Is it MVP or blacks in general

Options

Comments

• jpcrack
    jpcrack Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    When Booker had his run as King that was some of the most entertain ? on WWE TV but they had HHH ? on the whole thing....and I remember that MVP Matt Hardy fued was the only thing that kept Smackdown interesting during that time....Shelton Benji One of the best performer WWE had always gave you a great match but the E ? on his push.....I would Looooove to see Shelton and MVP hook up with Kurt on just just do a flat out Black wrestler invasion on TNA...REAL TALK!
  • TheHitman
    TheHitman Members Posts: 28
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TNA is just as bad. Jay Lethal is incredible IMO, dude is entertaining as hell and the whole Black Machismo gimmick was way over with the fans and then ? he kinda gets shelved for a while.
  • movingfeet
    movingfeet Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    the thing I like about TNA is that even if you get pulled back they are kinda fair about look at Jay Lethal Vs Eric Young Jay's on tv every week and Young when they decide what to do then they will try to push him to.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    jpcrack wrote: »
    When Booker had his run as King that was some of the most entertain ? on WWE TV but they had HHH ? on the whole thing....and I remember that MVP Matt Hardy fued was the only thing that kept Smackdown interesting during that time....Shelton Benji One of the best performer WWE had always gave you a great match but the E ? on his push.....I would Looooove to see Shelton and MVP hook up with Kurt on just just do a flat out Black wrestler invasion on TNA...REAL TALK!

Exactly... MVP was the only reason I watched SD in 2007 and 2008... hell I used to watch SD for 20 minutes just to see if he was on that ? . Dude is like one of my favorite wrestlers of this last era(2005-2010)
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The WWE saying MVP couldn't be properly pushed because of his past is pure ? . For them to say that's the only way he could be pushed as a heel could be to bring up his criminal pass is an out right lie. Since when when do they actually delve into a superstars real life past in order to draw heat? Almost never. Stone Cold's probably beat every woman he ever been married to, and not once can I ever remember anyone on camera ever saying ? about it. Wade Barret was once arrested for assaulting a cop when he was in WWE's development facility down in Florida. Now he's a main event heel. Yet, they never made mention of it once on TV. Not to mention that he wasn't even fired for it. They cover up steroid use like a motha ? so why not that?

If they wanted to make MVP into a serious Heel, all they had to do was have him attack and beat the biggest fan ass kisser of all-time, John Cena. Simple as that.

But as far as the stuff that went with Booker, he had it bad for two reasons. Being an Ex-WCW star and being black. After WWE bought out WCW, the creative team and bookies were probably licking their chops thinking about all the humiliating things they could do a Black WCW champion. Sting even said he made up his mind not to come to WWE after seeing how they made Booker look weak.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sobek wrote: »
    The WWE saying MVP couldn't be properly pushed because of his past is pure ? . For them to say that's the only way he could be pushed as a heel could be to bring up his criminal pass is an out right lie. Since when when do they actually delve into a superstars real life past in order to draw heat? Almost never. Stone Cold's probably beat every woman he ever been married to, and not once can I ever remember anyone on camera ever saying ? about it. Wade Barret was once arrested for assaulting a cop when he was in WWE's development facility down in Florida. Now he's a main event heel. Yet, they never made mention of it once on TV. Not to mention that he wasn't even fired for it. They cover up steroid use like a motha ? so why not that?

If they wanted to make MVP into a serious Heel, all they had to do was have him attack and beat the biggest fan ass kisser of all-time, John Cena. Simple as that.

But as far as the stuff that went with Booker, he had it bad for two reasons. Being an Ex-WCW star and being black. After WWE bought out WCW, the creative team and bookies were probably licking their chops thinking about all the humiliating things they could do a Black WCW champion. Sting even said he made up his mind not to come to WWE after seeing how they made Booker look weak.

co-sign

Also, MVP was over, using the pop culture favorite saying "BALLIN'!!!" and mixing it with a fake People's Elbow. Regardless, it was an over taunt and move. But for whatever reason, they didn't push him to the next level to create that over superstar like they did other wrestlers with less style and charisma.

But black wrestlers never get over because the writers are too busy keeping them at a certain level, then using them as enhancement talent to put someone else over. If the writers simply let these guys advance on their athletic ability and overness instead of bloodline and because someone high up likes you because you work out with them, then it'll be an even field. But as long as guys like Michael Hayes (redneck who got into it with Mark Henry after he called MVP, "my ? ") and whomever else who only sees black wrestlers as a stereotype continue to write for these wrestling shows, there won't be much advancement.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    whatever happened to that dude lashley?
  • sobek
    edited December 2010
    Options
    whatever happened to that dude lashley?

