So i thnk i broke my laptop

2»

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    docdrilla wrote: »
    If it's a Dell, you can check your service tag on their support site to see how many days you got left in your warranty and what type of warranty you have. If it's shutting down immediately, replacing that fan may or may not work because you gotta then worry about if that processor got fried somehow by the overheating and that fan failing. It would be best to just go ahead and have the whole M/B replaced and with a new fan installed by calling Dell and getting it serviced. You can PM me the service tag since I do work for Dell myself.

re-read the thread, all of that has been posted and she should already be on the phone with Dell getting a shipper to send her laptop in for service.

(btw, I'm a DCSE)
  • missjcapri
    missjcapri Members Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2010
    missjcapri wrote: »
    Thanks you!

I posted the service tag in the thread already but its d434kl1. The computer still cuts on and works fine, but the fan isn't working at all. Itdidnt overheat.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    missjcapri wrote: »
    I posted the service tag in the thread already but its d434kl1. The computer still cuts on and works fine, but the fan isn't working at all. Itdidnt overheat.

it will...

I have a dead laptop right now 'cause of this. Fan died while I had left it running a simulation overnight. Came back to it the next day and I could barely get it to POST (the stuff that happens before the OS starts to load up). Processor is shot.
  • missjcapri
    missjcapri Members Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2010
    it will...

I have a dead laptop right now 'cause of this. Fan died while I had left it running a simulation overnight. Came back to it the next day and I could barely get it to POST (the stuff that happens before the OS starts to load up). Processor is shot.

That's exactly what I did. My laptop started up fine actual but, I shut it down immediately because I knew it would over heat and break completely. Its still working fine, the fan is just broke.
  • ptnutz
    ptnutz Members Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    re-read the thread, all of that has been posted and she should already be on the phone with Dell getting a shipper to send her laptop in for service.

(btw, I'm a DCSE)

I followed this thread and suspected something based on the questions you asked. Good looking out, you and Fiat.
  • byrond0126
    byrond0126 Members Posts: 325
    edited January 2011
    Fan is easy to replace, Unscrew the keyboard screws on the bottom (3-4 screws) and the keyboard should pop out. Unplug the line from the fan to the board. Do the exact opposite to put it back.
  • byrond0126
    byrond0126 Members Posts: 325
    edited January 2011
    The laptop will cut off autmatically because it is set to do that so that you dont overheat your system board. The sytemboard is the most expensive part of the laptop itself. Unless you have $300 to shell out for a new board.