Wikileaks: Diplomatic 9-11, propaganda or signs of modern day political transparancy?

Options
Alkindus
Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
Thats what journalists called the new wikileaks report

Don't know if it is any news where you people are at, but it's kinda a hot topic now here in The Netherlands, most people knew they stashed US nukes here in Holland but most people didn't know that S.Arabia finances Al Qaida/ supports Al Qaida and the US government not only tolerates it openly does business with the people who finance Al Qaida lmao(reminds me of that new southpark episode, its a jersey thang lol)....

The reports are considered a slap in the face for diplomats, some fearing for their life and jobs right now. I do not know what to think about the leaked reports, at one hand I'm happy that we the public can get all this info on the other hand I'm kind of weiry and wonder why they think(the people who leaked the reports) think we are so ? callow because A: we cannot control/examine it for factual evidence(a lot of it is all babble/views of diplomats) B: it might be propaganda because a lot of the info seems to have a dividing intend/underline between certain middle eastern regions.

But I'm probably wrong once again and these leaks simply are the result of the modern information era we are living in, we get everything from the internet nowadays worldwide connected within seconds. It's hard for corporations and politicians to conduct shady business/move in the shadows without people knowing it. I mean the moroccan king have made a lot of people dissapear( couple decades/15 years ago) nowadays that ain;t happening anymore etc without people knowing about it.

whats your take? on the wikileaks report and such?

Comments

• anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited November 2010
    Options
    From what I read on other websites Al Queda is basically funded by the CIA and this Wiki-Leaks site is either working for the U.S. Government or is being manipulated by the U.S. Government. The reasoning behind this is a few days back the U.S. senate had pass a bill that resulted in a number of internet sites being taken down. So people are being to question why this Wiki Leaks site is still operating.
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think it's something people can't judge right away...
  • Alkindus
    edited November 2010
    Options
    anthony7q wrote: »
    From what I read on other websites Al Queda is basically funded by the CIA and this Wiki-Leaks site is either working for the U.S. Government or is being manipulated by the U.S. Government. The reasoning behind this is a few days back the U.S. senate had pass a bill that resulted in a number of internet sites being taken down. So people are being to question why this Wiki Leaks site is still operating.

Yeah now that I think about it, this is perfect material for conspiracy theorists lol, The US government does business with Al Qaida.

But now people all over the world see it as fact and not as fiction, how did politicians react where you at in the states? does it get mentioned that the US conducts business with lads that sponsor Al Qaida knowingly, do journalists take on the issue or does it get ignored?
  • anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Yeah now that I think about it, this is perfect material for conspiracy theorists lol, The US government does business with Al Qaida.

But now people all over the world see it as fact and not as fiction, how did politicians react where you at in the states? does it get mentioned that the US conducts business with lads that sponsor Al Qaida knowingly, do journalists take on the issue or does it get ignored?

it's ignored. Everything's ignored. The white people here are telling Blacks to go back to Africa and people still don't talk about it.
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited November 2010
    Options
    no one gives a ? about any of this. julian assange thinks he is doing the world a favor but no one gives a ? about anything he has done so far.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    whats your take? on the wikileaks report and such?
    interesting in terms of content (although probably overstated prior to release), but unfortunate in that Assange seems to only think a) he needs to worry about the US and b) doesn't think his own organization should be held to the same standards of transparency as he holds others
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Assange seems to only think a) he needs to worry about the US
    They've leaked Russia's and China's ? as well.

But the US is probably more important to the global community. From much of the world's perspective, we're warmongering idiots.
    and b) doesn't think his own organization should be held to the same standards of transparency as he holds others
    ? forbid he take measures to protect his crew when he's exposing some of the most powerful people in the world.
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    They've leaked Russia's and China's ? as well. But the US is probably more important to the global community. From much of the world's perspective, we're warmongering idiots.
    i suppose i don't recall Assange personally calling out Russia and China in the same way. maybe i missed it? granted, the US is going to be the larger, juicier target; i just think he's got bias he's not upfront about.
    ? forbid he take measures to protect his crew when he's exposing some of the most powerful people in the world.
    and here my understanding was that they didn't think you could justify withholding all this secret information...

the guys whose info he leaks say their secrecy is necessary because their work is important, right? but that's not considered a legitimate excuse by Assange. won't name the tax-exempt charities in the US that fund you because naming them might hurt you due to "political sensitivities?" i don't think such things stopped him from leaking any documents. ultimately ii understand the "need for secrecy" argument, but i also understand why it applies, say, to diplomatic cables
  • Alkindus
    edited December 2010
    Options
    So Assange ? of a lot of people, he is now being charged with the ? of 2 woman(eventhough there seems to be no evidence at all) and they say the US government has even put Interpol on his azz and want him behind bars...Assange currently is in ENgland(well yesterday), Interpol has cloud in over 180 + countries lets see how this works out.

The bigger question however is that how 'confidential' are most of these documents when 3 million people in the US alone knew about them>? kinda high amount of people lol

Saw a interview with a Swedish documentary maker(who followed Assange while doing his thing, the documentary will be shown on Swedish television nexht week). Which was quite interesting. Basically he has the entire transparancy/anti corruption plight going on and wishes that we use the internet more for it'snews spreading abilities. Journalists need to get some soul and do their jobs, a lot of things leaked should urge journalists in general to investigate and report but it seems like they in general tend to ignore the interesting stuff and just summarise with what ever event/happening Reuters finds....
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    most people didn't know that S.Arabia finances Al Qaida/ supports Al Qaida

Who didn't know this?
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Nothing really that we didn't know.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's a government sponsored website to data mine all the naughty citizens who read classified information.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's a good thing.
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The bigger question however is that how 'confidential' are most of these documents when 3 million people in the US alone knew about them?
    where exactly does this figure come from? (just curious)
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    so is this information going to hurt other government or just make only the US look bad by displaying the shady practices.... And I wonder if someone from another country can "dump" information out about that country? Also how many of yall think this is a ploy by the US to get mad and start attacking people?

Just got a ton of questions
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    From what Im hearing the best stuff hasn't even been released yet. What do you think they have in their hands that they have yet to release

what info have you found to be the most intriguing so far
  • Jonas.dini
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Most of the "he said... she said" stuff by US diplomats is inconsequential at the end of the day. Countries don't make policy and manage international relations based on that kind of thing.

But the revelation that Arab countries encouraged the US to attack Iran, or that China is prepping for reunification of Korea... those have implications. As does the evidence that the US is spying on other world leaders and diplomats.

Overall I think it's a positive. And no matter who you are it's super interesting and fills in a lot of the details surrounding happenings that have already been reported in the press.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Assange said he's gonna "take down a bank or two" next. I'm definitely interested to see that.