He does MMA now in Strike force
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2010
    Options
    But the problem is that the writers don't allow the black wrestlers to grow into a character that can be respected other than the ? we've all seen. There won't be a black wrestler that gets Triple H's storylines, or a black wrestler that gets put into a situation where they can talk just enough to get by and then let their skills in the ring do most of talking by whooping their opponents ass. The writers don't have a clue how to use the talents of what they have to write for. Instead they see ? , and automatically turn him into a ? , rapper, thug, thief, idiot, strong ape, animal, etc.
  • TrueGodHS
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    But the problem is that the writers don't allow the black wrestlers to grow into a character that can be respected other than the ? we've all seen. There won't be a black wrestler that gets Triple H's storylines, or a black wrestler that gets put into a situation where they can talk just enough to get by and then let their skills in the ring do most of talking by whooping their opponents ass. The writers don't have a clue how to use the talents of what they have to write for. Instead they see ? , and automatically turn him into a ? , rapper, thug, thief, idiot, strong ape, animal, etc.

Co-signatura lol... WWE writers really suck ass these days... I dont get that ?
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Yes there will they just need to find one that can hold their own on the mic. Kofi, Truth & MVP all had those chances to blow up & havent or couldnt capitalize off it yet. The writers are gonna do their thing but its not necessarily their job to carry a ? & spoon feed him. Triple H used to lay on his back & stare up at the nights every night back in the 90s, he wasnt winning NO matches until like the HBK era but u know why he managed to stay around ? cuz he was a terrific heel, & could hold a mic. All he needed was to find a way to get the fans behind him & then no one would stop him.... Enter DX after HBK and the rest is history.

Of course there will be another black wrestler that wins the world title & becomes the face of the co. but for now until ? get it to their head that the WWE is a business & the game is to fill seats aint nobody gonna make it up there.

I still have faith in Kofi tho....

It ain't like that. Just about everyone outside of HHH, HBK, Jericho, Undertaker, and a couple others control their own destiny, pick and choose who they feud with, an put in a good word for others that sucked their ? . Everyone else is spoon fed their lines and they aren't to stir off the script or they will get ? at backstage.

HHH used to look at the lights because of what Hall, Nash, and HBK did when Hall and Nash left the company.
    HHH was punished because he was guilty by association, not because of his gimmick. His Blue Blood gimmick was over as a heel, it was getting stale and he was a midcarder, but he was over for what he did with the character. After the incident, he was depushed and squashed whenever the chance came up. Once WCW started ? WWF in the ratings, did they let him out the doghouse. The nWo was a reason why HHH came to be and the WWF countered the nWo with DX; that was his saving grace.

So if the writers really wanted to put someone over, black, white, yellow, green, whatever, they can. They got HHH over when he was in the ? pit simply by putting him in a situation where he was dominant and in the eye of the fans. He gradually got better on the mic because he was given so much time with it. Remember those days of RAW starting off with DX, HHH/Steph for the first 20-30 minutes? You have to give a person time to practice the craft and not expect them to be naturally born with the gift of gab. I thought that's why they created "ECW" to hone the less talented skills to eventually boost them, but they lost their vision with that project. So the writers basically see ? and write stereotypical ? for a black wrestler. There's nothing more to it. If they wanted to put a black wrestler over, they will take the time and right situations to do it.
  • sobek
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'd agree that R-Truth's mike skills suck. He gives promos like he's reading off of cue cards. But imo, MVP and Booker T were no more worse or better then some of the guys who have been in the main event picture over last decade. Brock Lesnar was a deaf mute for about 3 or 4 moths before he even spoke a word. And when did, he had a goofy ass voice and just sucked on the mike overall. Khali. Another deaf Mute yet, he got a run. Batista , IMO wasn't that great on either. All he did was a lot of yelling. Not to mention he had only had about 5 moves. Jeff Hardy wasn't really that good on the mike when he was in WWE. (although, I actually like him more in TNA right now).

Between MVP and Book, I'd say MVP is weaker. But Booker T without a doubt, imo had enough skills to be a credible face or heel. But he still got ? on.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited December 2010
    Options
    wow

i forgot Khali got a run

that ? is horrible...

can anyone tell me the angle in which he got it and how was he defeated???

cuz for years they never gave Big Show a legit title run because it was said it is too much of a task to write a storyline where someone beats him legit,,,so how in the hell do Khali get a decent run

i can undertand batista,,,he had about 6-10 moves,,,but khali,,dude was worse than john cena's moveset
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Y'all hear about MVP getting booked on 12/8/2010? Apparently, he ? a fan up cuz he was making fun of him.
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Y'all hear about MVP getting booked on 12/8/2010? Apparently, he ? a fan up cuz he was making fun of him.

