while i'm on it, what do you consider to be the best Coen brothers movie?

Options
BobOblah
BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
or name a top 3 or something

im leaning towards Millers Crossing but it aint easy.....

Comments

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No Country for Old Men, Fargo, and Blood simple, I think are their best. Millers Crossing, Raising Arizona,and Burn After Reading are all dope. Ladykillers is cool. Wasnt really feeling A Serious Man. Ive yet to see the rest of their movies, i heard The Man Who Wasnt There is great.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Damn...Coen Bros. has some dope movies on their catalog..my first Coen Bros. experience was Raising Arizona...No Country For Old Men Miller's Crossing and The Lady Killers (in that order) are my favorite though.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    yall never seen The Big Lebowski?

I can't think of another director who has classic comedies and classic dramas like the Coens.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    No Country for Old Men, Fargo, and Blood simple, I think are their best. Millers Crossing, Raising Arizona,and Burn After Reading are all dope. Ladykillers is cool. Wasnt really feeling A Serious Man. Ive yet to see the rest of their movies, i heard The Man Who Wasnt There is great.

That was one of my favorite comedies of theirs. in fact its my second favorite right after raising arizona. the man who wasnt there i would have to say is their most underrated and less talked about films. but i also rank that highly. right under no country

but anyway, im a huge coens fan. in fact, i consider them to be one of the most consistent modern filmakers of this era. and usually casual coen brothers fans will list the big lebowski or fargo as their favorites. with that being said, mine would have to be blood simple followed closely by barton fink. i absolutley love film noirs. which is what that would be considered technically. but on repeated viewings, one would soon realize its much more than that, as with almost every other coen movie. the underpinnings will reveal that its also a satire of noir dramas. as the title of the movie virtually entails just that. the term "blood simple" was used in the hard-boiled crime novel "red harvest" to describe the fear and panic individuals encounter when they are met with violent situations unexpectedly. which will more than likely lead them to do ignorant and not-so-well-thought-out things. and the movie confirms that. i remember watching that movie in film school, and thinking to myself "wow, that was pretty good". not knowing what lied underneath. and it really came into focus after my instructor gave a dissertation on it and further dissected the plot and the allegorical meanings. needless to say ive been a fan of it ever since. it might even be in my top 5 overall films

but yea my top 3 in this order:

1. blood simple
    2. barton fink
    3. millers crossing/raising arizona
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Damn...Coen Bros. has some dope movies on their catalog..my first Coen Bros. experience was Raising Arizona...No Country For Old Men Miller's Crossing and The Lady Killers (in that order) are my favorite though.

This.

When I was a kid, HBO played Raising Arizona like everyday and I watched EVERY TIME. Still trip off of that scene of Nic Cage dipping with that pack of diapers and those stocking over his face. Smh @ him robbing a store for some diapers. lol

And No country? Close thread. Brolin is a beast, love him in anything (nh) he should've gotten more Oscar buzz for W. too.

*Brolin to the half-dead Mexican in the truck*

"Told you I ain't got no Ah-gua."

*Him and his girlfriend in the mobile-home*

"Where ya goin?"

Brolin: "Bout to do sumthin' dumber than ? , but I'm gon' do it."

Coens got that southwestern white-redneck dialogue down. lol
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    My personal favorite is Burn After Reading. I've never completely not liked a movie, only to watch it a 2nd and 3rd time and fall in love with it. And I've also never seen a movie that's about absolutely nothing but be so involved and complex at the same time. That's not easy to do, so my vote goes with that one. Plus Frances McDormand is in it, and this was the best character of Brad Pitt's career IMO. Even over IB.

Edit: And on top of that, they had George Clooney commenting on the floors whenever he walked into a room! That was hilarious to me. Little things like that will get me every time.

Another edit: And George would start to act like he had allergies whenever he ate a food. I love him in this movie!
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Top 3

No Country For Old Men
    Fargo
    Barton Fink/A Serious Man/Blood Simple
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Big Lebowski
    Fargo
    No Country for Old Men (anybody notice that in this movie doesn't have music background?)
  • IC's Patrick Bateman
    IC's Patrick Bateman Members Posts: 536
    edited November 2010
    Options
    gonna have to go with The Big Lebowski - just for being their most hilarious movie by far.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The Big Lebowski
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Just peeped Man who Wasnt There on Netflix, anyone who is a fan of Film Noir/Neo Noir or black comedies should check it out, its good.
  • IC's Patrick Bateman
    IC's Patrick Bateman Members Posts: 536
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i actually own Blood Simple on DVD but never got around to watching it. this thread has reminded me of this fact and inspired me to light up a few bowls tonight and view this movie.
  • Koko888
    Koko888 Members Posts: 298
    edited November 2010
    Options
    O Brother Where Art Thou is fave of mine
  • naomi shambles
    naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Raising Arizona and O Brother Where Art Thou
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    because of this thread, i tried watching "millers crossing" because its on cinemax on demand.

boring.

and no country for old men is in my top 10 fav white movies. big lewbowski in there too. and fargo top 5. so im hip and down. I have "burn after reading" on dvd, just aint watched it yet, but i got it. so im down.

without spoilers, can yall tell me why millers crossings is epic? I stopped watching when they thought the killers stole the toupee'.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    because of this thread, i tried watching "millers crossing" because its on cinemax on demand.

boring.

and no country for old men is in my top 10 fav white movies. big lewbowski in there too. and fargo top 5. so im hip and down. I have "burn after reading" on dvd, just aint watched it yet, but i got it. so im down.

without spoilers, can yall tell me why millers crossings is epic? I stopped watching when they thought the killers stole the toupee'.

I can't speak for anybody else except me. but the reason i found it epic is because it was very atypical for your usual gangster flick. in the sense that dialogue is a gigantic part of the plot device. which is why u probably thought it was boring. to somebody who's never seen it before it will seem very confusing. and rightfully so because the byzantine plot doesnt reveal who is who right off the back. thats the beauty of it. names get tossed around and u dont know who their talking about until later. which is why this is a type of film that rewards its viewer upon repeated viewings. its the kind of film u have to watch over and over if u really want to grasp the concept of it. but that doesnt mean u necessarily cant figure it out upon the first viewing. especially if your the type of person who likes to pay extra attention to what's going on. so to u i say, just stick with it bra. and if u feel u still dont like it, well then i guess its not really for u
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Fargo
    The Big Lebowski
    Raising Arizona

Honorable mention: O Brother, Where Art Thou. A lot of people don't like it, but it's a favorite of mine.
  • kakihara
    kakihara Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Fargo
    No Country for Old Men
    Blood Simple

I have Burn After Reading, but I haven't watched it yet.
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No Country for Old Men
    O Brother, where art thou?
    The Big Lebowski
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Big fan of No country for Old Men, Blood Simple, Barton Fink, Fargo & Millers Crossing. I prefer serious Coens over zany Coens I find the big Lebroski and Burn After Reading to be overrated. True Grit is looking like the real deal.

If I had to pick one I would probably go with Fargo.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    No Country for Old Men...

Silenced Shotgun FTW!

no-country-for-old-men-20071109112615554.jpg