and the scene where the fast food manager gets shot and the coroners are checkin him out and he has a bullet logged in his gums.He said most people that do shootings in the hood don't stay around to see what happened to who they shot,he said that maybe if he showed how graphic it was they'd think twice.