Damn thats weak. Probably the worse thing that could happen for dude right now.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Damn thats weak. Probably the worse thing that could happen for dude right now.

Scratch that. Seems as though the story was bogus; saw it in one of the wrestling forums I was reading earlier.
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2010
    Options
    2007-2008
    a twenty man Battle Royal was held for the title on the July 20 edition of SmackDown!. Khali won after eliminating both Kane and Batista in one move, winning his first World Heavyweight Championship. Khali dominated and defeated both Batista and Kane in a Triple Threat match that same week at The Great American Bash.

Khali then began a feud with Rey Mysterio after Mysterio won a "Championship Competition" making Mysterio the No. 1 contender. On the September 7 edition of SmackDown!, after Mysterio defeated Chavo Guerrero in an "I Quit" match, Khali applied his Vice Grip on Mysterio until Batista came to the rescue. After the assault, General Manager Theodore Long informed Khali that he would be defending his World Heavyweight Championship against both Rey Mysterio and Batista in a Triple Threat Match at Unforgiven, which Khali lost to Batista after receiving a spinebuster. Khali challenged Batista to a rematch in a Punjabi Prison Match at No Mercy in which Khali lost by failing to escape the Punjabi Prison before Batista.

I see the reason why they gave Khali the title was because there was no one left to put it on. Everyone on Smackdown kept getting hurt, and I guess the writers saw an opportunity to put this monster over by giving him the belt and a new finisher to make him seem fresh. Instead of elevating the more exciting wrestlers who were smaller, they kept it on the big, less talented dudes until one of the more popular less talented dudes was healthy enough to run with the belt.

I don't think MVP ever got a major title shot. he was held up in the US title tier and when you thought it may be his time to step up, he was never given that chance or program to get in that position. He was popular as a heel and you didn't know how to take him as a face when he was "friends" with Matt Hardy. That storyline he was given had been done so many times, that it was unbelievable that he would want to be friends with Hardy and it was a predictable outcome with MVP turning on Matt. So no one can say that MVP was given a fair chance to get over, his career path was written so ? , he was destined to fail.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    booker whoope dhis ass 5 times 5 times 5 times 5 times 5 times
  • TrueGodHS
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'd agree that R-Truth's mike skills suck. He gives promos like he's reading off of cue cards. But imo, MVP and Booker T were no more worse or better then some of the guys who have been in the main event picture over last decade. Brock Lesnar was a deaf mute for about 3 or 4 moths before he even spoke a word. And when did, he had a goofy ass voice and just sucked on the mike overall. Khali. Another deaf Mute yet, he got a run. Batista , IMO wasn't that great on either. All he did was a lot of yelling. Not to mention he had only had about 5 moves. Jeff Hardy wasn't really that good on the mike when he was in WWE. (although, I actually like him more in TNA right now).

Between MVP and Book, I'd say MVP is weaker. But Booker T without a doubt, imo had enough skills to be a credible face or heel. But he still got ? on.

I CAN CO-SIGN THIS. Booker T was the most entertaining person in WWE for me throughout 2002-2003 since Rock and Austin wasnt around like that. But he never got his chance really. That was ? to me
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's the generation of black guys in wrestling...I mean seriously, all the ? 's they hire are ex-cons...where as most of, if not all the white guys are college educated. WWE has given every black wrestler a push, but the only one that could sustain it was the College Educated Dwayne Johnson....

Most of these other wrestlers are like Rappers, they are the flavor of the month, come in, get a huge early push for doing dumb rapper ? ...and then get old and the fans wait for the next rapper. Same thing, MVP seemed like a good dude, but his promo's came off as a "? "...it's like, I hate to say it, but with some wrestlers they seem "universal" and then others they seem like ? 's no matter how you dress them up, what kinda music you give them...they still seem like "? 's".

WWE has pushed a lot of black wrestlers, hell they had the Nation Of ? , with all the Gold (besides the world title)...they had The Rock...Farooq, Ahmed Johnson....but it's like, half these other dudes suck on the mic, they get burried like every other wrestler, it just stands out more because there are 70 white wrestlers, so when 60 get burried, you still got 10 in your face everyday...where as there are 7 black wrestlers, and when they all get burried it looks like racism.

