UFC = Low caliber athletes

2»

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    eyes low wrote: »
    so football, soccer, and hockey arent real sports

Exactly....that is ? ignorant logic...hell in football damn near all the great qbs and all time greats are white
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Truth.com/this-man-knows-what-he's-talking-about

and yet...blacks/latinos/asians still dominate most these sports...funny...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    How come all the haters come in here, pop off, and just say more stupid ? instead of trying to refute a rebuttal that pretty much totally shut them down.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    T/S and other people co-signing his bs have clearly been huffing paint.

1. The upper echelon UFC fighters are probably on par with any athletes in any other sport.
    Lesnar= former D-1 college athlete.
    GSP = world class athlete, has received invitations to compete for a spot in the Olympics in wrestling.
    Randy Couture= former Olympian.
    Dan Henderson = former olympian.

I can continue, but you get the point.

2. Ppl up in here acting like you need to be the greatest athlete in the world to be on a roster in a major sport. Oh yes, because Brian Scalabrine and Eddy Curry are the pinnacle of athleticism. When I think ultra athletes, I clearly think about the likes of CC Sabathia and Jamie Moyer.

And don't ? get me started on boxing. John Ruiz? Sam Peters? Chris Arreola? Last time I checked, your sport had Nikolai Valuev as a former HW champion. Nikolai ? Valuev. Nikolai - 7'5 and can barely get out of his own way -Valuev. Don't make me ? laugh.

2. Even if the average MMA fighter isn't the best athlete right now, they will be in the near future because the sport is still evolving. For the longest time, there has been a huge gap between the top fighters and everyone else. Remember when 5 years ago, ppl thought Chuck Liddell was an MMA master? Just 5 years later, everyone knows he would be eviscerated if he stepped into the octagon with even the middle-tier of MMA fighters. The new school generation of fighters is closing the gap. Look at the meteoric rise of Jon Bones Jones, Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier. And you know the scary part? These are just the fighters who developed into MMA fighters after being wrestlers. We still haven't seen yet fighters who were born and raised practicing full MMA, with the exception of Jose Aldo, who is arguably already p4p the best fighter in the world.

damn well said........

and until you actually compete on the highest level i dont see how you can criticize or judge another athlete or fighter about there physical ability...

and lol i knew the race factor was going to come in lollll
  • twizza 777
    twizza 777 Members Posts: 53
    edited November 2010
    MMA is still growing sport, but to say they are not athletes is stupid. Alot of MMA guys are accomplished wrestlers from D-1 schools and/or olympians, highly skilled martial artists. As far as washed up athletes comment is silly because some of them have failed at their 1st sport doesn't mean nothing, alot those guys trained for years to even make it to the top level. Look at Johnnie Morton, he thought he could be a MMA fighter after trainning for a month, or Kimbo Slice, and James Toney. LOL Its not even a white sport, blacks, latinos, and Brazilians are on top or on the come up (i.e Jon Jones). Only problem in MMA is the Judging.

I like Boxing too, problem is with boxing is they don't stack quality cards for their shows, like MMA cards. The top fighters fight once or twice a year, and duck each other whether its because they feel that one opponent won't draw money or they afraid to lose.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    This guy must be really ? stupid... how can you honestly sit there and say that MMA fighters are not athletic? The majority of MMA fighters are superiority athletic, Let take GSP, for example. This guy athleticism is of the charts literately, let me see you do what he can by lifting a man of the ground with both hands and slam him in the ground viciously sideways. Let me see your ass, coming out of a well put and strong kimora submission. If I was to say Jordan wasn't athletic, your ass would of been hopping screaming like ? grasshopper..

This isn't a new topic, but just something that has gained ground (again). People have debated who would win a fight between a Martial Artist and a Boxer for a long time. Back in the day, people debated whether Bruce Lee could beat Muhammad Ali in a fight. MMA and Boxing are two totally different sports. Just because they fight in a ring doesn't make them the same. MMA is good for what it is. It takes less time out of your day and better chance of a knockout. That's what people miss about boxing.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Damn this dude be trolling hard as ? some of yall just ignorant SMMFH @ white dudes had to make it extreme. LMAO @ RJJ dominating with one year of wrestling yall ? need to commit dat
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    htowntx wrote: »
    U ethered your own argument when u used lesnar as an example

Dude was 27 when he tried out for the vikings, dude didnt even play high school or college balll and hr still was a late cut.

What about cats who play football their whole lives and dont even make it lmao

You just compared UFC's cream of the crop to someone who didn't even make the NFL.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited December 2010
    1. The upper echelon UFC fighters are probably on par with any athletes in any other sport.
    Lesnar= former D-1 college athlete.
    GSP = world class athlete, has received invitations to compete for a spot in the Olympics in wrestling.
    Randy Couture= former Olympian.
    Dan Henderson = former olympian.

