• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You know they have online templates for this very purpose, right?
  • death187sin
    death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/681/01/

if that doesn't help you, then nothing will

LMAOOO.. This is true..
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I mean I am trying to get a job in finance, be with the big ballers mayne...can I get some examples form the IC brave.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hire someone to do it

That's what I did....
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hire someone to do it

That's what I did....

Im pretty broke...
  • MsSouthern
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Im pretty broke...

oh well then google some state or federal job descriptions of what you are trying to put on your resume and use that
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Govt job sound good. how do I cop that B?
  • Kidjudge
    Kidjudge Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This is what I do first and foremost SEND A THANK YOU LETTER or CARD in the mail not email alot of people dont do this and that could be the difference between getting a job and not getting the job.

I put my resume in a packet go to the dollar store get a pack of those 5 report covers

1st page or cover page underneath the report cover put your name the position you are applying for and a picture of the companies logo IN COLOR

2nd page your cover letter

3rd page your resume

4th page your references and your reference letter if you have one

5th page your other stuff (DD214) if you were in the Military,Birth Cert or Social Security, diploma copies of all

Make sure you do your research on the company before you walk in the room if you know the person that is interviewing you google him find out something good about them that they would not expect you to know
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    All that work copped you that job B?
  • MsSouthern
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Govt job sound good. how do I cop that B?

I'm pretty sure you are joking

but just in case try your local workforce center or starting looking at paticular agencies that you want to work for. I'm willing to be all of them have a finance department
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    :-/

I hired someone
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you are joking

but just in case try your local workforce center or starting looking at paticular agencies that you want to work for. I'm willing to be all of them have a finance department

You talkin about that temp agency B?

Am I going to have to wear my church shirt?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Your resume should be built on your strengths, if you have a long work history put it first, if you are a recent college grad put your education and course work first. Do not use a functional resume, use a chronological one. It should be formated like this

Top and centered - name highlighted with address and phone number beneath

Objective - tell them what type of position you're looking for (basically look at the job description and adjust you're objective to it)

Education/ Work History - Depending on what you have the most experience in which comes first. If education, put down name of University and dates attened, major and all your honors (Dean's list, academic groups on campus,etc). If work, put it in descending order with all relevant work history coming first, company, job duties, dates,etc.

Skills - your knowledge of computer software, hardware, office machines, typing speed,etc

References - put available upon request at the bottom and center it (make a separate page later on with the names of company, employer,etc for when they ask for it)

* when you make your resume, don't not speak in first person (I, we, us,etc).
    * use key words/action words to describe your duties (organized, Created, Control,etc)
    * pay close attention to your grammar and punctuation

Create a good cover letter, a cover letter is what gets your resume even looked at.
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Get a female to do it, they love that type of stuff.
  • missjcapri
    missjcapri Members Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You could have easily googled a resume template
    Didnt u go to college?
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    missjcapri wrote: »
    Didnt u go to college?

c'mon shug, don't do it to him like that.
  • laydee
    laydee Members Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    TS::
    Advice:::: Get someone who knows how to structure a sentence to write your resume.
    You cannot use sentences like “aye yo i am trying to ascertain how to make my resume”!

Anyways, darling you want to work in Finance you don’t need a resume…. You just need connections, trust me.
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Your resume should be built on your strengths, if you have a long work history put it first, if you are a recent college grad put your education and course work first. Do not use a functional resume, use a chronological one. It should be formated like this

Top and centered - name highlighted with address and phone number beneath

Objective - tell them what type of position you're looking for (basically look at the job description and adjust you're objective to it)

Education/ Work History - Depending on what you have the most experience in which comes first. If education, put down name of University and dates attened, major and all your honors (Dean's list, academic groups on campus,etc). If work, put it in descending order with all relevant work history coming first, company, job duties, dates,etc.

Skills - your knowledge of computer software, hardware, office machines, typing speed,etc

References - put available upon request at the bottom and center it (make a separate page later on with the names of company, employer,etc for when they ask for it)

* when you make your resume, don't not speak in first person (I, we, us,etc).
    * use key words/action words to describe your duties (organized, Created, Control,etc)
    * pay close attention to your grammar and punctuation

Create a good cover letter, a cover letter is what gets your resume even looked at.

Solid pointers
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ^^^^or you could just go in microsoft word and download a template that will format it for you and provide professional borders along with appropriate fonts for each labeled section...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010104337.aspx

hi

Templates aren't good, employers hate templates because everyone uses them and they are not unique. The objective of your resume is to stand out from everyone elses. You have to think outside the box when it comes to getting an interview, from templates to font's to resume paper. These employers are looking over hundreds of resume after the software sorts resume through the keywords.

Another thing, when apply for a job, look at the job requirements and build your resume according to it. Keep a flexible resume along with a solid one, the flexible resume should be adjustable to what the job is asking. Also adjust your previous work history to make it relative to the type of experience they are asking for.
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    laydee wrote: »
    TS::
    Advice:::: Get someone who knows how to structure a sentence to write your resume.
    You cannot use sentences like “aye yo i am trying to ascertain how to make my resume”!

Anyways, darling you want to work in Finance you don’t need a resume…. You just need connections, trust me.

You be in London and NYC...you know anyone in teh financial district B?
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    missjcapri wrote: »
    Didnt u go to college?

I went to college but I aint do so well... Graduated tho...
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    right...I'mma have to disagree with you...

plenty of jobs you can apply for online use the same template...

the info >>>>>>>>>>> the way it looks

templates organize it for you, they aren't meant to get you the job.

Human Resources can tell a cookie cutter Microsoft Resume template, that's why it's better if you build your ? for scratch. I have a home girl who work in human resources doing that ? for a living, she says when they look at resumes the ones that stick out are the ones that are unique because it showed you put time and effort in your ? and not just just plug in template. Printer paper, font, format,etc all matters when youre are one of many.

Templates = the lazy mans way
  • laydee
    laydee Members Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You be in London and NYC...you know anyone in teh financial district B?

What position exactly do you want to work in?
  • thehonorable
    edited November 2010
    Options
    laydee wrote: »
    What position exactly do you want to work in?

Any of the brokerage firms B, Goldmans or JP Morgan etc.

Ill take a brokers postioin.

You got people B, I need that christmas bonus,