MVP's gimmick was not built to last, and did no leave room for improvement, like say a "Randy Orton"...or even D-Lo Brown...MVP, Kofi, R-Truth, they're all type cast..Booker was burried because when he was in WCW he COMPLETELY stole the Rock's gimmick, and WWE punished him for it, but he stuck with it and became King Booker...he paid his dues and his character was likeable..

If David Ortunga came in a "The Miz" he would be champ in a few years too...Miz put in WORK...he deserves the title, there were tmes I ONLY clicked over to WWE to see the Miz on the mic, like The Rock back in the day....no black wrestler has been that captivating for sustainable amounts of time (imo)
  • sobek
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I don't see how it makes a difference if black wrestlers are ex-cons or talk like they're from the hood. The WWE has always pushed white trash/hill billy characters so why not push a dude that came from the hood? Collage education, imo means nothing in the world of wrestling unless it's actually being used as part of a gimmick. Collage education isn't something that imo, isn't even relatable to majority of wrestling's fan base as a whole either.

Even though he's collage educated, David Otonga's mike skills aren't better then MVP's, imo. Not to mention that he's probably the worst wrestler in Nexus. So, why did Otonga have a better spot in the company over MVP? Imo, it's because he represents a safe black image. MVP didn't. That's part of the same reason why the Rock was allowed to be as dominated as he was. In fact, the Rock wasn't even marketed as a black man. They always put more emphasis on his Samoan side over his black side. And I know some people might argue that he was in the nation of ? , but that was before he really blew up and became the people's champ.

And I just don't believe that the season why Booker T got ? on was because he was being punished for being a Rock knock off. They made almost everyone that came over during the invasion angle into a ? . DDP, Ryno, Tazz, etc. Him being black was probably just icing on the cake though.

And Booker T imo, even later on still wasn't truly credible. Even if a guy wins the Big one, but he always has to cheat or is helped by someone else in order to win, he's not truly a credible champion, imo.

Same thing with Eddie when he was champ.
  • TrueGodHS
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I don't see how it makes a difference if black wrestlers are ex-cons or talk like they're from the hood. The WWE has always pushed white trash/hill billy characters so why not push a dude that came from the hood? Collage education, imo means nothing in the world of wrestling unless it's actually being used as part of a gimmick. Collage education isn't something that imo, isn't even relatable to majority of wrestling's fan base as a whole either.

Even though he's collage educated, David Otonga's mike skills aren't better then MVP's, imo. Not to mention that he's probably the worst wrestler in Nexus. So, why did Otonga have a better spot in the company over MVP? Imo, it's because he represents a safe black image. MVP didn't. That's part of the same reason why the Rock was allowed to be as dominated as he was. In fact, the Rock wasn't even marketed as a black man. They always put more emphasis on his Samoan side over his black side. And I know some people might argue that he was in the nation of ? , but that was before he really blew up and became the people's champ.

And I just don't believe that the season why Booker T got ? on was because he was being punished for being a Rock knock off. They made almost everyone that came over during the invasion angle into a ? . DDP, Ryno, Tazz, etc. Him being black was probably just icing on the cake though.

And Booker T imo, even later on still wasn't truly credible. Even if a guy wins the Big one, but he always has to cheat or is helped by someone else in order to win, he's not truly a credible champion, imo.

Same thing with Eddie when he was champ.

Co-sign this. I seen an article about Miz in the newspaper channeling his rise to WWE champ...Why cant MVP get a rags to riches type story too? Booker T always got ? up, and that ex con ? is ? . Why hire a ? then if he an ex-con? Whats the point?

Otunga is terrible. Terrible. MVP, Kofi, R Truth and Booker were miles ahead of him
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    5 time 5 time 5 time 5 time 5time WCW Champion.....Suckaaaaaaaaaa......tell me u didn't a just say that.......lol booker was a fool

u know what ? me off when u have mark henry "the world strongest man" getin be wih a weak finisher al la a drop kick or some ?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sion had some great points.. it's all about mic skills....

i mean as soon as kofi dropped that jamacian accent... dude's popularity jumped...
    he's great int he ring... but his image does need a revamp...

his beef with randy orton was a good one.. however he just needs a new gimmick, and i think he can blow...

i think a good gimmick would be a downplayed val venis..

have him sneaking off with everybody's girl....and ? them on the low.....

tht ? would be stereotypical, cuz of the "once u go black u don't go back" angle....so u know the insecurities of a lotta white ppl would play inot that ? greatly....
  • benlin910
    benlin910 Members Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    movingfeet wrote: »
    the thing I like about TNA is that even if you get pulled back they are kinda fair about look at Jay Lethal Vs Eric Young Jay's on tv every week and Young when they decide what to do then they will try to push him to.

me too
    lol