Couture competed in UFC mainly in his upper 30's/early 40's. He was far past his athletic prime in the Octagon.

GSP isnt world class. Receiving an invitation to TRY OUT, and actually competing in the Olympics are two different things. I'll believe it when I see it. Just because he can do a lil Backflip that doesnt make him a world class athlete. Even so, with all his athleticism, his most popular way of winning is holding on and dry ? the ? out of his opponent for 25 minutes. LOSS for the sport of MMA]. That's the best your most athletic fighter can do???? Seriously?!?

Lesnar - D1 college athlete who was AWAY FROM REAL SPORTS for numerous years. Comes into UFC with MINIMUM stand up training, and rusty Wrestling skills, and dominated.

Yes there are some exceptions when it comes to athleticsm in MMA. But it is very very rare. And look at the type of bums they compete against: Kimbo Slice, Chris Leben, Tim Sylvia, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Roy Nelson... heck even 40+ year old Ken Shamrock was headlining UFC events not too long ago.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited December 2010
    Will Munny wrote: »

Did you know Brock Lesnar was asked to play in the European Football league to develop but declined? If you don't think Brock Lesnar is a freak athlete you're basically ? .

European League Football... you talking about european league football like it means something. C'mon man. Whats next an Arena League WR is just as athletic as any NFL WR?

If Brock Lesnar is an athletic freak, I'd like to see what Ndomakong Suh, Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Haloti Ngata would do in the Octagon. Theyre all stronger, faster, and better endurance.

Rampage is a freak athlete too, he could have easily played DI football, and he has more tha "a couple years" of ametuer wrestling. You discredit yourself not even knowing that.
    Are you kidding?

Rampage is a lazy ass ? . He isn't fast at all. Horrible reflexes. Blocks punches with his head because he lacks hand-eye coordination (watch Wanderlei-Rampage II if you dont believe me)

He's strong, but then again so are a million other people. Rampage is 215-220lbs at his prime weight. You think he couldve played D1 football? The ? outta here!! What position does a slow 215lbs guy play in Football? None.
  • blank..
    blank.. Members Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Ultimate

?

Competition
  • blank..
    edited December 2010
    Untrained

Fighters

?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited December 2010
    Former MMA Champions and Main Eventers.... this is what you call ATHLETIC!!!

TIM-SYLVIA1.jpg&t=1
    ^Was UFC Champion for a very long time.. Pathetic and a disgrace to the sport

fedor.jpg
    Fedor.... my favorite fighter. But C'mon now lets be real. He almost lost to Mark Hunt (untrained MMA fighter) and Fujita (professional wrestler in Japan). As good as Fedor is, he's lucky that his generation of fighters doesnt have any real beasts in his division other than maybe Prime Cro Cop.

[IMG]http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/blogs-? -photos/4/b/f/c/3/4bfc395b1a074687da21243e2ae6bedd.jpg?stmp=1287859243[/IMG]
    As someone who relied mainly on stand up, Chuck would've got KO'd in 30 seconds by any boxer.

Roy_Nelson.jpg
    SMH
  • blank..
    edited December 2010
    Former MMA Champions and Main Eventers.... this is what you call ATHLETIC!!!

TIM-SYLVIA1.jpg&t=1
    ^Was UFC Champion for a very long time.. Pathetic and a disgrace to the sport

fedor.jpg
    Fedor.... my favorite fighter. But C'mon now lets be real. He almost lost to Mark Hunt (untrained MMA fighter) and Fujita (professional wrestler in Japan). As good as Fedor is, he's lucky that his generation of fighters doesnt have any real beasts in his division other than maybe Prime Cro Cop.

[IMG]http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/blogs-? -photos/4/b/f/c/3/4bfc395b1a074687da21243e2ae6bedd.jpg?stmp=1287859243[/IMG]
    As someone who relied mainly on stand up, Chuck would've got KO'd in 30 seconds by any boxer.

Roy_Nelson.jpg
    SMH

AHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHAHA

This post is truth.

Ay bruh post that pic of the ? who beat up Kimbo Slice, no homillz.

I think his name is Seth Petruzeli that ? is literally a flaming homosexual, and he was a champ.

What the ? ?

A ? ? off the street man?

Disgusting.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Why doesnt a boxer enter the UFC as a pure out and out boxer? Like no ground game whatsoever, but relies on a pure, clinical, technique driven hand game to knock dudes out before they can shoot? Not hating on boxing or MMA, just think that it would be interesting to see. Has there been? Is there any legal or gaming reason that can't happen?
  • blank..
    edited December 2010
    Undisputed

?

Cult
  • blank..
    edited December 2010
    Umberellas

?

Chapstick
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2010
    rage wrote: »
    Why doesnt a boxer enter the UFC as a pure out and out boxer? Like no ground game whatsoever, but relies on a pure, clinical, technique driven hand game to knock dudes out before they can shoot? Not hating on boxing or MMA, just think that it would be interesting to see. Has there been? Is there any legal or gaming reason that can't happen?

James Toney already done got his ass beat.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Will Munny wrote: »
    James Toney already done got his ass beat.

A fat, out of shape Toney who is past his prime and looking for a paycheck.

Why didn't Dana White let Matt Hughes fight Kermit Cintron when he (Hughes) was talking reckless about fighting Mayweather?
    Cintron was willing to come to the UFC to fight him.
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited December 2010
    It's always the same with people that don't like MMA on here they don't like it because it doesn't compare to boxing to them...uih...IT'S NOT BOXING, this makes as much sense as somebody going to burger king expecting a gourmet meal

MMA martial arts is just that martial arts a COMPLETE system of fighting standup, ground, throws, submissions everything, ANY of you that think that a top level boxer (I don't care WHO you pick) could step into the ring and dominate the sport purely off of boxing skill and athleticism are plain stupid.

If you don't like it fine but don't make ignorant statements about something you have no idea on unless you don't mind looking like a bitter ?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    cobbland wrote: »

Why didn't Dana White let Matt Hughes fight Kermit Cintron when he (Hughes) was talking reckless about fighting Mayweather?

word...........
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    word...........

Yeah.
    It wasn't Matt Hughes though, it was Sean Sherk. *Hey they look alike to me.*
    Ring magazine also talked about it.
    Boxing Champ Kermit Cintron Willing to Fight in the UFC
    by Dann Stupp on May 09, 2007 at 4:49 pm ET
    IBF welterweight champion Kermit Cintron is willing to accept the challenge that UFC president Dana White recently issued to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

In the days leading up to his pay-per-view bout with Oscar De La Hoya last weekend, Mayweather made disparaging remarks about UFC fighters, claiming that not only were his MMA counterparts less athletic, but that any boxing champion could easily transition into the UFC and become a champion.

White told Mayweather to put up or shut up, offering the boxer a chance to fight UFC lightweight (155-pound) champion Sean Sherk. White even promised a lucrative fight purse. Mayweather, though, later apologized for the statements and said he wouldn't be fighting in the UFC anytime soon.

Cintron, however, is up for the challenge.

From Kevin Iole at Yahoo! Sports:

Cintron, who will defend his championship against Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City , said he'd be willing to fight Sherk after that.

"I want the fight," said Cintron, who is 27-1 with 25 KOs . "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14."

The Puerto Rican-born 27-year-old didn't actually take up boxing until after a successful run in wrestling. He went undefeated his freshman year of high school in Pennsylvania but never made it to state. Nevertheless, his success in the sport earned Cintron scholarship offers from Ohio State and the University of Wisconsin. He ultimately went to Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology and finished 10th in the nation his freshman year. The wrestling team was disbanded after the season, though, and Cintron devoted his efforts to boxing.

Would the UFC and White accept the offer? It's hard to tell. By offering Mayweather a title shot, the UFC was trying to exploit boxing's "one-trick ponies," as White called them. Although Cintron hasn't seriously competed in wrestling in nearly a decade, he could surely shake off some rust and actually bring some ground skills to the Octagon.

It's impossible to know if those skills and his boxing prowess would be enough to seriously challenge a UFC champion under MMA rules -- and I doubt we ever get the chance to find out. No disrespect intended toward Cintron, but he just doesn't have the name recognition Mayweather does, and his upcoming bout with Matthysse won't garner the headlines that Mayweather vs. De La Hoya did.

Then again, the UFC -- and especially White -- aren't ones to back down from a challenge. Or the occasional novelty act.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/2312/boxer-kermit-cintron-willing-to-fight-in-the-ufc.mma
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Yeah.
    It wasn't Matt Hughes though, it was Sean Sherk. *Hey they look alike to me.*
    Ring magazine also talked about it.

lol @ dana white. floyd has always been a boxer, cintron used to wrestle.
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2010

How old was his opponent?

Dana White and Sean Sherk were all on board to fight Mayweather, but Mayweather wouldn't do it. Smart of him too, cuase he would get worked the ? over.

Who the ? cares are bout Kermit Cintron?